Quantcast
Areas outside of Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Areas outside of Calgary

My Ride
    Does it really matter what I drive?!?!?!

Default Areas outside of Calgary

A friend of mine is moving back here after staying in S'toon for a few years. She said that she wants to stay somewhere that has a "small town" feel, and I thought about places like Airdrie, Chestermere, Okotoks, High River, Cochrane, etc.

I don't know too much about these places, but if you guys could give me some insight - that would be great. Another thing that would help are the communities within the towns (ie. what are the good area and what areas should she avoid).

Thanks!
    Where are all the materialistic people?!

small towns don't have superstores, Walmarts and Home Depots.

Got to think even smaller than those towns. Airdrie is one of the fastest growing community in Canada.

Black Diamond, Turner Valley, Beiseker, Irricana, Crossfield would be more small town.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

yah forget chestermere. this place is turning into a dump of losers and broke ass NE people pretending to not be NE.

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

Cochrane is good, i like it we have a superstore and a canadian tire, I enjoy not having to commute on the deerfoot ever, and it still has the small town feel but close enough you can get to Calgary without much hassle. All the areas have their ups and downs but if you were to avoid an area i would say avoid the east end and the center of glenbow other then that its a great place.
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by Kritafo

Black Diamond, Turner Valley, Beiseker, Irricana, Crossfield would be more small town.
    Nobody wants to live in these towns (add High River to this list)

Okotoks wouldn't be too bad since you have all of the stores you would need (including Walmart, CT, Home Depot being built). Service sucks because the town is so full of young people that you are always dealing with 14-16 year olds. Traffic can be a gong show too because of all of the lights along the main strip. You really can't go wrong with any of the newer neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    Modded Turbo Jetta

there are lots of options however without knowing exactly what small town is to her it is tough to point her in the right direction.
    (or him, i cant remember)

Strathmore FTMFW...

It's got a hospital (which none mentioned here have, including cochrane and airdrie) Big box retailers, the rodeo and ALL brand new infrastructure (pop 12,000 infra for 40k) brand new schools (elem, jr high and high), aquatic centre, community centres etc and a great small town feel.

+1 for Strathmore. Great little town with fantastic people.

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    Strathmore FTMFW...

It's got a hospital (which none mentioned here have, including cochrane and airdrie) Big box retailers, the rodeo and ALL brand new infrastructure (pop 12,000 infra for 40k) brand new schools (elem, jr high and high), aquatic centre, community centres etc and a great small town feel.
    Good point, Okotoks doesn't have a hospital
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Originally posted by rmk
    +1 for Strathmore. Great little town with fantastic people.
    Im in on this one.
    My grandparents have always lived there, my mom grew up there. its just a really nice place actually.

Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Good point, Okotoks doesn't have a hospital
    no hospital, but an urgent care center that's awesome and open till 11 (i think it's 11). Plus if I have to goto the hospital, I bet I can get to high river quicker than most people in the city can get to the closest hospital. Not to mention that when the south hospital is done it'll be closer to okotoks than 90% of calgary.
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I think a lot of it will depend on where your friend ends up working. If they are in the NW somewhere, obviously Okotoks wouldn't be the best idea.

All things being equal though I've always been partial to Okotoks. My only issue with Strathmore is the driving time into Calgary.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Nobody wants to live in these towns (add High River to this list)

Okotoks wouldn't be too bad since you have all of the stores you would need (including Walmart, CT, Home Depot being built). Service sucks because the town is so full of young people that you are always dealing with 14-16 year olds. Traffic can be a gong show too because of all of the lights along the main strip. You really can't go wrong with any of the newer neighborhoods.

Hey, I live in Crossfield, its great, and peaceful, HATER.

hah, theres only two tuners in crossfield too, we get looked at like were driving space ships rofl

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Don't go to High River. It always amazes me whe they interview people after high river floods. Hello, you live on a flood plain. Why do you think they can it High River? duh?
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

If she wants small town,.. I would go more towards crossfield or carstairs
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by CRX-R

no hospital, but an urgent care center that's awesome and open till 11 (i think it's 11). Plus if I have to goto the hospital, I bet I can get to high river quicker than most people in the city can get to the closest hospital. Not to mention that when the south hospital is done it'll be closer to okotoks than 90% of calgary.
    Have you been there???

Visit #1: Absolute horrible pain after smacking my ribs in a sledding accident. Urgent care tells me (after 3 hours) that I pulled my muscle. One day later, couldn't take pain anymore, went to hospital - broken ribs

Visit #2: Swelling in cheek, worse pain than broken ribs. Went to urgent care (2 hours), first of all they wouldn't believe I hadn't been in a fight (argued for about 30 minutes), then told me it was my wisdom teeth. Couldn't handle pain after a day, went to hospital. Infection of lymph node - jacked me up on T3's and antibiotics

I have only heard horror stories from that place. It is far from awesome

My Ride

Thanks for all the suggestions. I mentioned them to her, and she's pretty adamant about staying in the south end of town even though she will be working out in the NE?! Doesn't make sense to me, but I guess most of her family lives in the south part of Calgary and she wants to stay somewhat close to them.

Side note, just did a quick check in Strathmore's MLS listings. Some of those places look really nice and are inexpensive compared to Calgary's market.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

dude strathmore is prime... carstairs is a bit far, i got mad fam's up there, but wouldnt be too bad if she was in the NEEEE. strathmore is her best bet

My Ride
    ////M

If she is working in the NE, Okotoks should be OUT for sure. That would be a brutal commute

My Ride

If she is working in the NE, Okotoks should be OUT for sure. That would be a brutal commute
    Ya I told her that and I also mentioned that winter driving would be twice as bad. Do you know how long it would take her to get to the NE via car and train (Somerset > City Centre > say... Franklin station)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast