Quantcast
6gig data deal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 6gig data deal

Default 6gig data deal

Hi sorry, this might be a noob question but i was wondering if there was any restrictions with regards of the 6gig data plan rogers offers.
    Like would using msn messenger be free?
    is it pretty much normal internet you get from shaw but on your phone now?
    does this including tethering?

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Tethering is not allowed. The restriction of your 6GB plan is...wait for it...6GB.

And there's no MSN Messenger for the iPhone yet, if that's what you have.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Minivan

Originally posted by HyperZell
    Tethering is not allowed. The restriction of your 6GB plan is...wait for it...6GB.

tethering is allowed. no restrictions, you can download torrents if you want to, just pay for overages, i even use voip on my n95 and internet sharing on my tytn, haven't reach 6gb yet.

There is actually msn messenger for the iPhone, my friend and I have been using it for about a month now in class

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by bonjoey

tethering is allowed. no restrictions, you can download torrents if you want to, just pay for overages, i even use voip on my n95 and internet sharing on my tytn, haven't reach 6gb yet.
    I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. Tethering is not officially supported. It's technically allowed as long as you pay for the fees associated with it, but Apple is not allowing tethering apps.

I stand corrected.

And with that MSN thing - what is it called? Is it official or is it a jalbroken app?

Hey bonjoey, how much do you pay for VOIP with your n95? so you are access VOIP anywhere with your data plan or does it have to wifi?

My Ride
    Minivan

Originally posted by rtsen

Hey bonjoey, how much do you pay for VOIP with your n95? so you are access VOIP anywhere with your data plan or does it have to wifi?
    3G or wifi, edge is no go for voip.
    i use voipcheap.com (you can try for free)
    skype is good too but no app for n95 (you can use fring but quality is terrible)

i added $10 on voipcheap and i think its good for 90 days? cant remember now. and its free to call to all the countries included. if you use voipcheap on windows, you can put your own cell # (or land line) so when you call out, it shows your #. but it doesnt work on n95

so...
    pretty much this 6gig thing is pretty much your normal internet you got at home...you pay for what you would only pay for when you're on the internet. Like buying songs, movies....etc.
    Does anyone know how the tethering would work from the iphone?
    and i asked a friend and he said that he called rogers and they said that there is no tethering fee as far as he knows, just aslong as you dont go over 6gigs you're only paying for that.
    this 6gig thing is a sick deal then....glad i got it before the promotion ends

i added $10 on voipcheap and i think its good for 90 days? cant remember now. and its free to call to all the countries included.
    Thanks for the reply, I just checked it out and Malaysia landline is listed as one of the included countries. I'll have to try it out to see the voice quality.

Originally posted by phil2118
    so...
    Does anyone know how the tethering would work from the iphone?
    There was a app called netshare which was on the AppStore for a while before they pulled it. This is the only application for non-jailbreak phones. If your phone is jailbreak, then there are a few options, check hofo

My Ride
    Audi

I'm going to assume you don't have an iphone, yet you are giving iphone advice

I use palringo, it is a free app. Just search the app store for 'Messenger' or 'MSN' and you will see other options.

I'm not sure how anyone could exceed 6GB unless they are streaming or have their iphone tethered.
    Last edited by hampstor; 09-25-2008 at 01:06 PM.

My Ride
    Fat Boy riding a Fat Boy

I just talked to Rogers and there is now no official end date to the 6 Gig plan for either the iPhone or the Blackberry. Speculation is that it will become their permanent "unlimited" plan. The rep also said that she has never seen anyone go over 6 gig in a month yet.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by hampstor

I'm going to assume you don't have an iphone, yet you are giving iphone advice

I use palringo, it is a free app. Just search the app store for 'Messenger' or 'MSN' and you will see other options.
    Actually, I've had an iPhone for about a month now. What I was referring to is no official MSN Messenger app - just third party ones that have some mixed reviews.

i think the real concern is if rogers charges you for tethering, or would be that included in the 6gb that you've paid for

tethering has been around for a while on jailbroken iphones

dunno if this is true...
    but as of Oct 1,2008
    they'll be having new data prices according to this link

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/0...for-1-october/

My Ride
    Audi

Actually, I've had an iPhone for about a month now. What I was referring to is no official MSN Messenger app - just third party ones that have some mixed reviews.
    oh ok i see, my mistake.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by hampstor

oh ok i see, my mistake.
    No worries! Do you have an iPhone too? I didn't buy it to be cool or anything, I really just needed a new iPod and at the time it was cheaper to get the iPhone, lol.

My Ride
    Audi

No worries! Do you have an iPhone too? I didn't buy it to be cool or anything, I really just needed a new iPod and at the time it was cheaper to get the iPhone, lol.
    I destroyed my old phone, I had cracked the screen in an X pattern so I couldn't see shit on it. However I had used it for almost 6 months like that, then i dropped it on a concrete floor. It was never the same after that

The iPhone wasn't a bad price on the 3 year so I went with that. Ii haven't changed providers in 9 years so I didn't care about the term. I like the maps, the GPS, and the tim hortons app.

I use Meebo for msn, don't gotta dload anything. Just google meebo messanger.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Ahaha, timmyme, my favorite app as well. I've been out of the city for a few years and forgot where all the timmy's are, very handy for returning n00bs like me

I wasn't aware of netshare, does it support tethering to a windows pc? Right now I know of xrelay or whatever it's called, but that is macos only
    (yes I know it got pulled, but almost anything can still be found)
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

beejive is the best IM client for the iphone IMO.

i've been tethering my iphone for a week now, and have had no problems. dunno what my usage is at though. says 351mb, but i don't think that is right