Quantcast
Ceramic Tile Removal??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ceramic Tile Removal???

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Default Ceramic Tile Removal???

Hey, just wondering if anyone has been through this situation...basically I had ceramic tile installed in my house, but it didn't turn out like I would have liked....now I want to put in laminate or hardwood.

Does anyone know what the process is to remove my current floor? Does the flooring company do this, how much is it roughly? I know it depends on the size, I think it was about 800 sq ft.

Thx in advance.

If you are hiring a company or contractor to install the new floor? I would suggest doing the rip out yourself as it is a fair bit to pay someone! Around the $1.50/sq ft mark, looking at $1,200 for the removal. You may be able to find someone to do it for a $1/sq ft but thats still $800ish.

DIY - Hammer, floor scraper, gloves, beer, eye protection, time

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by Boosted_TL

DIY - Hammer, floor scraper, gloves, beer, eye protection, time

not quite right:

Beer, Hammer, Beer, floor scraper, Beer, gloves, beer, eye protection, Beer, time

that's better.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Originally posted by rotten42

not quite right:

Beer, Hammer, Beer, floor scraper, Beer, gloves, beer, eye protection, Beer, time

that's better.
    I knew I missed something!

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Yeah I had a feeling it would be really expensive. I removed a couple tiles that broke (about 5) and it was a pain.....

Originally posted by rony_espana
    Yeah I had a feeling it would be really expensive. I removed a couple tiles that broke (about 5) and it was a pain.....

The best way is to smash it up with the hammer first and use the scraper to lift it all off the floor and this also scrapes the thinset off. Cover your eyes and also poly off the area to keep the house as dust free as possible. Then pull a vent cover off to see how many/what kind of subfloor you have. The higher you are the more messing around needs to be done and will help you decide whether to go with Hardwood or Laminate. Hardwood will be a height of 3/4" so undercutting door jambs, doors and casing can be a bitch if you already have 2 layers of subfloor. (Normal OSB sheets from when the house was built and then however many were added to change the flooring. With Tile, he should have added a subfloor to ensure a level floor.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Boosted_TL; 09-04-2008 at 02:43 PM.

I bought an air chisel when I removed my tile floor at our house. $50 all-in. Took me a couple hours.

After being a tile setter for a good 5 years before getting into the consulting biz I was kicking myself for using hammer and chisel/crowbar for all those years. I used to spend days ripping out floors!

if you want someone to rip them out for you I have a guy's number we used to hire. All he does is rip out floors (or then at least). Could have it done and cleaned in a day easy. PM me for info if you want.

Yeah, and even the contractors don't like doing it. They'll do it if they get to lay down the new stuff but I know installers that I talked to would only do it if you paid them an absurd amount as it's just tough hard labour!

Originally posted by syscal
    I bought an air chisel when I removed my tile floor at our house. $50 all-in. Took me a couple hours.

After being a tile setter for a good 5 years before getting into the consulting biz I was kicking myself for using hammer and chisel/crowbar for all those years. I used to spend days ripping out floors!

if you want someone to rip them out for you I have a guy's number we used to hire. All he does is rip out floors (or then at least). Could have it done and cleaned in a day easy. PM me for info if you want.
    Yeah those do well also for tile! I just hate working on my knees for the length and would prefer to stand.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Do they rent these anywhere in calgary?

http://www.greatgarages.net/images/T...al_600x900.jpg

Hate those things but try Shamrock Flooring Accessories. They should have one for rent.

Also, it's correct that most flooring places charge an arm and a leg and only do removal for the install job. K-Lee Construction did nothing but tear out floors. They did only that because they could do it fast...even made some of his own tools for the job. You can find him in Superpages. Guy's name is Kevin and is worth at least getting a quote from.

My Ride
    it has wheels???

Bosch demolition hammers are for rent at Home depot with the scraper blade.
    "Could you please turn down your car"- Ben

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Hey guys I'm finally thinking of doing this, just wondering if anyone has any new info or possibly tool rental information...if not I may just call K-Lee construction like syscal said above.

I used to work in tool rentals. A Hilti-TE905 (electric jack hammer) with a flexible tile bit on it works great. RONA has them, when I worked there it was about $40/day.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Finally removed all the tile in my house...rented a Bosch Hammer Drill (I think thats what its called) with a flat bit, kind of works like a jack hammer....took me about 10 hours to remove all the tile! The rental was about $80 for a day. Just a heads up if anyone is wanting to do this, much better than paying $1500 ($2/sq ft) to remove.