Quantcast
References upon request? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: References upon request?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default References upon request?

So since I was of age to be in the work force, all I've ever heard is that on a resume, you simple put "References upon request."

A friend is telling me that this has changed now and that you are expected to put at least 3 references on your resume.

Anyone know what is standard fair now?

(note: this isn't for a white collar high end job, if it matters)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

I would still leave references off until asked for, and then only if that's the last step to getting hired. References typically don't want to be and shouldn't be bothered by employment pre-screens. I know that recruiters are doing this more often these days.

Even stating that they're available upon request is redundant. They know to ask for them if they don't see them.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agreed, I had a professional recruiter tell me not to mention references on my resume. if a company needs them, they know to request them, and you know to make them availible.

I just went through a few months of job searching, and I carried my referenced on a typed sheet with me to every interview. That way, if someone needs them, it doesn't look like I need to scramble to find them.

That being said, the company that did hire me, didn't ask for any references.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Axis powers

i find references are a hit and miss

i've had 2 jobs where references weren't asked or even looked at and I've had 2 jobs where references were a big deciding factor
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

There is no need to put references on the resume. It just clutters it up.

My Ride
    93 integra

They will ask if they need them. Like was said have them ready and available to request. The longer you take producing them the worse it looks. A lot of managers and human resource people will hire without reference depending on how they feel about you during the interview. Every job I've had so far in my life has been without references being checked despite them being available.

Have had some white collar jobs as well without my references being asked for. It all depends on the job, person interviewing and how well you interview.

Say "upon request" on resume. Bring them on a sheet and give them during the interview.

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

say upon request..usually when they ask for them you are one or the top candidate..so you can get a feel for how you did
    Life is a Gamble.

I never provide or mention references unless they are asked for (white collar professional jobs)

In my opinion, references are a huge waste of everyone's time and when I was searching for jobs only 2 of the 12 company's I interviewed with even asked for them.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Don't go passing around other people's information freely. That's how I've always looked at it.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    EM1

I roll with available upon request, just had a job interview on friday and the guy wanted personal references and work references. So I went home and emailed him off some names and #'s to call, he called me today saying he's waiting to hear back from a few of my references, but generally in the past I've never had anyone call my references

My Ride
    FA1

Originally posted by Eleanor
    Don't go passing around other people's information freely. That's how I've always looked at it.
    Agreed. I find "References Upon Request" is fine because if they call you on it, you should have your references readily available. If I'm going out giving out resumes I probably have a stack of references in my folder as well. 1 work reference, 1 professional reference (like a teacher) and 1 personal reference (like a friend) should be just fine.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Do not write that on your resume. It is implied in all scenarios. If they ask specifically during your interview, just tell them that you will email it to them. A good thing is that now you have your interviewer`s direct contact, so you can email to check on progress.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    Say "upon request" on resume. Bring them on a sheet and give them during the interview.
    Don't do this either. What if they're only looking for 2 references? Or 2 business and 1 personal? The 3 that you have might not match what they're looking for. No company has ever wanted references produced right on the spot. Next day is almost always fine. That gives you time to put together the list and also to contact them so that they know to expect a call. Wait until you know specifically what they're looking for, then pull the best results for your pool of references.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Cool, that's what I thought, but a friend insisted it's standard to list them now, thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

I haven't listed actual references or "References available upon request" on my resume in years.

It's pretty much assumed that the interviewer can request them if they'd like to pursue you further, and just wastes space.
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

Originally posted by lint

Don't do this either. What if they're only looking for 2 references? Or 2 business and 1 personal? The 3 that you have might not match what they're looking for. No company has ever wanted references produced right on the spot. Next day is almost always fine. That gives you time to put together the list and also to contact them so that they know to expect a call. Wait until you know specifically what they're looking for, then pull the best results for your pool of references.
    Never have I come across someone looking for a specific type of reference. My advice has worked numerous times and others do the same when I'm interviewing them.

Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Never have I come across someone looking for a specific type of reference. My advice has worked numerous times and others do the same when I'm interviewing them.
    Well that's where we differ. I've been asked for friends, supervisors, and coworkers. My point is that different interviewers/companies may ask for different things. Having one set of references may not satisfy everyone, but to each their own.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

I wouldn't put it on. It clutters the resume, especially if you have skills/experience, etc, that can make better use of the space.

It's assumed that you will have references when they ask for it. They can't call them without your permission, so I wouldn't give it to them unless they ask. You can always carry references with you to the interview. Plus you want your references to be ready for a call.

If you put references on a resume, it allows them to call your references and find out information about you even before they even interview you, and basically pre-screen you.
    Last edited by CaptainReboot; 09-08-2008 at 10:07 PM.

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

I have actually worked for a couple of companies where employees were not allowed to be used as references. They could verify that the interviewee worked there and what the salary was (if that was known) other than that nothing.

They were US based (ultimately) and were sued too many times for both good and bad references. If they gave a bad reference the interviewee would sue for preventing them from getting a job. If the company gave a good reference and the person acted like a dillweed, the new employer would sue the old one...

None of the places that have hired me over the last 10 years ever asked for references.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."