Quantcast
learning about stock - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: learning about stock

Default learning about stock

I want to learn about the stock market and trade on my own, is there a course where I take to learn it? Sait, mount royal... etc..? Thanks

My Ride
    Lease

Check around the bank's broker houses (CIBC, TD, RBC) sometimes they'll have crash courses of understanding "how to play stocks"

If you're looking into in depth, diploma or degree, then probably take the CSI course. www.csi.ca

My Ride
    NC1

No you really don't want to learn and trade on your own. Who knows, maybe you got game but trust me when I say this, it's a lot harder than you think it is!! haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

If you must know, start here:

http://www.investopedia.com/
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

http://conted.mtroyal.ca/financial/personal.shtml
    I am planning to go to the stock, Bond & Portfolio one to Oct

My Ride
    honda with fart can

Default Re: learning about stock

Originally posted by gutsh0t
    I want to learn about the stock market and trade on my own, is there a course where I take to learn it? Sait, mount royal... etc..? Thanks
    All posters have good advice: dont do it, if you must take a course, investopedia.com etc..
    The best advice I could give you is to open a discount trading account (etrade, td waterhouse, rbc) and start messing around with a few trades. Do it with a few thousand dollars and see what its like to win and lose on your trades. Once you start to learn a little about how to control your emotions in trading you are ready to start getting more serious.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Learning about the stock market and learning how to trade are fairly different things.

Check www.elitetrader.com. TONS of resources there, and a lot of smart traders who move a lot of capital each day.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Well thanks for all the advice. I guess I got alot of learning to do. Just wondering is there such a market where you can buy when the market open and sell it when it close and thats your profit for the day? I want high risk type of stock where the swings are like rollercoaster I dont want to sit on it for a long time. Thanks

The only stocks you'll make money on like that are penny stocks. And you better be prepared because you can lose money just as fast as you can make it.

Originally posted by tStyles
    Well thanks for all the advice. I guess I got alot of learning to do. Just wondering is there such a market where you can buy when the market open and sell it when it close and thats your profit for the day? I want high risk type of stock where the swings are like rollercoaster I dont want to sit on it for a long time. Thanks
    If you dont mind the risk maybe u can conside buying options

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

if you could learn to play stocks that would make you tons of cash by doing a simple online course. Everyone would be doing it and making a killing.

I am not saying you couldn't be the next warren buffett but the probabilities are pretty slim.
    Cos...

My Ride
    honda with fart can

Originally posted by Will@STRD

If you dont mind the risk maybe u can conside buying options
    If you're good at predicting the general direction of a price movement options can make you good money and it would fit your needs (minimum holding period). You need to understand how they work though and that means good with math
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by tStyles
    what you're looking for is daytrading. In and out of positions that it was going out of style. Extremely risky but you'll need a good platform to give you market depth and levels. Liquidity is your best friend.

I'd personally wouldn't start at this level as it can give you some serious emotional rollercoaster rides.

I dont mind the emotional rollercoaster do you know where I can get more info on daytrading?

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

I don't know exactly what you want to learn. There isn't exactly a school for these things but a general understanding of how the markets work, what time they open from, bid/ask and market depth, order input, trading platforms... plus, what drives a stock up/down? patterns of the market? market makers? significance of news releases..

I just typed down what came to mind but there are so many other things. Go check out the websites others have put down plus head into chapters/library. good basic and advanced books in there for you to browse.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Look up as much info as you can on Technical Analysis, if you're going to be daytrading...

No indicators though. Just learn to read price action and the tape.

You could learn everything there is and still lose money. In the end, fundamentals won't tell you everything. Market sentiment plays a big factor too.

In my opinion the market is just a big scam. Luck will take you further than any skill. Good luck!

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by richardchan2002

In my opinion the market is just a big scam. Luck will take you further than any skill. Good luck!
    There are too many examples to prove this statement false. There are a TON of traders from around the world who make a good living, and a few who make a great living.

It is a very difficult 'game' to win at, but with years of practice and thousands of hours of screen time, it is completely possible.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    You could learn everything there is and still lose money. In the end, fundamentals won't tell you everything. Market sentiment plays a big factor too.

Only the n00bs get owned.

You telling me a guy like Warren Buffet averaging returns of 15-20% for the past 40 years was all luck? haha Well OK, he's a bad example.

For your average investor, we just have to be patient and ride out any bear or bull market. In the long run, we will come out ahead as the indexes has historically always moved up.

It's the short term buying and selling kind of thinking that's hurting me the most.

It's a zero sum game. So if some people are making a "good living" or a "great living", they're making it off the backs of average people (which is the majority of people).

For every success, I'm sure there are 10 failures in the stock market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast