Quantcast
Going to Chicago... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to Chicago...

Default Going to Chicago...

So I will be leaving to Chicago tomorrow, what's there to do there? I will be staying in the downtown area.

Places to eat?
    Sights to see?
    Clubs?
    2010 Lambo LP560-4
    2010 Ferrari 599gtb
    09 Nissan GTR
    08 Porsche GT3 RS
    08 Acura RDX
    08 BMW 335
    07 Lexus LS460
    07 Ferrari F430
    06 Lexus IS350 (sold)
    05 Maserati Coupe

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Co-worker just got back, he went to the Steve Wilko show (same as Springer). Well not ON the show, but in the audience.
    Or Oprah!

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Bulls game?
    Blackhawks game?
    Aquarium
    Great Shopping
    Soldiers Field
    Chicago Deep Dish pizza

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

IF you like architecture and museums, then you're in the right place.

Check a city tour of Frank Lloyd Wrights work. It's well worth it.

http://www.gowright.org/homestudio/tours.php

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I fucking LOVE Chicago. Definately one of the places I'd want to live.

If you're into photography, the archetectural tours through the river is wicked. I spent a few hours roaming downtown taking pictures, there's LOTS of really amazing buildings to shoot.

If you like to drive, make sure you rip through lower wacker drive at nights, it's like playing a video game. Lake Shore Dr is awesome too, nice scenic route if there's not much traffic.

It's a little too cold for the beach now, so I'm not sure how busy the piers are.

I'm huge into blues, so I visited a few of the good local blues bars. Buddy Guys is a great place to chill. Tons of amazing local talent. Don't bother with the House of Blues, they don't really play blues there.

As for food, Fogo de Chão is awesome, went there with my brother who lives in Chicago.

Oh ya, WHITE CASTLE!!! They have it there haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by rage2
    If you like to drive, make sure you rip through lower wacker drive at nights, it's like playing a video game. Lake Shore Dr is awesome too, nice scenic route if there's not much traffic.
    Haha I remember Wacker Drive from Project Gotham Racing 2... it's definitely fun to rip down it in a Porsche 911 GT1...

Anyone know any good steak houses? I hear the steak is really good in Chicago!

What about Lobster?
    2010 Lambo LP560-4
    2010 Ferrari 599gtb
    09 Nissan GTR
    08 Porsche GT3 RS
    08 Acura RDX
    08 BMW 335
    07 Lexus LS460
    07 Ferrari F430
    06 Lexus IS350 (sold)
    05 Maserati Coupe

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

If I were you, I'd go check out the Chicago Merc. Go on a weekday though!
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Tango Sur is good.

There is an Ethiopian place called Ras Dashen that was exceptional.

Shaws Crab House has some really good seafood, just try to get a seat at the seafood bar.

I have heard good things about the Chicago Food Planet Food Tours and I did the Frank Lloyd Wright Tour and found it to be quite interesting.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by kwazy
    Anyone know any good steak houses? I hear the steak is really good in Chicago!

What about Lobster?
    I didn't know Chicago's famous for Lobster. I pretty much only eat lobster on the east coast.

I've been to this place and it's really good:

http://www.mortons.com/location_deta...&idlocation=26

Gotham's in Vancouver is better IMO.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Yeah lobster is an east coast creature, so it only makes sense that the best would be back there.

Check out this gallery of chicago grease and see what you like: http://www.greasefreak.com/index.html I want to visit Chicago soon and plan to eat exclusively from this website.

My favourite from each category (sadly, based on the pic alone).

Italian Beef:

Hot Dog:

Turkey Club:

Burger:

Italian Sub:

Chilli:

Gyros:

Wings:
    Last edited by szw; 11-07-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Must do's

John Hancock - Best Views of Downtown
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyroof/2327970593/

Art Institute of Chicago, awesome impressionist collection and you MUST see Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanniven/2963737206/

Cloud Gate in Millennium Park
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/iceman9294/2365554877/

The Field Museum is also great, I would check their website to see what exibits are on display.

Chicago is right up there with New York for me, stay downtown and you'll be in the heart of the action. For shopping, scroll down Michigan Ave, don't forget to pick up a bag of garrett's popcorn while you're at it. For nightlife, check out the indie bars in Wicker Park or just do a jazz bar and have a few drinks.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by szw
    Check out this gallery of chicago grease and see what you like: http://www.greasefreak.com/index.html I want to visit Chicago soon and plan to eat exclusively from this website.

My favourite from each category (sadly, based on the pic alone).

Italian Beef:

Hot Dog:

Turkey Club:

Burger:

Italian Sub:

Chilli:

Gyros:

Wings:
    I suddenly became very hungry...

My Ride
    Busa

I've been to Chicago many many many times. I use to work down there, and basically flew down every 2 weeks. Stay away from south-side if you can. Don't venture too far off into any of the burbs, they all look like/worse than Forest Lawn. You'll probably notice it on the way into downtown from the airport.

Downtown is amazing, as are most of the burbs around it.
    For pubs you can't really go wrong if you're in that area.

Typically you'll find a college aged crowd at the pubs around Wrigley field. For a middle-aged crowd try the pubs at Division & Rush. You can also try Bucktown, which is usually where I end up.

A few places you will want to see:

1. John Hancock Center
    2. Jilly's
    3. Gibson's

I would go to the John Hancock Center after dark. The view is impressive from the 100th floor. Lots of people don't recommend the food, but I honestly had the best Surf & Turf of my life there on the resteraunt floor. Rumor has it that they changed chefs a year or two back and the food has been excellent, but can't shake the bad reputation.

Jilly's is the famous Frank Sinatra hangout. The website looks tacky as hell and the photos are poor, but this place redeems in-person.

Gibson's is the steak joint in Chicago that everyone talks about. I would go just to say you have been there. In my opinion their steaks are pretty average, but to each there own. You will need reservations well in advance.

If you actually like a good steak I would recommend the Rosebud. It's right across from the Knickerbocker hotel, and has been my favorite steak joint for a long time now. They also have this flat cheesy bread that people seem to go crazy for.

You can check ticketmaster for the dates you are in town. Chicago is a very busy, very active city. You will find pages and pages of events.

Be aware that the cab fares to the suburbs and to the airport are not always straightforward. Sometimes they're double the fare on the meter, sometimes 1.5x, sometimes a flat rate. It's all explained on the card in the cab though.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

flames game sunday

Originally posted by rage2

I didn't know Chicago's famous for Lobster. I pretty much only eat lobster on the east coast.

I've been to this place and it's really good:

http://www.mortons.com/location_deta...;idlocation=26

Gotham's in Vancouver is better IMO.
    If you like Gothams in Vancouver, you should try Hy's. They are the only ones that still use the mesquite grill whereas Gotham's/Mortons still use the oven type grill.
    2010 Lambo LP560-4
    2010 Ferrari 599gtb
    09 Nissan GTR
    08 Porsche GT3 RS
    08 Acura RDX
    08 BMW 335
    07 Lexus LS460
    07 Ferrari F430
    06 Lexus IS350 (sold)
    05 Maserati Coupe

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    I've been to Chicago many many many times. I use to work down there, and basically flew down every 2 weeks. Stay away from south-side if you can. Don't venture too far off into any of the burbs, they all look like/worse than Forest Lawn. You'll probably notice it on the way into downtown from the airport.

Downtown is amazing, as are most of the burbs around it.
    For pubs you can't really go wrong if you're in that area.

Typically you'll find a college aged crowd at the pubs around Wrigley field. For a middle-aged crowd try the pubs at Division & Rush. You can also try Bucktown, which is usually where I end up.

A few places you will want to see:

1. John Hancock Center
    2. Jilly's
    3. Gibson's

I would go to the John Hancock Center after dark. The view is impressive from the 100th floor. Lots of people don't recommend the food, but I honestly had the best Surf & Turf of my life there on the resteraunt floor. Rumor has it that they changed chefs a year or two back and the food has been excellent, but can't shake the bad reputation.

Jilly's is the famous Frank Sinatra hangout. The website looks tacky as hell and the photos are poor, but this place redeems in-person.

Gibson's is the steak joint in Chicago that everyone talks about. I would go just to say you have been there. In my opinion their steaks are pretty average, but to each there own. You will need reservations well in advance.

If you actually like a good steak I would recommend the Rosebud. It's right across from the Knickerbocker hotel, and has been my favorite steak joint for a long time now. They also have this flat cheesy bread that people seem to go crazy for.

You can check ticketmaster for the dates you are in town. Chicago is a very busy, very active city. You will find pages and pages of events.

Be aware that the cab fares to the suburbs and to the airport are not always straightforward. Sometimes they're double the fare on the meter, sometimes 1.5x, sometimes a flat rate. It's all explained on the card in the cab though.
    Thanks for all the great info, i'm going to be busy, but I will try to go to all the great places you have mentioned. Definately looking forward to eating some Lobster since that's what everyone been raving about.

I also heard there are some places that have deep dish pizza that is suppose to be really famous? Know of any places that have good pizza?

LOL, I think my friend was telling me that there are some really poor neighborhoods where the crime rate is really high. Not planning to venture out that way LOL.
    2010 Lambo LP560-4
    2010 Ferrari 599gtb
    09 Nissan GTR
    08 Porsche GT3 RS
    08 Acura RDX
    08 BMW 335
    07 Lexus LS460
    07 Ferrari F430
    06 Lexus IS350 (sold)
    05 Maserati Coupe

My Ride
    Freightliners, Van Diemen, Porsches, URAL!

I second Rage's comment- Buddy Guys! excellent southern food too!

Every time I went, even on open mike night, Buddy was there, jamming with the locals, saw his full show there once too, the who's who of the blues world was in the audience.

Tons of great places to eat, don't be afraid to go to the hood though, awesome BBQ or chicken places.

Go for a walk in Cicero, not quite Al capones neighborhood anymore, but great spanish places.

There are a lot of ethnic neighborhoods with great restaurants, Polish, Norwegian were great.

Can't remember the name of the Museum, but has a real submarine in the basement and a awesome restored train, well worth a look.

Originally posted by kwazy

Thanks for all the great info, i'm going to be busy, but I will try to go to all the great places you have mentioned. Definately looking forward to eating some Lobster since that's what everyone been raving about.

I also heard there are some places that have deep dish pizza that is suppose to be really famous? Know of any places that have good pizza?
    Have fun but nobody in this thread raved about lobster. They said lobster is good on the east coast, not Chicago.

If I were you I'd just check out the Chicago chowhound forum (http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/7) and search for a tourist request thread or something, I'm sure there are lots!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast