Quantcast
Help me out g35 (skyline) and 350z - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help me out g35 (skyline) and 350z

My Ride
    GTI

Default Help me out g35 (skyline) and 350z

I'm just trying to figure out how they decided to base the g35 and the the 350z off the same platform.

Is the 350z supposed to be the next generation 300zx or not?

If it is, why would it have the same platform as a skyline now, but older generation 300zx and and skyline's were not.

Also how are they all related with the *240sx etc....

Just trying to understand nissan, which I obviously don't.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 09-10-2003 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Cost cutting.

Carlos Ghosn, the head of Nissan (from Renault) put together this almighty plan which saved Nissan.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

what is the 250sx?

like rage2 said, it's a cost-saving plan. makes it more efficient to run a company when the products you provide to the market are similar in nature - that way you don't end up paying more for R&D when you can work off a good platform.

the engines are like pretty much all based off the same design too. another plan that a lot more companies are looking into i think.

i don't think it makes much of a difference to have the G35(skyline)/350Z to run off of the XVL(?) chassis - unless we're talking about exclusiveness or something?

My Ride
    GTI

240sx? lol.

exclusiveness. I was just confused because I guess this isn't the way it used to be, the 300zx and skylines never looked similar before, but the 350z and g35 look similar now, I'm just wondering why, and how they come up with model names.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 09-10-2003 at 02:51 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

With so many expensive platforms, high costs, Nissan almost went bankrupt. So the decision to share platforms extensively is purely a business decision.

Think of it this way, if it wasn't for Ghosn's leadership, cost cutting, and planning, there would be no Nissan today.

Search on the net for Carlos Ghosn, I've read tons of good articles on how he turned Nissan around and made them so profitable today.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

nissan model names for (most of?) their sports cars are based on the size of the engines.
    the 240sx for example had a 2.4 L engine (KA24[D]E)here in N.America; elsewhere in the world, except Japan, it was called the 200SX because it sported the 2.0L SR20DE[T].
    the 300ZX was based on the 3.0L VG30...

so it follows that the 350Z is named due to the 3.5L engine it sports, the VQ35DE - rite?
    and I would assume something of the sort with the G35, but i think it's named differently - not sure.

My Ride
    a wrx.

nissan is all about using the same platform and engine in different cars. for example

hte fm platform: z car, maxima, g35, skyline....
    the altima platform whatever its called, altima, murano

My Ride
    Not a Silvia.

Look here for a Nissan platform chart and here for an engine chart. Poke around the rest of the site for lots more Nissan info...

My Ride
    2005 S50

All infiniti is, are luxury Nissan's, same motor's usually similar body style different option packages, bigger price. Did you know the 04 Quest has the Altima 3.5L motor.

the 240sx for example had a 2.4 L engine (KA24[D]E)here in N.America; elsewhere in the world, except Japan, it was called the 200SX because it sported the 2.0L SR20DE[T].

Don't forget the 240sx...also came with an CA18det in the 180sx body style. Sr20det's were in the Silvia's/200sx.

My Ride
    2005 S50

Originally posted by thich
    so it follows that the 350Z is named due to the 3.5L engine it sports, the VQ35DE - rite?
    and I would assume something of the sort with the G35, but i think it's named differently - not sure.
    Correct.
    also The G20 has an SR20de motor(2.0)

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

sorta on the same topic, today i saw a white Infiniti G35 with an authentic looking "skyline" badge under the Infiniti logo, they dont all have this do they? ... it had speedtech and nismo decals on it too, with what i think was an aftermarket wing, looked pretty damn slick.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

The VQ35 (albeit in different states of tune) see's duty in the Pathfinder, QX4, G35 coupe and sedan, I35, 350Z, Altima, Maxima, Murano, FX35, and finally the new Quest. That's 10 seperate cars, that must be some kind of record or close to it?

And it's nice to see that they are entering the full size market the right way, with an excellent engine:

5.6L DOHC V8
    "In the Pathfinder Armada, the engine will produce 305 horsepower @ 4,900 RPMs, and 385 lb-ft of torque @ 3600 RPMs. In the Titan, the Endurance V8 will provide 305 horsepower @ 4900 and 379 lb-ft of torque @ 3600 RPMs."

Toyota and Honda take note.
    Last edited by 5.9 R/T; 09-12-2003 at 12:01 AM.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    2005 S50

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    5.6L DOHC V8
    "In the Pathfinder Armada, the engine will produce 305 horsepower @ 4,900 RPMs, and 385 lb-ft of torque @ 3600 RPMs. In the Titan, the Endurance V8 will provide 305 horsepower @ 4900 and 379 lb-ft of torque @ 3600 RPMs."

Toyota and Honda take note.
    Titan and Armada are the same motor and frame.
    Kinda stoked to see Nissan's first offical full size truck.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by Mike09
    All infiniti is, are luxury Nissan's, .
    That doesn't explain why g35 and 350z are the same does it? Traditionally skyline and 300zx are entirely different cars is what I was asking.

I saw that g35 as well at banana jacks, as well as another eyecatching black g35. It'd be a nice addition to the garage.

Originally posted by Mike09

Titan and Armada are the same motor and frame.
    Kinda stoked to see Nissan's first offical full size truck.
    Same motor, but that was taken from the Nissan site so the numbers are their own. Why the two would vary in tq only slightly I have no idea?

Originally posted by Hakkola

That doesn't explain why g35 and 350z are the same does it? Traditionally skyline and 300zx are entirely different cars is what I was asking.

I saw that g35 as well at banana jacks, as well as another eyecatching black g35. It'd be a nice addition to the garage.
    The G35 and the 350Z are not the same, at least no more the same then an Accord and a 3.2 TL. Yes they share the same platform but they ride on different wheelbases, have different options, and they do not share any sheet metal at all. The reason you see them on the same platform now, as was said earlier, is that is it much cheaper to produce 1 million of X then 250 000 W 250 000 X 250 000 Y and 250 000 Z. The more parts sharing a company can do, the more money it can save, the cheaper it can sell them for, and the more money they can make. That is why you see Fords using Jag platforms, Chryslers on MBs, GM's on Toyota, etc etc.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.