Quantcast
MR2 Spyder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MR2 Spyder

My Ride
    A Pearl Diamond

Default MR2 Spyder

What do you guys think about the mr2 spyder??? I was looking at the it's numbers and 138hp and 128ft of torque is nothing! Why did they downgrade the numbers from the older gen mr2? I had a 91 turbo before and that was fun car to drive, I just hope they have a turbo version coming out or they make kit for it,
    Anyone know?

look at its weight... it weighs almost nothing (in terms of cars)...
    i've heard it handles very well.
    power isn't everything. :P

anyone know if the MRS will make it to this side of the border?

Basically it's now here to compete with the Miata, Boxster, SLK...etc. I like to call it the MR-S all the time because I refuse to recognize it as a MR2 replacement. It's not longer fast in a straight line, but apparently it handles really well.

The car comes with a 1ZZ-FE engine and TRD does have a supercharger for it, non-intercooled. Supposed to make 170ish HP. There are some people doing turbo kits for it, but really what's the point? It's a econo-box fuel effecient engine and not a performance engine. The ultimate is if you can swap in the latest generation of the 3S-GTE in it.

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

sweet cars, but not a whole lot faster then the MK1 MR2's, which dosnt make a whole lotta sense why Toyota would do that.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Is thing coming to Canada?
    Autosignature

lammer Guest

i saw a red one today.

My Ride
    ZN6, JCE10

supposed to be coming to Canada in 04... though that doesn't seem to be happening.

2zzge from Celica fits...

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Any idea on pricing?
    Autosignature

Not sure what the list price was on the turbo SW20, but almost for sure it was a lot higher than the miata of the time. Now the MR2 is just a tiny bit costlier.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    2019 RS3, Corolla winter beater

Originally posted by lammer
    i saw a red one today.
    Really??? I didn't know they were registerable in Canada yet... that's good news! Last I heard Toyota Canada was debating the feasibility of bringing them over here. The MKIII MR2's are closer in design concept to the MKI's which were light, nimble, tossable and just fun to drive. I just wished they offered a hardtop version of the current model...

this is kinda OT but, in my opinion the MRS is like a cheap more economical version of a boxster, i mean they look sooooo much alike in the front *just take off the toyota logos n stick some porche 1s on

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

your gonna have a hard time turning the car with that other engine, weight balance is going to be way off.

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
    Basically it's now here to compete with the Miata, Boxster, SLK...etc. I like to call it the MR-S all the time because I refuse to recognize it as a MR2 replacement. It's not longer fast in a straight line, but apparently it handles really well.

The car comes with a 1ZZ-FE engine and TRD does have a supercharger for it, non-intercooled. Supposed to make 170ish HP. There are some people doing turbo kits for it, but really what's the point? It's a econo-box fuel effecient engine and not a performance engine. The ultimate is if you can swap in the latest generation of the 3S-GTE in it.
    Having a fast Honda is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still retarded

lammer Guest

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

niether is the civic engine, im sure you have heard stories about dirty_sohc and ed the sohc.

With enough money anything is possible I know. Even though the Civic engine would not be my 1st candiate for performance, I give props to the people that can reliably extract power out of it, just like James Chen and his MR-S that puts out 308RWHP from a turbo 1ZZ-FE. I am just a lazy ass and want easy power...and that's building on a factory turbo engine and modding that, not going the hard road and building on an engine that came in a economy car.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

The mr2 spyders are awesome little cars..they dominate the gt300 class in jgtc and are an abolsute blast to drive. So theyre not the fastest thing in a straight line big deal, they embrace what the original mr2s once were. if you want power and speed thats not a hard thing to do, get yourself a decent turbo kit and low boost and with 180-200rwhp youre in the 13-12s (at sealevel). The mr2 spyder was supposed ot arrive in canada for this year but toyota canada pulled the plug because they didnt feel it would be worth it. it may be sold here next year..only time will tell..i wouldnt trade my sw20 for one but id happily own both!
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB