Quantcast
How did you choose your car? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you choose your car?

My Ride
    NC1

Default How did you choose your car?

Just like the subject, how did you guys choose your car? Did you experience love at first sight? Or did it take a couple test drives? Did you compare cars? Price a huge factor? Did you ever think, is it a need or a want? hehe Did you ever buy something and regret doing so? Will you waste all your money on mods? (Something I am VERY worried about)

Reason is, I am having some madd trouble with choosing my next car. Been so long and I am still lost At the rate I am going, I'm going to be driving my dad's minivan for a long ass time!

Maybe some advice from you guys would help me out a bit hehe

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Saw it in grade 6 and loved it ever since, the interior was great the exterior even better, and didnt even planning on doing anything to it, and seeing ludes modifyed made it even better

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

I'm having the same problem you are right now Max, I really have no clue what I really want/need to buy. I change my mind every week, I just cant make up my mind! With my last car, it was kinda a spur of the moment type thing, I needed a car, and I had no clue what i was going to buy. I seen a Passat, and liked the styling of the car, so I bought one. (really wish i didnt now though )
    I know you have probably done a huge amount of research on what kind of car you should buy(and most likely have somewhat of a list??right.). So if money is a factor, then your choices should be cut down alot there. I think the WRX would fall in to that catagory.(somewhat cheaper) If not, then what do u really need? A sportscar (slk32 AMG), luxury/touring car (BMW 3 series), the list could go on. If money isnt a factor, just buy what you REALLY want. Just my $0.02.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by shadowz
    Saw it in grade 6 and loved it ever since, the interior was great the exterior even better, and didnt even planning on doing anything to it, and seeing ludes modifyed made it even better
    I saw you and your buddies down on 17th today eating Ice cream, very tight rides! I was with my gf getting ice cream from baskin&robbins

Seeing all those imports made me wish I still had my SC Lude hehe

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by James
    I'm having the same problem you are right now Max, I really have no clue what I really want/need to buy. I change my mind every week, I just cant make up my mind! With my last car, it was kinda a spur of the moment type thing, I needed a car, and I had no clue what i was going to buy. I seen a Passat, and liked the styling of the car, so I bought one. (really wish i didnt now though )
    I know you have probably done a huge amount of research on what kind of car you should buy(and most likely have somewhat of a list??right.). So if money is a factor, then your choices should be cut down alot there. I think the WRX would fall in to that catagory.(somewhat cheaper) If not, then what do u really need? A sportscar (slk32 AMG), luxury/touring car (BMW 3 series), the list could go on. If money isnt a factor, just buy what you REALLY want. Just my $0.02.
    Dude, you really spoke my mind! I have been pondering all of the above for awhile now!

I have a list of cars, I have done all possible research, I've even test drove most of them and still no clue. Go figure

My Ride

Originally posted by max_boost

Dude, you really spoke my mind! I have been pondering all of the above for awhile now!

I have a list of cars, I have done all possible research, I've even test drove most of them and still no clue. Go figure
    What can i say , shit, you have test drove all the cars, and you still have no clue? I dont know what to say man.:duh:

The reason I listed those cars, is because I have heard you mention you were interested in all of them before, on that other cars site , I would get another BMW if I were you, didn't you say how you loved your old car so much?? just get its younger brother, an E46 M3!

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Thanks Max_boost you shoulda come to phils icecream way better imo, but as for your car troubles, yes why dont you get a more affordable sports car like a WRX(very quick stock) or acura CL sporty, fast and luxurious, also theres the good ol supra which are fast and are still more afforable than a mercedes, not by much but still, unless you are set on buying a new car?

My Ride

Hey, Shadowz, did u get your car when you were in grade 6?:duh: or is that just when they came out, and you first saw them? When did you paint it Orange/gold??

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

No I saw it in grade 6 that was in 93 I think? Thats when I saw it and loved it. But no I got my car when I turned 16 that was 2 and a half years ago, and I repainted m car last June , and its orange not gold

My Ride

No I saw it in grade 6 that was in 93 I think? Thats when I saw it and loved it. But no I got my car when I turned 16 that was 2 and a half years ago, and I repainted m car last June , and its orange not gold
    Ahh, ok thats makes more sense, , yeah I knew it was Orange, just a very shinny Orange!:p

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I totally fell in love with the 2.5RS at the '99 auto show. When I started looking for a new car later that year, I test drove a whole bunch of stuff but still liked the RS the best. For me, the car was a perfect fit. Reliable, good on gas, good for winter and a blast to drive. There are now a lot more cars that I would have test drove, but I doubt that my decision would be different (excepting that I would probably get a WRX instead).

My Ride
    Corolla

the finance rate is what made me choose it hehehe, but yea, back when I was in Highschool I already love the Gen 2 teg, so in some sense I got my dream car.

when you see the car you want you'll know it if your not so sure than its probably not it for you.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Well, I'm not rich like all you other guys, I just bought whatever I had money for. $1500 doesn't go very far these days. I had a nice truck, which I also bought only cause I liked the looks, originally I wanted a Car...
    Travel

I wanted a convertible really bad after driving rage2's SLK. Prior to this, I was set on buying an E46 of some sort. After hearing about the AMG version of the SLK, I was sold and put my deposit down and waited for the car to arrive. I had 4 months to decide on what color, and options I wanted. I have absolutely no regrets on choosing the car that I now own. I believe in enjoying life a day at a time, and would never consider "waiting till I'm older" to get this car because you just never know what will happen in the future. Carpe Diem!
    ---

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Well why dont you start with some basics

Budget for purchase
    Budget for insurance
    Budget for maintenance
    Stock HP/torque wanted
    Do you want to mod the car
    How do the dealers take mods on the cars?

etc...

Originally posted by redline
    Well why dont you start with some basics

How do the dealers take mods on the cars?

etc...
    I think that this is a biggy when you are buying a new car and plan on modifying it. Don't be like me and buy the extended warranty when you plan on big mods

Why don't you list the qualities you want in a car and open it up for debate here/

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I choose the SLK because we already had one in the family, and everyone fought for the car. We needed another one to bring the family together =).

The Porsche, my dad initially bought it. After I started driving it, I sunk my entire student loan on the car. Since then, it's a big loss if I tried to sell it, so it's gonna stay with me forever.

Other cars I've owned over the years :

Austin Mini - My dad's car, 4 speed manual, top speed of 120km/h. I learned to drive stick in this beast when I was 12 (hehe).

Acura Integra LS - My first real car, too bad it was a written off car and I wrote it off again (if that's even possible)... I used to be your typical Asian driver. 2 accidents a year? =)

Mazda 323 hatchback - The bubble hatch, I loved this car, many many stories, company delivery car. A few accidents in this car, both were not my fault (drunk ran red light, UPS delivery guy changed lanes into my rear fender, some trucker rear ended me). Retired when I broke the tranny, lost 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd gear starts are tough...

Merkur XR4Ti - 2.3L turbo, lots of mods available, but couldn't afford to do it. MrX owns this beast now.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

CRX - Drove a friends 89 CRX one night, and knew I had to have one. Kept searching for over a year, then finally found one for a good price. It's somewhat quick and handles well for a stock car, and there's so much you could do to it.

Protege5 - Me and my GF needed a second car, so we thought we might as well find a new car and keep it for a while. It's an awesome family car/wagon. Nice, aggressive styling....roomy interior, handles awesome, and comes pretty much loaded with options. But it was the price and finance rate that pretty much sealed the deal.

MazdaSpeed MP3 - Wait and see.

When I bought a car last year it was out of pure desire. I loved the look of the E46 3-series and went from a 320i eventually to specing the 330Ci that I finally bought. It was a very natual decision and was pretty easy in reality.

Every car I've seen which made me say 'I want that' has always been based on the first impression: looks. If you can't stand the way it looks, it's just going to wear on you in time. Performance and comfort always came afterwards.

There's 'cheaper' cars I like and there are cars that only the select few can afford that I like - and dislike as well.

I think the biggest problem you're having max is the fact that you've test driven so many cars. Cars that compare equally to each other in terms of performance and comfort. You just haven't seen that one car that screams your name (might be a color combo as well)

*Shrug* I guess it's just easy for me to find things I like. Always have been able to find something in a niche market I know nothing about that I must have.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast