Quantcast
Removing Tree Sap from Car's Paint? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Removing Tree Sap from Car's Paint?

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Default Removing Tree Sap from Car's Paint?

So I got a couple globs of tree sap or something like that on my car... I pressure washed it and got the bulk of the shit off, but theres still some remnants left on the car. Whats the best way to do this without damaging the paint? I've heard rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits, and WD-40 all work... i'd prefer to not have to wax the area afterwards.

Anyone have experience with this?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

clay bar is your best bet
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    USE20

Methyl Hydrate is the best for removing tree sap it works wonders. You can grab a jug of it from Home Depot or any hardware store. Trust me it will not peel paint or thin it its simply the active ingredient in windshield washer fluid.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

yup methyl hydrate is the way to go

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

what about Goof Off?

I've tried goof off. It will leave the paint looking blurry but if you apply wax afterwards it would look new again. Not sure if the paint is damaged during the process though.

My Ride
    R50

Originally posted by spikers
    clay bar is your best bet
    +1

Don't need any commercial grade stuff. Just Mother's kit from Can Tire would work. Takes like five passes on the area and the sap will be gone.

And might you as well do the whole car while you're at it dude. Tons of vids on youtube to show you how, I've tried it last mth and I couldn't be happier with the result.

My Ride
    eg6 b16a2

its easier to remove if the tree sap is fresh. you can leave some methal clorine for 5 minutes and then pressure wash it. if been there for months best bet is to wetsand then polish, or use nail polish.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Get a product called Tarminater, spray wait a few seconds and you will be able to wipe it off easily.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

get alcohol, i had the same problem you had, but it was ALL OVER my car, i made the mistake of parking under a tree for a few months while i went to India, so the sap was everywhere....

i tried,

goo gone
    nail polish remover
    clay bar
    bug spray <apparently this works too>
    rubbing alcohol <worked best>

i found rubbing alcohol worked best, it took about a total of 20 hours <over the span of 4 days> to get all the sap off my car, but now its all gone.

little hint, get the rubbing alcohol that comes in a spray bottle @ shopper drugmart, then spray the sap and wait a few mins, don't let the alcohol dry, then gently rub it off, and repeat till sap is gone..

DO NOT TRY TO SCRAPE OFF the harden sap, the sap does cause scratching on the paint, so you'll need to have to rub it off with the alcohol.... you can pm me if you have any questions
    Last edited by beyondpinoy; 08-18-2008 at 11:52 PM.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

definitely go with the methyl hydrate, comes off with extreme ease in seconds, you barely have to apply pressure to the spot, its what most detailers use

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I looked around, and what I ended up doing was using Hand Sanitizer (Purell) and then windex. It was just a bit of dried remnants, so the purell got the bulk of it off, then the windex took care of the rest. I used a spray bottle of water too and then immediately went to the carwash since i didn't want to risk damaging the paint. Looks good!
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer