Quantcast
Seeking financial advisor/Planner. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking financial advisor/Planner.

Default Seeking financial advisor/Planner.

I'm looking for someone to help me strategize my finances, in particular how I allocate my money.

I'm not looking for someone who will tell me which stocks to play... I'm ok in that area.... Moreso, I'm looking for someone who will be able to show me how to properly leverage the money I have.

What is such a person called, how much do they cost, and where do I find them?

Default Re: Seeking financial advisor/Planner.

Originally posted by Legless_Marine2
    I'm looking for someone to help me strategize my finances, in particular how I allocate my money.

I'm not looking for someone who will tell me which stocks to play... I'm ok in that area.... Moreso, I'm looking for someone who will be able to show me how to properly leverage the money I have.

What is such a person called, how much do they cost, and where do I find them?
    You pretty much have it. Any bank has advisors. Just visit yours and ask to speak to an advisor.

Default Re: Re: Seeking financial advisor/Planner.

Originally posted by Boosted_TL

You pretty much have it. Any bank has advisors. Just visit yours and ask to speak to an advisor.
    I have one of those, and she's useful insofar as the bank's services go, but I'm looking for something broader in scope... Someone who can do a full look at what I'm doing, and how I'm doing it, and tell me how I can do it better.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

+1, looking for same. Anyone on here?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Bank advisors are worth what you pay for - not much most of the time.

I would go to someone who has their CFP designation, as they will have a greater understanding of what to do.

Also, remember that most financial planners (not all) are more salesman than planners who look at things in your best interest - especially at banks. Analysts tell them what to sell, and they sell it. Go to an independant CFP or CFA (if you can find one), and get them to review your personal situation.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I am looking for the same thing, but I don't know how to go about finding a CFA or CFP who does these "independant review sessions."

Ideally, I'd want one who charges me a flat fee for the service, as then, they have no hidden agenda.

I've had several conversations with mutual fund dealers, and honestly, it's very tough to believe in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    look, if you stick your dick on my shoulder, then I'm gonna stick my dick on your shoulder. That's how shoulder dicks work.

Originally posted by liquid1010
    Bank advisors are worth what you pay for - not much most of the time.

I would go to someone who has their CFP designation, as they will have a greater understanding of what to do.

Also, remember that most financial planners (not all) are more salesman than planners who look at things in your best interest - especially at banks. Analysts tell them what to sell, and they sell it. Go to an independant CFP or CFA (if you can find one), and get them to review your personal situation.
    That sounds about right.... I'm not interested in someone with a vested interest in getting me on a particular program or product, but more so someone I can pay to consult with for a couple of hours.

Where do I start looking for a CFP or CFA?

Can anyone recommend one who'd be open to such work?

My Ride
    2.5L of Fury

Wealth Management

Usually people that have "venture" (investment) capital above the 250,000$ range will use these wealth management firms.

Depends how in depth you want to go.
    There are general accountants and finance people that will do consulting jobs for "everyday" finances, leveraging money, give you opinions and budget (opinions) on your every day life.

I don't know what you guys are looking for...
    Someone to give you consultation on where to put your money and where to borrow from and such...

Or just general consultation of your everyday spending and how you could cut costs.
    I think I finally found a ride I like

My Ride
    firebird

You would be better off seeking either a CA or CFP than a CFA. The CA can help you with tax issues and the CFP can work around financial planning / investing issues.

Likely, the best money spent would be with a tax lawyer CA /LLB.

Pricey, but they are worth it.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    TECHART & Misha Design

I work for a bank owned full service brokerage (and private bank) specializing in Wealth Advisory and Investments. If you are interested in these services feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

P.

Try Hein Financial

you won't get the big guys without big money, but they will have someone to help you out with RSP's, life insurance and all that junk.

Before talking with any sort of financial advisor, take that money and buy some intelligent finance books.

Start with The Wealthy Barber ($6)

http://www.amazon.ca/Wealthy-Barber-...0585303&sr=8-1

Then move up to Personal Finance For Canadians For Dummies ($15)

http://www.amazon.ca/Personal-Financ...0585363&sr=8-1

Next, grab A Random Walk Down Wall Street ($17)

http://www.amazon.ca/Random-Walk-Dow...0585411&sr=8-3

Lastly, tackle The Four Pillars of Investing ($19)

http://www.amazon.ca/Four-Pillars-In...0585472&sr=8-1

It will be the best $70 or so (including shipping) that you ever spend, financially.

When you need help, check out the following forums:

http://forums.canadianbusiness.com/index.jspa

http://www.financialwebring.org/forum/

Ask for advice. Don't heed the advice of just anyone obviously, but you'll quickly learn who the intelligent and respected people in the forums are.

After you've done this, and you still want help from an investment advisor (make sure it's someone who has absolutely no incentive to steer you towards commission based products) at least you'll be armed with a wealth of knowledge to make sure you're not being cheated out of your potential investment dollars.

Read those books. You'll thank me in 20 years.
    I used to have a travel thread on Beyond. I used to be somebody.

my friend is a financial planner. shoot me a pm and i'll get her to contact you.
    marching to the beat of my own drum.

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    You would be better off seeking either a CA or CFP than a CFA. The CA can help you with tax issues and the CFP can work around financial planning / investing issues.

Likely, the best money spent would be with a tax lawyer CA /LLB.

Pricey, but they are worth it.
    Very true, a CFA is only really useful if you're looking at Capital Market intensive investment ideas.

A CA/LLB would be great, but somewhat overkill for the vast majority of people considering they usually charge north of $350/hr.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Just go into your bank and ask for the Financial Planner or Advisor. They should be CFP certified and most banks make that a mandate. It is a free service, so definately talk to more than one. You do not need to pay for high-priced advisors unless you are in the $500K+ range.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I met a guy in the Home Depot parking lot last night who said he loves to help people with their finances.

He's from World Financial Group and invited me to one of his meetings.

Shoot me a PM and I'll will get him to call you. He's very nice, and has called me 4 times since we met.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pacman, this sounds the exact kind of person I'm trying to avoid. if he's called you four times, he's probably on some kind of comission, and he's dying to sell you some high fee, low performance bullshit.

No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    look, if you stick your dick on my shoulder, then I'm gonna stick my dick on your shoulder. That's how shoulder dicks work.

Originally posted by Pacman
    I met a guy in the Home Depot parking lot last night who said he loves to help people with their finances.

Shoot me a PM and I'll will get him to call you. He's very nice, and has called me 4 times since we met.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

So was he shopping at the Home Depot or was he just hanging out in the parking lot?
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I bet he pulled away in his 1995 Cavalier too. He just doesn't want to show all his big money eh!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast