Quantcast
FBI investigates 21 major financial institutions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: FBI investigates 21 major financial institutions

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default FBI investigates 21 major financial institutions

Report: FBI investigating IndyMac for fraud

WASHINGTON: The defunct IndyMac Bancorp is under investigation by the FBI for possible fraud in home loans made to risky borrowers, The Associated Press has learned.

It was not immediately clear how long the FBI probe of the bank has been going on.

The investigation is focused on the company - which was taken over last Friday by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation - and not individuals who ran it, a law enforcement official said Wednesday. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation.

IndyMac Bank's assets were seized by U.S. federal regulators after the mortgage lender succumbed to the pressures of tighter credit, tumbling home prices and rising foreclosures.

The bank is the largest regulated thrift to fail and the second largest financial institution to close in U.S. history, regulators said.

Today in Business with Reuters
    Nerves on edge for Asia saversBuffett deal at Goldman is seen as a sign of confidenceEDF to buy British Energy for $23.2 billion
    The Office of Thrift Supervision said it transferred IndyMac's operations to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation because it did not think the lender could meet its depositors' demands.

FDIC spokesman David Barr could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

Shortly after the FDIC took over operations, Barr said most depositors were given immediate access to up to $100,000 in their accounts and 50 percent of any money beyond that threshold. Depositors with joint accounts or retirement accounts could immediately withdraw greater sums.

Depositors were given receivership certificates for any money they could not immediately withdraw and might be able to receive some of that money after the bank's assets are sold off.

Early this week, hundreds of worried IndyMac customers lined up out of the bank's headquarters branch in Pasadena, California, demanding to withdraw as much money as they could or get answers about the fate of their funds.

During the past year, and faced with a cratering housing market, the FBI has opened a wide-ranging probe of companies across the financial services industry, from mortgage lenders to investment banks that bundle home loans into securities sold to investors.

Countrywide Financial, the largest U.S. mortgage lender, is also under scrutiny.

Additionally, two former Bears Stearns managers were indicted last month on conspiracy and securities and wire fraud charges alleging they lied to investors in a hedge fund that tanked last year as the subprime market collapsed. Those charges marked the first criminal charges to arise on Wall Street from the subprime mortgage debacle.

In all, the FBI is now investigating 21 companies tied to the subprime mortgage crisis, up from 19 last month. Authorities are looking into at least 1,400 U.S. mortgage fraud cases, and more than 400 real estate industry players have been indicted since March.

The FBI director Robert Mueller has said that the investigations focused on accounting fraud, insider trading, and failure to disclose the value of mortgage-related securities and other investments. Losses homeowners and other borrowers are estimated at more than $1 billion.
    source: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/...Mac-303783.php
    Cos...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Just for show to get the $700B passed.

Who knows? maybe something similar to the enron crisis could occur.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

I doubt anything will happen to these firms. If they were sued, they'd have to borrow to pay the fines.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Canmorite
    I doubt anything will happen to these firms. If they were sued, they'd have to borrow to pay the fines.
    That's okay, they have a ton of money to loan now
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by Canmorite
    Tell that to the Enron crowd!