Quantcast
3G iphone without data contract? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3G iphone without data contract?

Default 3G iphone without data contract?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but is there any way to get an iphone through a contract with fido or rogers without having to sign up for data? I spend a good chunk of my time either at the university, home, or at my job, and all these places have wifi access, so I really don't need the $30 data plan and would definitely rather avoid paying it over 3 years which works out to almost $1200.

Is my only other option just to get one of the first gen iphones?

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

I think you can get the 3g iphone with ONLY a voice contract as long as it's a 3 year term. I think the phone would cost you a bit more versus purchasing it with a data plan.

If all fails, you can always just get the data plan included in the plan and cancel it after 1 month of use and just pay the $100 data plan cancellation fee which would be cheaper to do versus carrying it over for 3 years.

Why don't you call Rogers first thing tomorrow and ask about your options.

If you just check the website, you'll find the answer is "yes, you can get it without data".

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

Originally posted by szw
    If you just check the website, you'll find the answer is "yes, you can get it without data".

me and the wife upgraded our phone's and she didnt get the $30/6gb plan. so the answer is yes.

My Ride
    2016 VW GLI

Originally posted by JordanAndrew
    I think you can get the 3g iphone with ONLY a voice contract as long as it's a 3 year term. I think the phone would cost you a bit more versus purchasing it with a data plan.

If all fails, you can always just get the data plan included in the plan and cancel it after 1 month of use and just pay the $100 data plan cancellation fee which would be cheaper to do versus carrying it over for 3 years.

If you get the 6 GB unlimited data plan they are offering you cannot cancel after 1 month. You are locked in for the full contract (3 years) and if you chose to cancel you are charged $10 a month, instead of $30 a month for the remainder of the contract.

Originally posted by Danish

If you get the 6 GB unlimited data plan they are offering you cannot cancel after 1 month. You are locked in for the full contract (3 years) and if you chose to cancel you are charged $10 a month, instead of $30 a month for the remainder of the contract.
    but you can still cancel within the 1 month and its all gravy.

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

yes and yes !!

I cannot believe how lazy and or common senseless some of you kids are.

Google that shit or check out the respective site before posting on here and waiting on your fat lazy ass for others to do the work.

'07's.

Originally posted by JordanAndrew

1) You have to get a 3 year contract anyways, it doesn't matter if you get data or not. The phone is the same price with or without the data.

2) You can cancel it before one month of use. There is no data plan cancellation fee.

3) Correct.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    I cannot believe how lazy and or common senseless some of you kids are.

Google that shit or check out the respective site before posting on here and waiting on your fat lazy ass for others to do the work.

'07's.

lol seriously man, suck a dick

i read some info on several sites and forums that have conflicting opinions, so i thought i would check with some of the people here who may have tried.

what difference does it make to your own fat ass, hiding behind a computer screen trying to sound all high and mighty, whether I choose to post this question here? Do you have some repressed self-esteem issues that are helped by you voicing your anger and authority on a fucking internet board?

thanks to everyone else though that offered constructive input.

ANYWAYS asides from a rant, I called fido a couple of hours ago...I talked to their retention plan line, and was able to get a 3 year deal without data (as they blocked data on the phone), $50 discount on the 16 gb so $250, plus I got the following sweet deal for threatening to cancel and move to fido:

200 anytime mins
    unlimited incoming
    unlimited evenings/weekend
    unlimited text messages
    Caller ID

For $34.50 after SAF, 911 and tax

Originally posted by nodoubtt

what difference does it make to your own fat ass, hiding behind a computer screen trying to sound all high and mighty, whether I choose to post this question here? Do you have some repressed self-esteem issues that are helped by you voicing your anger and authority on a fucking internet board?

So you checked OTHER forums and non-rogers/fido sites without the actual info and I'M the idiot?

Yay, good on you for finding easily findable public info on the company in question's CS hotline.

Seriously. Congrats.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Seriously. Congrats.
    and congrats to you for having nothing better to do with your time then telling me I was in the wrong ahaha

Thank ya!

Hey got a question!

I just cancelled my data plan, so no more $30/month. Their is $100 dollar fee. However, the guy on the phone stated, that their is a 0.05 cent charge for each KB downloaded. In other words $50.00 a MB.

Now my phone has been jail broken, it's the iphone 3G. If I download any apps from say Cydia or Installer via my WiFi connection, will I still be charged the 0.05 cents per KB downloaded? or what will I be charged for?

Nothing. Wifi is not 3G, which the charge for.

As long as you turn off 3G and make sure it's wifi while you use installer etc, you'll be fine.

My Ride
    YZ250

I was just asking that same question yesterday at the rogers store in chinook. The guy said you can buy it without the data plan, it's the same price but they make you sign a waiver regarding data charges.

He also said the Iphone will automatically connect to the internet in the background and you will be billed. I'm sure there's a workaround tho.

Cool thanks.

I'm assuming I just have to disbable the 3G and Edge via the boss tools app correct?

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Originally posted by Mazstyle
    He also said the Iphone will automatically connect to the internet in the background and you will be billed. I'm sure there's a workaround tho.
    If you get one without a data plan, but DO NOT ask them to block all/any data transfer, then yes it will still be $0.05/kb charged every time data is used.

I fyou get one without a data plan, but DO ask them to block all data, then your phone won't connect without wifi to internet, so no $0.05/kb charges possible.

My Ride
    cayenne S/250ninja

Originally posted by toyboy88

If you get one without a data plan, but DO NOT ask them to block all/any data transfer, then yes it will still be $0.05/kb charged every time data is used.

I fyou get one without a data plan, but DO ask them to block all data, then your phone won't connect without wifi to internet, so no $0.05/kb charges possible.

really you can call them and ask them to block internet?
    thats funny how they dont offer it to you when you get the iphone without the data plan and warn you about the cost of data.
    who says girls can't beat guys!

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Originally posted by autumnrain

really you can call them and ask them to block internet?
    thats funny how they dont offer it to you when you get the iphone without the data plan and warn you about the cost of data.
    Yeah, if you want the data transfer blocked, you should CALL the CSR's even if the guy/gal who told you in-store it was "blocked" just to be sure.

And yeah that's why they make you sign the waiver saying you acknowledge the $0.05/kb because you don't have a data plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast