Quantcast
Good Documentaries - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Documentaries

Default Good Documentaries

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

When We Left Earth is a TV series about the early NASA missions, fascinating stuff.

Planet Earth if you haven't seen it already

My Ride
    Z

Planet Earth
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Does it really matter what I drive?!?!?!

Not sure what you're looking for, but one that really stuck to me is: Born Into Brothels. Where it follow the lives of young kids in Calcutta and what their lives are like being raised in brothels, and it shows how the film maker is trying to help them. It's very sad, but touching.
    Where are all the materialistic people?!

Thanks, BCS, I am going to watch When We Left Earth from Brad's website. Any political ones?

ha guys, have you heard of Zeitgeist? It'll change your life!

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Mayday / Air Crash Investigation

Documentaries about aviation disasters -- some very good re-enactements. It's known as "Mayday" in Canada and "Air Crash Investigation" elsewhere. The episodes are all over YouTube...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mayday_episodes

Some of the best episodes include China Airlines flight 006, South African Airways flight 295, Ethiopian Airlines flight 961, and Alaska Airlines flight 291.

A few others are very interesting as well (e.g. Iran Air flight 655 or Japan Airlines flight 123) and carry tremendous historical significance, but the production values of those episodes are not very good. I'd say that in general, season 3 is the worst of the bunch, but still pretty good, while seasons 1, 4, and 5 are all excellent.

Originally posted by arian_ma
    Any political ones?
    Thought you'd never ask

The Power of Nightmares- An amazing three part documentary... follows the development of the Neoconservatives and modern Muslim extremists and shows how they came to power and where their histories overlap since the '50s. Highly recommended... a well shot, well made documentary that gives a good understanding of where these fucked up groups (Neocons, Muslim Extremeists) got their ideas from, how they've changed over the decades, and where they're headed. Made by the BBC, and its interview subjects are all very well respected (former Pentagon higher-ups, people who were working in the CIA while the Neocons were gaining power, etc).

Jesus Camp - A good look into some of the more extreme Evangelic and Pentecostal families and how their children are getting raised and brainwashed, focuses heavily on a camp run by this crazy Pentecostal bitch. Ties in well with The Power of Nightmares, as 25% of Americans say they're Evangelic Christians and are told by the church to vote in Neocons.

Why We Fight - Looks into the links between America's weapons industry, American foreign policy and the American economy; follows on Eisenhower's prophetic warning for Americans to avoid the "Military Industrial Complex" (term coined by Eisenhower) at all costs. Covers pretty much WWII to modern times. A lot of powerful people currently/recently in office are interviewed from both sides of the political spectrum.

The Persuaders - On the Advertising industry and how they're marketing lifestyles over what the product actually is. A pretty good one... makes you look at commercials and political speeches in a whole new light. Shows how they use focused marketing groups, what words elicit subconscious responses from the viewers, and how people don't make purchase decisions on what a product does so much as how they 'feel' about it. .

Outfoxed - On the FOX news network and just how ridiculously right wing it is.

Born Rich - Made by the grandson of Johnson & Johnson, shows the life of ridiculously rich kids (kids whose parents are worth hundreds of millions to multi-billions). Pretty interesting... the interview subjects are now in their 20s and talk about how it was growing up, the drug problems they had, what other people thought of them (one guy didn't know he was rich, and in elementary school one day a classmate saw his dad on the America's Top 40 Richest People list).
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 08-25-2008 at 11:01 AM.

That's a great list Super_Geo, the only one on that list that I have watched is Why We Fight and I barely remember that one. I am going to download all of those tonight.

Gainsbarre, I've actually seen a few episodes of that show, it is very good!

Shake Hands with The Devil. It is a bit of a documentary/biography. It is a really hard movie to get through (for me anyways). But so worth it.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

If you are looking for more of an entertaining documentary in the style of Sicko etc. check out Bigger, Stronger, Faster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger,_Stronger,_Faster*

An interesting documentary that was discussed on here in regards to the use of Anabolic Steroids.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

vbs.tv has some good ones.

PBS Frontline has some good ones as well, check out their website, they are available for free. Country Boys is good, but long.

As mentioned above, Why We Fight, Power of Nightmares, Jesus Camp are good.

My Ride
    '06 BMW 325xi

1 - Muslim Brotherhood: The History Channel does a special on the history of the Muslim Brotherhood. This shows how Al-Qaeda was formed, how the concepts of Suicide Bombings were created, and how anti-western attitudes prevailed. Part 1/5 :

2 - Rise of India[/b]: A short clip abt "India Rising" on ABC news.

3 - [b]Race to the Top of World - India Vs. China[b/] - A 30 min clip from BBC News 24.

4 - India - The land of missing children: an Unreported World documentary about the trafficking of underage girls into prostitution in India. December 2004

5- Hiroshima bombing documentary

6 - Stephen Hawking's Universe

edit: I had copied and saved the links to these videos from a long time but it seems like it's not working anymore. if anyone really is interested in these documentaries try searching on google video
    Last edited by rated_R; 08-25-2008 at 11:49 AM.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

How about you get more work to do

Shake Hands with the Devil is outstanding.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    MKV GTI

rated_R, most of the links you posted do not work.

Edit: I see you already saw that.

Terrorstorm... here it is full version for free on google video.
    It’s about Government sponsored terrorism. It’s a wake up call for people that still think their government is “good” and out to protect freedom, liberty and peace.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...33221213939183
    Last edited by BigMass; 08-25-2008 at 12:01 PM.

My Ride
    impreza

Any more recommendations for religious docs?

I have seen Zeitgeist, Jesus Camp, and another one about the Catholic priests in the US molesting kids, but any other suggestions would be great.

Very good one is "Red China Rising" i believe its called...
    its VERY interesting and rather impartial, talks about the reason chinas economy is booming and reactions to it. as well as the cultural impact on the locals.

My Ride
    '05 Wrx stage 2

Taxi to the dark side, its about guantanamo bay, nominated for an academy award

trailer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast