Quantcast
Low back pain? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Low back pain?

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

Default Low back pain?

Does anybody know of any good exercises or techniques for getting rid of lower back pain? Been to the doctor, all he recommends is physio and robaxacet. What are some good exercises for the lower back?

Do you know what is causing the back pain? Before you try finding a solution, you should find out what the cause is. I'm no doctor here but there are many reasons why you could be having back pain i.e. bad posture, extra weight, sleep position, crazy sex, etc.

It also matters where the pain is located i.e. muscle/tissue, spine, etc.

I don't know if there is anyone out there that will do this type of comprehensive analysis on you other than yourself. (Actually, I wish this was the type of stuff that chiropractors would actually do rather than just crack and bend me over! Physically and financially!)

Anyways, I guess I can't really contribute too much to your original question other than doing stuff like dead lifts, rows, lat pulls, etc.

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

Sorry I forgot to mention it is muscle pain, the muscles feel a bit tight from my lower back down my thighs? I've been told I need to stretch more and do more excercises on my lower back

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Low back pain?

Originally posted by Wehbeast
    Does anybody know of any good exercises or techniques for getting rid of lower back pain? Been to the doctor, all he recommends is physio and robaxacet. What are some good exercises for the lower back?
    In most cases lower back pain is caused by poor posture and a weak core.

Try strengthening your core, and I bet your back pains will go away.

ie. Lots of situps, abdominal exercises and lower back isolations.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Wehbeast
    Sorry I forgot to mention it is muscle pain, the muscles feel a bit tight from my lower back down my thighs? I've been told I need to stretch more and do more excercises on my lower back
    Gotta be careful with this. You probably have tight hams/glutes, and yes stretching will help.

You however might have a herniated disc pinching you sciatic nerve running down you glute/ham. If It's on both sides it's not sciatica.

I got a slipped disc, It's not fun at all. Whatever you do don't just lie around and take muscle relaxers/painkillers. The best immediate treatment is plain old walking. Taking painkillers can further the damage because you "feel" alright even though you're not.

Find out what it is for sure then take a proper course of action.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

i would go to physio a few times just so you can learn the proper stretches and isolation exercises. for my lower back, some of the smaller muscles aren't firing for some movements and had to be re-trained.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

i got crazy back pain from heavy work during the summer, just stretch it out, and i went to the chiroprator... seemed to help alot.

But its all about posture, i now know i was lifting crap wrong.

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

Take 1000 iu of vitamin d daily...everybody here should be regardless...your bones and muscle pains can be be from a diffeciency of vitamin d...everyone here should get a vitamin d blood test...and o ya get out in the son for a good 15 mins if u can..winters coming so hit up the supplements
    Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

If the pain sticks around, or gets worse for more than 3 months, go back to your doctor and get re-assessed. If you are not happy with the answers you are getting, find another doctor that will refer you for an MRI.

I don't want to scare you, but 3 years ago I was a very active guy, went to the gym 5 times per week lifting weights and cardio and played golf 4 times per week.

I woke up one morning with lower back pain and it progressively got worse and worse. This lasted for 4 months or so. Early one morning I sneezed and my left leg and foot went numb.

Here is what the MRI result looked like:

I went in for surgery in March 2007 and had a microdisectomy on the L4/L4 level. Things were going well until January of this year when I re-hernaited. I went for the same surgery 6 weeks ago.

Don't go to any chiropractors as they could make the problem worse. Rest your back, don't lift anything heavy and take it easy until the pain goes away.

Good Luck!

My Ride

Originally posted by Pacman

Don't go to any chiropractors as they could make the problem worse.
    Explain.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by Darkane

Explain.
    I think the chiro vs medical doctor debate has been beaten to death on other threads. No point doing another one here.

My Ride

Originally posted by Pacman

I think the chiro vs medical doctor debate has been beaten to death on other threads. No point doing another one here.
    Oh. I see, for some strange reason I thought you were talking based on your own facts and experiences. Not hearsay.

I got a herniated disc, nothing helps it more than a chiropractic visit.

You ever been on an Inversion table? Give that a try.

I'm also not oblivious to the fact your injury might have been much greater than mine. In fact I don't need surgery.. Well yet anyway. So referring to the OP, his problem doesn't seem to severe.
    Last edited by Darkane; 09-08-2008 at 08:18 PM.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Oh. I see, for some strange reason I thought you were talking based on your own facts and experiences. Not hearsay.
    Ok fine, I'm embarrassed to say that I did visit a chiro, twice a week for 5 months when I first started feeling back pain....against the advice of my friends and work customers (many of whom are real doctors including orthopedic and neuro surgeons). The pain got worse and worse and I ended up having surgery at the age of 30. Can it be attributed to seeing a chiro....who knows, but I think it's better to see a real doctor instead of a chiro when presenting with skeletal issues.

You ever been on an Inversion table? Give that a try.
    Yup and it didn't work based on my 2 back surgeries within 16 months.

I'm also not oblivious to the fact your injury might have been much greater than mine. In fact I don't need surgery.. Well yet anyway. So referring to the OP, his problem doesn't seem to severe.
    I agree, but until an MRI is done, and a proper assessment is completed by an ortho or neuro surgeon to determine if there is a neurological deficit (the OP is complaining of symptoms that could be sciatica) then it's probably safe to stay away from any alternative methods of treatment.

I'm sure chiropractors have their place somewhere along the treatment algorithm, but it shouldn't considered a first line option.

My Ride

^^ Good reply.

Actually I just went through most of the chiropractic debate threads on here. GTS Jeff brought up some good points.

As I recall with my knee (Got a patella problem, No miniscus) I went to both Chiro an Physio. On the Physio side all they did was Ice and electroshock(I think It was called) therapy.

It helped I guess?

When I went to the Chiro we actually worked on the problem itself. Menisucs and alignment.

I also read in some of those threads that a lot of the physio places work on strengthening the area, increasing mobility, strength through range of motion etc. In something like my case, my back and abs are actually quite strong. I can't even see a way a physiotherapist could help me out for my back

But yes, I agree wholeheartedly the op needs to get an MRI if this keeps up.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I also read in some of those threads that a lot of the physio places work on strengthening the area, increasing mobility, strength through range of motion etc. In something like my case, my back and abs are actually quite strong. I can't even see a way a physiotherapist could help me out for my back
    I'm probably the opposite. After not being able to lift weights for 3 years and not being able to do even the most basic cardio for the past 9 months(walking or standing for more than 5 minutes would cause shooting pains down my leg and into my groin/buttocks) my core strength is very weak. I've lost over 30 pounds since the first surgery with most of it being muscle.

I'm doing basic exercises just to try and build up the core. It's pathetic when I sit on an exercise ball with my hands on my hips and not be able to lift one foot off the ground for more than 10 seconds without losing balance.

My Ride
    Hatred

I was a chronic sufferer of back pain and went to Pysio and it did wonders. Its a shame that I stopped going and then worked out of town for the summer sleeping on shitty beds because I'm probably back to were I was before. But I stretch all the time now, even while sitting at my desk at work and it's definitely improving day by day.

I'm not saying Chiro isn't for some people but I don't like the idea of it and would rather target the muscles that usually aren't holding things in place. But I would also recommend the MRI and its always better to have the most in depth look at the problem. You can only see so much from the outside.
    -U

hey guys,

i found this thread and had a few more questions, i've been having bad lower back pain for the last 2 years... i've worked with chiropractors, physio therapists, massage therapists and nothing has been working...

i also had an MRI done and they told me that the "sponge" in between my disc is bulging and it is pinching a nerve is is prolly why i've been having so much pain. they told me its not a herniated disc yet, but it can if i don't watch it....the surgeon also told me that can't operate on my back because its not "severe" enough...BS

can anyone recommend/refer a surgeon to do a microdisectomy?

thanks

My Ride
    Civicnation

surgeons dont take referrals from beyond. go to your family doc and ask to see someone else. chances are you'll get the same reply from the second opinion doc too.

yeah, i just wanted to do a little research before i head to the doctor....haha, to bad they didnt take beyond.ca referrals tho..haha

thanks for the input....i called the calgary health region and left a message as well....