Quantcast
Anything you guys would of done differently when you guys were 18 - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Anything you guys would of done differently when you guys were 18

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

There's not a thing I'd do differently, I've got no complaints or regrets. I was never much of a party animal, so I don't mind living the "responsible" lifestyle.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by snoop101

Though most of your remarks are good. I dont like the fact that you gave the advice that just because you have good grades and a degree that everything will be good. I know to many people that went to school for years and years and now they work in a grocery store. I also know people that dropped out of school after 6 months and make six digit incomes. Its all about how you apply yourself. Don't go to school for years on end because someone said if you have a degree you will get a good paying job. Go to school because its what you want to do even if its just courses here and there for a cert.
    I understand that, my older brother has a degree in Science, and a journeymen trades certificate, yet due to health concerns, he has to go back to school YET again.. Trust me I understand.

But what is the flip side? what are the chances of plugging away at a $1x/hr job for how many years? happens all the time, I've seen it time and time again. yes I am well aware of those clever few that can pull off six figure incomes over some niche that they may be good at, but those are quite few I found, as I am not one of them. I spent probably 8 years thinking I could find something like that and here I am, no further now as I was 8 years agol, except for work experience and more skills then before.

What I am saying is to get a trade or degree that a person can fall back on when times get tough, rather then winging it time and time again, which doesn't always work.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    FUCKKKKK no
    man your yuong
    blow your cash
    your alowwed(how the fuck do you spell this word?!).
    i partied like a baller when i was 18. drove a shit box, lived with my parents, who cares man, have the fun while you can. dont spend it on cars, spend it on booze and vacations and partying and whatever you want!

but do go to school. that is a good plan. haha
    i have to partially agree with this guy
    i partied my face off from 18-20
    then i graduated with my diploma @ 22 and have been working since.

don't blow it ALL
    just keep in mind - YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!

you gotta ask yourself: "would i rather have lots of money and investments now and not spend any money on going out etc etc, or would i rather be less conservative and have a hell of a wicked time while i'm young and able to?"

buy a toy (bike, quad, dirtbike, car) or something while you are young and able to enjoy every minute of it...cuz after you turn 18, the years FUCKIN FLY BY and sooner or later, you'll have a steady gf (or knock a chick up) and BAM, life sucks lol

again, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE

Aaaah... to be 18 again...

This is not a dumb post at all...fantastic question and I wish I would have asked it at your age.

I agree with the credit card advice. KEEP YOUR LIMIT LOW (at least for now...I think I started with a limit of 500.00 a month). At the very least, pay the minimum on it every month and PAY IT ON TIME.

If you are still living at home, put what you "would" be paying on rent every month in a separate savings account (minimum 600.00 a month) and don't touch it. If you already have your own place, then this recommendation won't apply.

Education...education...education. I don't know if you're in any post-secondary "program", but I strongly advise it. Find a career with a "strong" track record, and get 'ir done. I went into Nursing school even though I couldn't see myself doing a lot of what a nursing job entails (ie. shift work, etc) but I loved helping people. I really had no idea what I "wanted to be when I grew up" but I knew nursing was a stable career choice. I now have a FANTASTIC Monday to Friday job, no shift work, great pay and amazing co-workers. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't NOT go into post-secondary schooling even if you don't particularly know what you want to "be" (alot of people at my age STILL don't know...). Do some research on career options.

And...have fun. Enjoy every moment. KEEP IN TOUCH WITH FRIENDS...it's amazing how easily you can lose touch.

Serious answer:

Party hard but in moderation. Save more than you spend.

I went all out when I was 18 and regret all that business. Lost brain cells and an empty bank account.

Be smart!

My Ride
    08 X5

The fact that you even thinking about doing something productive with the money you earn means your light years ahead of the average 18 year old which is commendable.

When i was 18 i tried to save between 1000-2000 a month. If your not sure where to invest it just open up a high interest savings account and keep the money there until you know what to do.

RBC offers a 4% e savings account with no fees at the moment.

It will be very easy to save 20k and then be like hmmm should i buy a $15 000 car. As long as you can resist the temptation you will be ok. Always remember that cars are a sinking investment and you will rarely ever get the money you spent back.

Also, unless you got a fat trust fund, stay in school for as long as you can. You can never go wrong with an education!
    Last edited by Jynx; 09-14-2008 at 03:12 PM.

"Also, unless you got a fat trust fund, stay in school for as long as you can. You can never go wrong with an education!"

I would only go to school if it was a career i truely loved, otherwise your wasting your time if you think you will become wealthy by going to school.

My advice to you,

Get a better job, your 18, i know 18 year olds that gross $5k a month.

Don't waste your money on D&G

Stay away from blow

Have safe sex, having a kid is like a car payment

Workout
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Start throwing in even a few thousand $$ a year into RRSP's. You'll thank me when you're ready to retire.
    Go with a fairly agressive portfolio, 100% equity, and let it swing (but trend upwards) for 40 years.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 09-15-2008 at 09:18 AM.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I wish I had worked more and saved more (and in turn, invested more) while I was in school. My education was fully paid for and I had a place to stay, virtually rent free. All I really had to worry about were car payments/costs, and those could easily be paid off by a part-time job @ $10/hr. I really have no excuse not to have a buttload of money by the time I graduated and started working at a real job. Pretty much took my comfortable life for granted, lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3