Quantcast
Parking an RV on a residential street? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Parking an RV on a residential street?

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Parking an RV on a residential street?

Does anyone know the laws of parking an RV on a residential street?

My folks in Chestermere have a pretty full sized RV (not the trailer style) and today an RCMP came by and told my mom that she has 72 hours to move it. At the moment it's parked on the other side of the street facing the other way because of the automatic steps. If we park the correct way they will hit the curb, but at the mo it's as far to the opposing side as it can be. There are no houses on that side of the road, just a wall because the highway is on the other side.

In any case, the RCMP officer said that he'd give a ticket when he came back because it's faced the other way and we have to move it completely.

The facing the other way is fine, I understand that but what's the legality on having an RV on a residential street? Does he have any grounds to say we can't have it on the street, or even parked there for an extended period of time? I'm guessing that a neighbour might have complained but that being said, is there a law?

Cheers.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

There are always bylaws for leaving vehicles, especially large RV's parked on a road for long periods of time. I'm sure the same applies in Chestermere.

It's likely in the town bylaws in similar fashion to the bylaw we have here in Calgary. Take his word for it and move it before you either get a ticket, towed, or both.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

yeah, what they said...parking stuff is usually left to the municipality to decide

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

i have a neighbor who parks his on the street for a couple days, then it dissapears for one or two, then it's back for three to four more

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Yah, I'm certain he's not making it up, but there have been situations where some law enforcement officials have not really followed the law down to a T. haha, In any case, I just hope that he gave the same warning to the 3 other RV's parked on the street...mind you there not AS big

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Highlander

I'm pretty sure any RV, tent trailer, etc are only allowed to be parked on a residental street or even in a front driveway for a maximum of 3 days. That's why so many people have RV pads in the back yard of their homes, they have to kinda stay out of view for most of the year. Especially since we only have about 12 weeks of RV season per year.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

I think when a veichle is a certain size, you are not allowed to part it on the street. My uncle had a 3 ton truck, and somebody called bylaw on him, and they said he cant park it on the street. He ended up setting up a pad in his yard and parking it there. Apparently its the same thing with an RV of that size.

My Ride
    audi

Originally posted by Melinda
    I'm pretty sure any RV, tent trailer, etc are only allowed to be parked on a residental street or even in a front driveway for a maximum of 3 days. That's why so many people have RV pads in the back yard of their homes, they have to kinda stay out of view for most of the year. Especially since we only have about 12 weeks of RV season per year.
    Yes this is as close to what I can remember. It did change and you can't have your RV parked on your driveway for more than 3 days now. Which really sucks since we have a burm in our backyard we can't get the RV over it to put it in the backyard anymore. We had to make a deal with some friends that live out in Airdrie to park our trailer there now.

My Ride
    V167

Calgary's RV Parking Bylaws can be found in this document:

http://www.calgaryparking.com/resour...%20Parking.pdf

That said, I'm sure Chestermere has similar rules.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Thanks for the info guys. We can't park it in the back yard simply because we are separated with about 4 other yards by a few fences so there's no alley way.

In any case, we were planning on storing it at an RV yard anyway but I just wanted to know the legalities surrounding the issue.

Cheers again

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

i had bylaw at my door one day. told me i had to move my trailer. he got pretty upset that I pointed out it was attached to my truck, and thus didn't have to.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.