Quantcast
XR4Ti vs RX7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: XR4Ti vs RX7

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default XR4Ti vs RX7

Title basically says it all. These cars (of similiar years and shape) go for similiar prices... high-end RX7's notwithstanding. Lets just say I was going to pick one of these cars up: which one should I choose.

Of course the cars are fairly different in nature, but each have the basic similiarities of RWD and decent power for the era. This is all hypothetical in nature

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Xr4Ti

Rare Euro inspired. tons of parts available for 2.3 Ford, and I'm sure they're a lot cheaper than the Rotary.

ALSO, Western motorsports knows the 2.3 Turbo motor quite well and can hook you up. Might be tough getting rotary specific Parts and service locally.

EDIT: If you're serious about the Xr4ti, Why not look into the Mustang SVO? those cars Rock!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Well there is RX7 Specialties for the rotary. But yes, XR4Ti is a very cool car. 2.3L's are strong motors and love boost. Its always cool to see a nice Merkur.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

rx7 looks better IMO but everything underneath the skin of the XR4Ti is better.

So it is up to you
    Cos...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

XR4Ti, very unique cars with more support than you might expect.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wow, let's choose between 2 of the most unreliable cars ever .

I used to own an XR4Ti. It's peppy, but man did EVERYTHING break on that car. I gave it to my bro, and he had it just as bad as me lol. At least he made it look decent:

If you think Merkur parts are cheap, you are mistaken. Getting some of those parts are fucking tough!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

i actually had to google XR4Ti because i had never heard of it before lol. neat little car
    1995 Talon Esi - 1989 Lebarron - 1991 Mr2 Turbo - 1991 Accord - 2005 Corolla - 2005 R6 - 1993 Talon Tsi - 2013 Mustang Coupe - 1997 Grand Prix GTP

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Anyways if you need parts:

http://www.rapidogroup.com

They're the only place to get some of the tough to get parts.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I've owned 2 RX7's and my friend had a XR4, which I grew to know quite well.

Let's compare:

Design: The RX7 has an understated design, but one which still looks good (though dated) today. The XR4Ti looks peculiar. This can be good if you like original, and "different" looking cars. This can be bad if you like cars that are truly good looking, rather than strange looking. For interior design, the Mazda also wins imo, and does not look as dated as the Merkur by far.

Performance: As far as handling goes, you will simply be hard pressed to find better than the RX7. Not to say the Merkur is a slouch with it's fully independant suspension - it's surprisingly good, but not AS good imo.

However, in a straight line the Merkur has the advantage. Quite a sizable one if you get the 5spd, and an experienced driver who can get a good launch.

Quality: This is a tough one. The RX7 is generally well built and reliable. Except for the engine. The problem is that the rotary is a very picky engine and must be VERY well maintained. If it is not, then it *will* blow. IF you buy one, ensure that it is in good shape, and if you can find one which does not have the fuel flooding issue. If it has not been rebuilt yet, you can expect to do so at a large expense. RX7 Specialties will make your bumhole look like the mouth to a cave.

The Merkur is much much cheaper for parts. It's unfortunate you will need a lot of them. While the RX7 might have a weak engine, the Merkur has weak everything.

In my opinion, the XR4Ti was a good attempt and has it's definate merits. But it's a brutal piece of machinery that will likely break down on you everywhere. But in the end, you're still talking about two very old cars that are prone to failure at this point and despite the Mazda's quality components, I'm not sure you'll be much better off.

Also, check the exhaust on the Mazda. It's very expensive to repair.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

But in the end, you're still talking about two very old cars that are prone to failure at this point and despite the Mazda's quality components, I'm not sure you'll be much better off.
    Way to sour my thread

So far you guys are working at making me do the mature and responsible thing and keep my reliable japanese piece of machinery while going to school. Its so... BORING though.

Edit-
    All of this ^^^ hypothetically of course...

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Honestly dude - if you already have a car that is reliable, you might as well stick with it. Buying one of these older cars is more likely to give you headaches than anything, and let's face it... a 0-60 of 8.5 seconds (on the RX7) is really nothing to write home about...

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Ask Jim Rome which car to get.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Darkane
    EDIT: If you're serious about the Xr4ti, Why not look into the Mustang SVO? those cars Rock!
    didnt they come with the same engine?,OP go with the XR, i'm sure he wants something that handles better than a brick with marshmallows for suspension A friend had one in high school, worst car ever to have in high school for obvious reasons , but his dad was a mechanic and he loved that damned german Ford to death.

i've always thought XRs were interesting/unique cars, because of the one day when i was about 8 and 3 of these things, all black (maybe 1 was dark green like rage's) with full tint and rims come off the offramp from memorial to deerfoot all doing at least 160 out of the corner and the last one in the pack shot flames out the exhaust.

well maybe it wasn't 160 but when you're 8 years old, you're driving with your parents in the family Tercel, never seen a car go that fast on the streets while shooting fireballs out the tailpipe, it might as well have been 200 out the corner.

RX7 is the better choice, unless you want a car to be unique. If you care at all about performance, go with the RX7.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 962 kid
    RX7 is the better choice, unless you want a car to be unique. If you care at all about performance, go with the RX7.
    You know he's talking about 1st gen RX7 right?

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Originally posted by Kloubek
    [B] RX7 Specialties will make your bumhole look like the mouth to a cave.[/]
    LOL!

Originally posted by rotten42
    [B]

Ask Jim Rome which car to get. [/]
    LOL!

The solution is obvious, get a first gen RX7 and do a Small block Chev, and watch everyone cringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I'm pretty sure I am talking about a 2nd gen... shit, did I just question rage about what I am thinking?!

I guess I should have clarified, but the last year of 1st gen RX7 was the same year the XR4Ti came out so I thought that when I said similiar age it would all make sense (in reference to a 2nd gen). My bad.

Originally posted by rotten42
    Ask Jim Rome which car to get.
    Exactly what I was thinking too lol
    I can not take that cars name seriously now.

Buying an RX7 is like showing up to a party dressed in sweat pants then popping a boner.

Originally posted by rage2

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    [B]

I'm pretty sure I am talking about a 2nd gen... shit, did I just question rage about what I am thinking?! /B]
    ha, I was right and rage was wrong. Pretty sure that deserves a custom user title. Either way though, the xr is a lame car for modding if you like over 300hp. The heads won't flow over 300hp without serious modification, the transmissions start breaking at around 250 ft/lbs of tq, they like to blow head gaskets, etc etc. They also have super, super flexible chassis.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So... uh... was a conclusion formed here about which one to get? I have a 1987 XR I'm probably going to check out on Friday and an 1988 RX7 (GXL) as well. Did I just type that out loud? I'm leaning towards the Merkur due to its turbocharged goodness and all-around uniqueness (hey, what can I say I've been driving turbo sprints for the past 4 years and have 4 at the moment ) It also comes with 4 brand new winter tires which is a big plus

Unless somebody can say that magical spinning triangles will make me a convert somehow. I've been around the Ford 2.3 a bit and know it is tough as hell.

And just so everybody knows, the car is not going to need to be daily driven. I'm catching a bus to school hence why I am even considering downgrading to something a bit less practical/more fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast