Quantcast
annnnd another murder - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: annnnd another murder

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I just found out tonight that I knew the victim from a long time ago. I find what the media says about it being a revenge thing a bit hard to believe. I was once closely acquainted with his family. Last time I saw him, he was literally a child. I lost touch with his family and all so I can't honestly say what became of his life before this happened, but I'd like to believe that he turned out to be a decent person. My sympathies go out to his family. R.I.P Kenny.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by frozenrice
    I was once closely acquainted with his family. Last time I saw him, he was literally a child. I lost touch with his family
    Then why is the revenge thing hard to believe?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

BTW thats all media bullshit, I knew the guy and he wouldn't stab someone. Like the others said, he was a really chill guy. I just went to a movie with him a few days before... *sigh* fucking bullshit
    Heard the same from his close friends who Im close with. The revenge is a bullshit story from the guy who killed him. A poor attempt to get out of his second degree murder charge.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by interlude
    Heard the same from his close friends who Im close with. The revenge is a bullshit story from the guy who killed him. A poor attempt to get out of his second degree murder charge.
    I dunno any of the details, but wouldn't a revenge story solidify a second degree murder case against the guy?

If it was a random bar fight that ended in murder, it'd be manslaughter.

If it was revenge and he went to beat the guy up and he died, that'd be 2nd degree.

If it was revenge and he went and planned to kill the guy, it'd be first degree.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

I dunno any of the details, but wouldn't a revenge story solidify a second degree murder case against the guy?

If it was a random bar fight that ended in murder, it'd be manslaughter.

If it was revenge and he went to beat the guy up and he died, that'd be 2nd degree.

If it was revenge and he went and planned to kill the guy, it'd be first degree.
    you have a point. But still.. the douchebag is using a BS story. Courts will settle it. But with our laws.. he'll rot in jail for what? 4 years and he'll be out again. Assuming this is his first charge.

My Ride
    A250

I seriously doubt it's manslaughter when the guy heads into the washroom to grab something and comes out from behind him and hits him across the head with a toilet cover. Thats intentional is it not?

Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA
    I seriously doubt it's manslaughter when the guy heads into the washroom to grab something and comes out from behind him and hits him across the head with a toilet cover. Thats intentional is it not?
    Hitting someone with a blunt object is a tough one, it could go eaither way.

He obviously intended to harm him, but might get 2nd degree because he didn't have the intent to kill.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

manslaughter, out in 3
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

The problem with laying murder charges and manslaughter charges is one of proving intent; yes, he may have grabbed that toilet tank lid with the intent of dummying the victim with it - but did he have the intent necessary to form the mens rea element of first or second degree murder? It's very hard to say without being in his head.

You, and I, and for the most part any other reasonable person could go out on a limb (but still with some degree of certainty) and say that hitting someone in the head with a heavy ceramic object is likely going to cause grievous bodily harm or death, BUT! The courts don't look at it that way. There has to be some way to prove that he had the intent to kill him - for first degree, that he intended to do so when he grabbed that toilet tank lid and committed the act, and for second degree that he may not have initially intended to kill him but while he was assaulting him he decided to follow through and kill him.

Where a manslaughter charge becomes appropriate is when it doesn't appear likely that the Crown can prove that intent - so it boils down to whether or not the person who committed that offence was aware that his actions could have resulted in the death of another, and whether that person was negligent in his actions leading to that death.

The Crown will for the most part only lay charges it feels it can prove, otherwise it will be a lost cause and the potential for punishment diminishes - something which noone will accept. I would say from what I have seen in this case, regardless of whether he was looking for revenge or not - he must have formed the intent to kill him while he was hitting him with that lid, and as such was charged accordingly.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Originally posted by phil98z24
    talkkkytalk
    But one thing to consider regarding weather he decided in the act to kill the man would be if it was numerous blows, or just one blow with the lid and then he legged it.

That could be considered a factor in these types of cases, for sure - at least in this case there was something there that warranted second degree murder charges, and hopefully they will go through!

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I just found out about this - I am absolutely shocked and saddened.

I worked with the victim for a short period of time (about 4 months). This morning I was just reading about how the Alberta Government is putting funding into preventing gang related crime and thinking "what a waste, its the people who go looking for it who get into trouble".

I knew from second hand that Kenny did not live a lifestyle where he would be imprevious to being targeted in gang related activity - however my memories of him are far from that. I remember him to be exceptionally personable, and having a really fun attitude. Even several months/years after working with him he would always greet me with a smile and ask me how things were with geniuine interest.

Per my opinion, I always found "rest in peace" to be a somewhat disturbing way of looking at death - rather hope that Kennys positive deeds in this life will pass over as merit in his next.

My sympothies go out to his family and friends.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 08-25-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Then why is the revenge thing hard to believe?
    I'm saying that it's hard to believe that he would have done anything to provoke this based on what I remember of them. As I said, I lost touch with them, things/people change so who knows what led up to this.

Based on what others are saying too, I'm not the only one that's shocked by this.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Even though many here would argue cops are stupid, they arent so stupid that they would take the accused's word as fact and issue a statement saying there was a previous dispute between the two based on that. There must be a police file somewhere that links the two individuals for the police to make such a statement. See below.

Although Wong's friends deny rumours or suggestions he may have been involved in a previous physical altercation with his attacker, police say reports show the two men have crossed paths.

"I know that there was some previous dispute and that may have had an impact on the dispute the other night," said Acting Staff Sgt. Patty McCallum.

Wong's girlfriend said "he never carried weapons and he never wanted to get into fights."

However, McCallum said sometimes people hide information from those they care about.

My Ride
    A250

Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
    Even though many here would argue cops are stupid, they arent so stupid that they would take the accused's word as fact and issue a statement saying there was a previous dispute between the two based on that. There must be a police file somewhere that links the two individuals for the police to make such a statement. See below.

Although Wong's friends deny rumours or suggestions he may have been involved in a previous physical altercation with his attacker, police say reports show the two men have crossed paths.

"I know that there was some previous dispute and that may have had an impact on the dispute the other night," said Acting Staff Sgt. Patty McCallum.

Wong's girlfriend said "he never carried weapons and he never wanted to get into fights."

However, McCallum said sometimes people hide information from those they care about.

Link to this article please. I can understand what you're saying but I knew him and his girlfriend personally and I'm not going to hide anything. He wasn't the type that would carry a weapon and pick fights with people. He was extremely chill and was a fun guy to be with.

first, can't believe beyond deleted my account, I was a member from ab cars days haha.

and wow this is crazy sad. I met kenny a looong time ago when he was still in med hat and I feel bad for this, but we used to call him "type-r" and his cous "type-r junior" cause he always wore a shirt literally with the b18c5 engine on it.

RIP

and for those who know, another young asian was killed outside of a club in van. terrible week...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by finboy
    manslaughter, out in 3
    Tyler Lee Nolet, 25, is charged with one count of second-degree murder.
    Out in 10.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Xtrema

Out in 10.
    he'll make a deal on a lesser charge, 10 years?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4