Quantcast
Calgary Police - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Police

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Default Calgary Police

I did do a search about this and found a couple of topics, but my question didn't really fit with any of them.

I'm almost 21, attending the U of C...considering applying to the CPS when I'm finished university. My driving record is clean, I've never done drugs, 100% clean, yada yada yada.

Here's where the problem is: I'm possibly one of the slowest runners in the world. I'm just not as strong as some people. I was wondering are there any police officers on Beyond that could give me tips on how to prepare for the PARE? (I wouldn't be applying for another year or two probably)

Also, there's the danger factor of the job. I'm not too concerned about it since I've been told that police work is not as dangerous as we make it out to be on TV. But how is the CPS in terms of when you're a assigned to a shift as a newly trained officer, would they throw you by yourself on the night shift? I know for your field training, obviously you'd be with a training officer. But after that period of training, what is the atmosphere of the job like?

Am I making any sense here?

My Ride
    Hondas

*Note to self. Don't say anything incriminating around Stealth22*

But in all seriousness. Train for what you will be doing. if you are a slow runner, then run uphill and push yourself to get stronger. Or you could get a running parachute.

My Ride
    Axis powers

work out, that will be your best option

don't go for big but go for lean, work on your legs and endurance. do wind sprints until you can't take it anymore and then keep doing them.

run everyday, eventually start using a bag and put weights in it

watch the people that do endurance challenges and see how they prepare and train
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

My 2 cents:

You're planning on entering a field which will require you to be physical at one point or another. It's great if you train yourself to pass the test. But it really should not stop there.

As someone who is going to potentially subject himself to life-or-death situations if you do become an officer, I would suggest that a lot of training - even after you pass the test - would be in order. It would suck to get hired, then end up getting beaten to death because you couldn't defend yourself against a drunk woman with a gunt.

Good luck!

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Fights are common. I have several close freinds who are cps and hear lots of stories.

Not only do you have to protect yourself but also your equipment (ie) fending off someone trying to take your gun in a fight and you have to be super careful in how you 'escallate' from hands to baton or taser to weapon at the same time.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I went to one of those PARE orientation session they hold downtown at the gym. I'd recommend that - as you get to do all the testing without being marked.

Apparently pullups give most recruits the greatest difficulty (as opposed to chin ups) so practice those. Also work on your core strenght (situps arent enough - there are specific workouts they will show you).

I am ex-RCMP. The job will be highly variable depending on what area of the city you will be placed in. If you want to be (and you will be give a choice) placed in "the lawn" then expect lots of little shit "files" to deal with (noise complaint, common assaults, uttering threats, willful damage, mischief) ..... vs being in the deep south where it will be quiet - generally - unless you have some douche side swiping 1/2 dozen vehicles in his 1-ton flat bed.
    Last edited by revelations; 08-26-2008 at 03:32 PM.

PM DayGlow or phil98z24

Both are good guys

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I wanted to join the CPS for a long time (see sig). I have a lot of respect for cops, especially because most people don't. It's hard doing what no one ever wants you to do until they need you to save their ass.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

I have done the PARE exam... it doesnt seem like much when you see the course and alot of people tend to go as fast as they can off the start and burn themselves out very fast.... the push/pull is a bit of a nightmare if you are not in good shape. I would recommend doing sprints and cardio to the point where you can go about 75% effort for 4 minutes straight. Dont get too nervous before the test either! They check your blood pressure and the guy beside me was so nervous that his blood pressure was too high and they wouldnt let him take it. If you do make the force you will be assigned to a higher ranking officer for a period of time.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by A790
    I have a lot of respect for cops, especially because most people don't. It's hard doing what no one ever wants you to do until they need you to save their ass.
    I respect the men totally. It is a job I know I can no do and total kudos to anyone who even contemplates that career.

The system and how they are deployed however just makes me shake my head.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by alloroc
    The system and how they are deployed however just makes me shake my head.
    Can you be more specific? (you mean the 6 mo. of training of the time period afterwards)

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Thanks for the comments, all! Definitely going to check out one of those PARE orientation sessions.

Any CPS officers on here who can comment on the atmosphere of the job for new recruits?

I did the Student Police Academy when I was in high school..when it was over, wanted to go back and do all the simulated calls again! Been planning to go on a ride-along since then, never got a chance. Do I just call my district office for that?
    Last edited by Stealth22; 08-26-2008 at 02:28 PM.

contact mount royal continuing education man, they have a program called Police Studies, they baisically cover all issues that relate to policing and give you an inside look of the life of a police officer.
    I took that course and i really enjoyed the content. I would really recommend taking this course if your considering policing.

^ that's an awesome tip!...how much is the course?

Does anyone know when the next Recruitment Info session is?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

PARE test seemed pretty hard when I went and watched my cousin run it.

He is in pretty good shape (but is 35) and he passed it, but looked like he was going to die.
    Cos...

Just for interest sake, can someone post the PARE test? It would be cool to try and emulate it at the gym.

the pare test looks easy as Fcuk

u have never had boot camp training/screwing people over

30 minutes of non stop musle straining, exercises, u start breathing like a horse after 3 minutes, then the last 3 minutes u feel like ur floating...

then cool off is like 20 minutes of jogging...

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Did some investigating on the CPS Recruiting site...

PARE Demo Video: http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com...components.wmv

Selection Process:
    http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com...ction_process/

Info Sessions:
    http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com...ons/index.html

Originally posted by jay42w8
    ^ that's an awesome tip!...how much is the course?

Does anyone know when the next Recruitment Info session is?
    http://conted.mtroyal.ca/policestudies/
    Thats the link for the website, theres 6 classes that you can take in any order, usually when 1 class finishes the next one starts.
    They are usually on Tues. & Thurs. from like 6:00pm til 9:00pm. Very informative, i was considering policing and was enrolled in Criminal Justice at MRC, but i talked to a professor and he recommeneded i do the course.
    You don't NEED this to become an officer but its a great course to take and i really recommend it if your serious about being a police officer.

Is the PARE test the same as the BEEP test?

and has gang shootings and killings lately made you want to join the CPS?

Man I see shit happen everynight and I can't apprehend NOBODY cause I'm a civillian... which is pretty gay IMO. because if you have a bunch of vandels you want to catch them rather than let them go because their minors?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast