Quantcast
Educated & Wealthy Beyonders I need advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Educated & Wealthy Beyonders I need advice

My Ride
    RWD/AWD/2WD

Default Educated & Wealthy Beyonders I need advice

I'm working 2 dead end jobs right now to make ends meet and I had an epiphany last night while I was being yelled at by the district manager. I need to get my shit together for the future and would like some suggestions on books. Can some of you suggest books on personal finance (like an idiots guide) & small business start ups? Thanks!

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

any schooling? Are you an A-type personality? Do you have rich parents? Any saved up money?

read "The Wealthy Barber"

if anything itll get you thinking... iv read it a few times.

or take evening classes at one of the college's around town.

My Ride
    E36 M3

I don't think there's really any magic book, not for any great success at least. If you could read a book and become successful, I imagine everyone would do it.

Best thing to do is figure out what it is you love to do and pursue it... Passion makes long days and nights melt away. Do what you love and the money will come. And if it doesn't, at least you love what you do... The news would have you believe that making money in Calgary is a quick and easy thing to do...don't be put off if it takes time...

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

There is this saying, "its not what you know, its who you know"....start networking
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    RWD/AWD/2WD

Educated in Cinema, don't depend on parents, and the obligatory 3 month emergency savings. As of this moment I am looking towards more schooling but trying to pay off my previous student loans are already half killing me.

Rich, dad poor dad isn't about personal finance, it's essentially a story about how a man went from selling copiers to real estate. I'm looking for suggestions more towards money management & doing your own taxes.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Bah, Read:

Think and Grow Rich, THEN decide how you want to become what you consider "Wealthy".

Wealth isn't just money
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Originally posted by Destinova403

Best of the bunch -- common sense and practical advice -- not pie in the sky millionaire overnight BS.

maybe you need to get laid im sure it will help haha
    -Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival-

You can never go wrong with more education, that I can guarantee. Just do your research on whats the best path. The best advice I can give you is that you can never be successful at something you don't like. So make sure you pursue a career in something you really like. You'll do just fine then.

Volinder
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

So from reading your posts I see that you have previous education already...when you say you have student loans.
    May I ask in what field? Perhaps it's time to go back for a bit more education if you don't like the career you're in right now.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Rich Dad, Poor Dad
    Ugh, no.

Originally posted by Destinova403

if anything itll get you thinking... iv read it a few times.
    Yes!

Maybe look into a Finance program at SAIT or MRC. There are also 'applied' versions which are a bit shorter/easier.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    civic

Read the book "The total money makeover". It will do you wonders!

My Ride
    RWD/AWD/2WD

Thanks everyone for the insight but I guess I should be more clear in my situation.

Currently with my chosen career path, I need to get my finances together before I can move forward. Unfortunately Alberta isn't the type of setting where I can succeed in this field.

I am working two dead end jobs to try covering my substantial student loans, and to try living without financial support from my parents . I know this sounds like a boo-hoo SOB story but I am not complaining, I'm looking to get enlightened on how to manage my money and perhaps to start a small business to fuel my ambitions. I'm not asking for some overnight miracle formula to get rich, I am willing to work like a dog to get out of this mediocre life style.

I've already read some general advice from the other finance threads in this forum, but I would like to get some books on how to manage my personal finances and again perhaps start a business. While I like the idea of more education I would rather just try my hand at getting experience due to the time

Coles Notes: I am a fresh graduate that is paying off his student loans with shitty ass jobs. Want to chase my dreams but need finances, want to self-educate myself, looking for suggestions on specific how-to/idiot's guide books.

Read the E-Myth if you want to go into business for yourself.

My Ride
    2008 Lancer GTS

Depending what you graduated from... you shouldn't be in TOO shitty of a job considering you have post secondary education. What program did you complete? Depending what it is... more education might be a good idea

ex) a bachelors degree in science probably does shit for you except get you a research job that pays crap... this opens alot of doors to professional schools though which make tons of money.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Canmorite

Maybe look into a Finance program at SAIT or MRC. There are also 'applied' versions which are a bit shorter/easier.
    Dont waste your time with a cont. Ed course frok MRC though
    Try, "Real estate Riches" from Dolf DeRoos. Brilliant man, brilliant ideas in that book. Chapters should carry it.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    07 Avalanche

Every response here is not very useful. Schooling in finance? books on investing? You need money to invest you morons. He obviously doesn't have any.
    Option 1. School. (A) work until your 50-60 and retire (make okay money and now the financial advice books will help). (B) After 5 years of learning a business, start your own. Fuck up with their money not yours.
    Option 2. Construction/Oilfield (obviously there are more options but you need to pick something simple that profits large [fuck retail and crap like that]). (A) After 5 years start a company.

Bottom line goto school and get a good job or work hard in a shit job that pays well and turn the income into a profitable simple business from the experience from the job.

If you don't have the balls to be an entrepreneur(opening a "small business" like retail is sustainable not profitable in most situations, get the experience in a certain/specialized field) goto school and get a pension in the end. By saying "have the balls" I mean work hard and throw 100k into a company for a 500k business loan. It could be your mortgage. Don't think you're going to turn nothing into something. As the old man says, "hard work pays off". Hard work getting paid well or hard work in school. Decide between the two or work two shit jobs for the rest of you life and be poor. Nothing wrong with being poor.. just make sure you have enough money to retire. Having two poor paying jobs that you enjoy is also quite acceptable.
    Anyways drunk and going to bed. Good Luck!
    Last edited by zarge; 08-27-2008 at 11:50 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by zarge
    Schooling in finance? books on investing? You need money to invest you morons. He obviously doesn't have any.
    You also need ideas, education and as much experience as possible to invest. More important then money.

If you have a great idea, people will come to you.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast