Quantcast
CRA is screwing with me, am I going to get audited - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CRA is screwing with me, am I going to get audited

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default CRA is screwing with me, am I going to get audited

I really need someone’s help, I have been trying to deal with this on my own but it is getting more complicated.

On May 1, 2007 I moved to BC to work there after college.
    On December 1, 2007 I got our apartment back in Calgary after we decided to move
    On December 26th (yes boxing day) we moved back to our new apartment in Calgary

In March I filed my taxes under the province of Alberta, because we lived in Calgary on December 31st, 2007 and this also allowed me to use ALL of my tuition credits.

Some time in June the BC government decided to refund everyone in BC $100.00 for the carbon tax they introduced a year ago for no reason. I called and asked them why I wasn't getting it as I paid for the same amount of time if not more than some residents who would be getting a refund. The guy said I had to have filed a BC tax return; I said forget it then and hung up.

About 3 months later I got a letter in the mail saying I owed CRA $695.00 because I had requested my province to be changed from Ab to BC. The bastard CSR at the carbon credit center had submitted a request on my behalf (not sure how he did it) to have me re-assessed.

I called and they said he verbally informed me he would make the change (which he didn’t) but if I wanted it changed back, I would have to write the tax center and send it off (which I did)

Yesterday I received the $100.00 from the BC Government, I spoke to some people at the carbon center and they said that I should return the cheque otherwise when they reassess me I will owe the $100.00 plus whatever interest I owe.

I mailed the cheque back, called the government and told them to mark my file to expect it. The CSR then said I was eligible for the cheque all along as I lived in BC BETWEEN January 1 2007 and December 31 2007.

Now I have mailed the cheque back, I am trying to get it back, but at the same time they sent me a letter to sign saying I didn’t cash it and need a new one.

I don’t understand the tax system as deep as I have become. I need advice, and am now afraid I am going to get audited….

Help……
    Cos...

Here's my advice.

Fuck it. It's 100 bucks.

Great advice if I do say so myself.

And tell CRA to change your province back and eat a dick on the $695 charge. (which is for what anyhow?)

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

^^ tuition credits from Alberta either dont work, or aren't worth as much in BC.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Grimace

that sounds retarded. why would the carbon tax guy do that to your file. i got audited for my tuition stuff last year, it was excellent fun.

Well, if your place of residence was actually Alberta on the date they ask for, well then, they'll just have to change it back...

Write them a letter and let them fix it...and they'll give you a new assessment which should zero things out.

As for the $100, if you are eligible because you lived there "at some point", well, I'd say get your cheque. But reality is who cares about that...it's the $695 that you need to get fixed...

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

^^ yeah I am just fucking tired of the back and forth with them. You cant just email or fax a letter to anyone it has to go through this whole crappy process. I can understand it at tax time but it isn't exactly busy right now.

Yes I actually did move boxing day (i have the gas receipts to prove it)

Shocker.... why where you audited? how was it? it sounds scary to be honest.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by The Cosworth
    Schocker.... why where you audited? how was it? it sounds scary to be honest.
    I think it was just for checking to make sure that tuition amounts clamied are accurate. I got a letter about it, and I had to send in my school tax forms for all the years I had used to them within the certain time. All was fine because I had all my stuff saved and had not messed anything up on my returns so I just got a letter a few months later saying it was all fine and dandy.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Default Re: CRA is screwing with me, am I going to get audited

Originally posted by The Cosworth
    I really need someone’s help, I have been trying to deal with this on my own but it is getting more complicated.

On May 1, 2007 I moved to BC to work there after college.
    On December 1, 2007 I got our apartment back in Calgary after we decided to move
    On December 26th (yes boxing day) we moved back to our new apartment in Calgary

In March I filed my taxes under the province of Alberta, because we lived in Calgary on December 31st, 2007 and this also allowed me to use ALL of my tuition credits.

Some time in June the BC government decided to refund everyone in BC $100.00 for the carbon tax they introduced a year ago for no reason. I called and asked them why I wasn't getting it as I paid for the same amount of time if not more than some residents who would be getting a refund. The guy said I had to have filed a BC tax return; I said forget it then and hung up.

About 3 months later I got a letter in the mail saying I owed CRA $695.00 because I had requested my province to be changed from Ab to BC. The bastard CSR at the carbon credit center had submitted a request on my behalf (not sure how he did it) to have me re-assessed.

I called and they said he verbally informed me he would make the change (which he didn’t) but if I wanted it changed back, I would have to write the tax center and send it off (which I did)

Yesterday I received the $100.00 from the BC Government, I spoke to some people at the carbon center and they said that I should return the cheque otherwise when they reassess me I will owe the $100.00 plus whatever interest I owe.

I mailed the cheque back, called the government and told them to mark my file to expect it. The CSR then said I was eligible for the cheque all along as I lived in BC BETWEEN January 1 2007 and December 31 2007.

Now I have mailed the cheque back, I am trying to get it back, but at the same time they sent me a letter to sign saying I didn’t cash it and need a new one.

I don’t understand the tax system as deep as I have become. I need advice, and am now afraid I am going to get audited….

Help……

seems like a lot of trouble for only $100. Let it go.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default Re: Re: CRA is screwing with me, am I going to get audited

Originally posted by rotten42

seems like a lot of trouble for only $100. Let it go.
    problem is that I cant let it go cause then I owe $695.00
    Cos...

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I got audited many years ago on some of my student loan repayment claims. Those of us paying off loans get receipts sent to us, and can claim the interest. Turns out I transposed a couple numbers on one of the receipts, so I claimed the wrong amount.

I sent in copies of the actual receipts, I had to pay the difference (I think it was about $70), and that was it. No fine, no jails, no one showing up at my door with a baseball bat. Unless you're actually intentionally defrauding the government, there's a pretty good chance that an audit won't be anything of consequence.

My Ride
    95 Honda Accord

I got audited as well for my tuition credits... It wasn't that hard. All they wanted was for me to print out my school receipts and send them in. Not difficult at all... if you truly fear the tax man coming to your door, pay the fine.
    With the first link of chains forged, the first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us irrevocably.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by Subwoofah
    I got audited as well for my tuition credits... It wasn't that hard. All they wanted was for me to print out my school receipts and send them in. Not difficult at all... if you truly fear the tax man coming to your door, pay the fine.
    no I am not 'afraid' I am just pissed at this screw up on his part causing me to have all this work.

I just heard because of all the activity on my account that it could be flagged for one, and if so what that would mean. I am so confused as to what has been moved around, changed, etc on my form since I submitted it that I am getting lost.
    Cos...

Ok, being a former employee of CRA, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

None of you who stated you have been audited in this forum have actually been audited. You have just been re-assessed due to discrepancies with your tax returns and the information the government has on file. If you are being audited, the gov't will directly tell you, "You are being auditied". Your account will not be flagged but unfortunately once you get into one of these situations, it can take a while to resolve since your faxes and letters do just pile up in the tax centre waiting to be looked at.

Based on what I've read, you will not be owing the $695 + interest as long as you provide supporting documentation you were in AB and you should be returning the $100 BC Carbon Tax Rebate. From what I recall, you have to file a BC provincial tax return and you must be a resident of BC on Dec 31, 2007 in order to qualify for the rebate.

You had filed the your tax return correctly in the first place and unfortunately, the CSR messed it all up for you.

Wait till you own your own business or work in the underground economy, then you'll see what being audited is all about.
    Last edited by WWJAI; 09-04-2008 at 10:00 AM.

My Ride
    2.5L of Fury

WWJAI,

I think I've seen you on the audit floor before! ~ (Did you leave the CRA?)

I can vouch for WWJAI's comment as I have also been a tax auditor for sometime.
    I think I finally found a ride I like

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by WWJAI
    Ok, being a former employee of CRA, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

None of you who stated you have been audited in this forum have actually been audited. You have just been re-assessed due to discrepancies with your tax returns and the information the government has on file. If you are being audited, the gov't will directly tell you, "You are being auditied". Your account will not be flagged but unfortunately once you get into one of these situations, it can take a while to resolve since your faxes and letters do just pile up in the tax centre waiting to be looked at.

Based on what I've read, you will not be owing the $695 + interest as long as you provide supporting documentation you were in AB and you should be returning the $100 BC Carbon Tax Rebate. From what I recall, you have to file a BC provincial tax return and you must be a resident of BC on Dec 31, 2007 in order to qualify for the rebate.

You had filed the your tax return correctly in the first place and unfortunately, the CSR messed it all up for you.

Wait till you own your own business or work in the underground economy, then you'll see what being audited is all about.
    Thanks for posting!

Good to know that this is normal, it is stressful when I am off to england and the government is saying I owe them money. Feels like thugs are going to be at the airport with bats or something (sarcasm people)

Cos...

Originally posted by Zenshi
    WWJAI,

I think I've seen you on the audit floor before! ~ (Did you leave the CRA?)

I can vouch for WWJAI's comment as I have also been a tax auditor for sometime.

Haha... Who's this?

Yah I did leave CRA. I had an 8 month work term there and went back to school.