Quantcast
The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread - Page 160 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 160 of 162 FirstFirst ... 150 159 160 161 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 3226

Thread: The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Prelude_dude
    Anyone play at Clear 1 here or want to play like once a week?

I am an intermediate player.

I had a group to play with every week, but then slowly people started to bail out. Now we haven't played in like 3 months.
    I also haven't played in 3-4 months @ Clearone. Not sure I would call myself intermediate but it'd be something I'd be interested in getting back into more often especially as weather turns! We used to be sunday mornings with entry level players... maybe I should get that going again.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Wow, almost makes getting a membership there worth it if the courts aren't busy there anymore.
    It's dead lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2005 F350

took a 2.5 month break from playing. went and played on sunday and damn I'm sore

getting too old for this sport. it has destroyed my joints.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by SOAB
    took a 2.5 month break from playing. went and played on sunday and damn I'm sore

getting too old for this sport. it has destroyed my joints.
    I find the mats at SBC harder on the knees than ClearOne's floors; though they're never clean and it's just a slip-and-slide until they re-do them; then it's too grippy.

My Ride
    M

At SBC, there are mats below the green mats. Supposed to be better for the knees.

My Ride
    NC1

rough getting up this morning after a couple chill games. hate that feeling.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    M

At least you didn't pull any muscles like I did!

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Originally posted by jwslam

I also haven't played in 3-4 months @ Clearone. Not sure I would call myself intermediate but it'd be something I'd be interested in getting back into more often especially as weather turns! We used to be sunday mornings with entry level players... maybe I should get that going again.
    Let me know if you get that going again. I'd be down to play Sunday mornings.

I think I've played with you at Talisman before, your username rings a bell.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Is Clear One the place to go for Badminton in terms of how busy it gets and price? Been looking to play a bit but checked out a couple recreational facilities and it is always busy/booked for badminton.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by gyu
    Is Clear One the place to go for Badminton in terms of how busy it gets and price? Been looking to play a bit but checked out a couple recreational facilities and it is always busy/booked for badminton.
    It's because ClearOne and SBC are the only dedicated Badminton facilities in Calgary (AFAIK). It caters to more advanced players because there's no dangers of random basketballs rolling into your court etc. There's also no setup/teardown of the nets and they're regulation height.

There are differences other than just location; these are differences as to why I haven't been to SBC in a while.

Pricing is different because of membership requirements and per use cost. SBC annual membership is more expensive (must be paid to use their facilities, per use fees extra), whereas Clearone annual membership includes 3 drop in sessions.

The flooring is different; I find SBC harder on my knees as they are rubber grip mats vs ClearOne has "springy" floors or whatever they call it.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Originally posted by jwslam

It's because ClearOne and SBC are the only dedicated Badminton facilities in Calgary (AFAIK). It caters to more advanced players because there's no dangers of random basketballs rolling into your court etc. There's also no setup/teardown of the nets and they're regulation height.

There are differences other than just location; these are differences as to why I haven't been to SBC in a while.

Pricing is different because of membership requirements and per use cost. SBC annual membership is more expensive (must be paid to use their facilities, per use fees extra), whereas Clearone annual membership includes 3 drop in sessions.

The flooring is different; I find SBC harder on my knees as they are rubber grip mats vs ClearOne has "springy" floors or whatever they call it.
    Thanks for the info, we are definitely not advanced or even intermediate. Any suggestions on some places for a couple newbies?

My Ride
    2005 F350

any of the leisure centres in Calgary do have badminton courts available as well.

I do prefer to play on wood spring floors because it is nicer to the joints but I boycotted Clear1 on their opening day. also, they are on the farthest corner of the city from me.

My Ride
    M

Originally posted by gyu

Thanks for the info, we are definitely not advanced or even intermediate. Any suggestions on some places for a couple newbies?

I am a beginner/intermediate and I play at SBC and Westside Rec. Center. Might be playing at SBC this Sunday, PM me if interested.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Originally posted by SOAB
    any of the leisure centres in Calgary do have badminton courts available as well.

I do prefer to play on wood spring floors because it is nicer to the joints but I boycotted Clear1 on their opening day. also, they are on the farthest corner of the city from me.
    Any specific reason why you boycotted Clear1?

Can someone tell me what the etiquette is at SBC for courts? We were there on the weekend and it was very busy, people waiting for virtually every court. The signage says one game to 21 or 15 minutes when it's busy is the rule. One group got mad at us when we asked to play after them, saying that the rule is in fact not what is clearly posted by SBC staff, but rather a "best of 3". Can anyone clarify? There were people playing for over an hour refusing to leave their court as well.

I don't care what it is, I just don't want to be causing any trouble if the accepted rule is in fact something different than what's clearly posted...

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Can someone tell me what the etiquette is at SBC for courts? We were there on the weekend and it was very busy, people waiting for virtually every court. The signage says one game to 21 or 15 minutes when it's busy is the rule. One group got mad at us when we asked to play after them, saying that the rule is in fact not what is clearly posted by SBC staff, but rather a "best of 3". Can anyone clarify? There were people playing for over an hour refusing to leave their court as well.

I don't care what it is, I just don't want to be causing any trouble if the accepted rule is in fact something different than what's clearly posted...
    There are no rules when it comes to mainlanders.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by Prelude_dude

Any specific reason why you boycotted Clear1?
    sorry, didn't see this till now.

I drove across the city on their grand opening to check it out. was ready to buy the required membership to play and they didn't have their debit machine?!?! they wanted me to drive to an ATM to get cash so that I could pay them. after I refused to go for a 15 minute drive to give them money, they refused to let me play.

this was supposed to be their grand opening. they were not ready for it, only accepting cash and then turning away customers for their deficiencies.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

my friends and I would play 2 games and then rotate off when its really busy. 1 game is just not enough to get a sweat on.

a short warm-up and get on with the match.

the problem is that you get people that just stay on court and not play games, just hitting back and forth forever.

my advice is to have your 4-some wait next to a court and once they are done, just hop on. make it obvious that you're waiting.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Anyone still on holiday break?
    Who wants to play some tmr night?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Anyone still on holiday break?
    Who wants to play some tmr night?
    There's a group that plays regularly Wed Clearone 8-10pm
    Get Mrs to message me if you guys wanna come
    Last edited by jwslam; 01-03-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Page 160 of 162 FirstFirst ... 150 159 160 161 ... LastLast