Quantcast
Ebay Vehicle Purchase Protection - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ebay Vehicle Purchase Protection

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Ebay Vehicle Purchase Protection

Have any of you's ever used this thing before? I'm thinking of purchasing a car from the states and the seller said this would help ease both our minds seeing that Ebay would hold our money until both parties were satisfied.

Have a vauge idea of how it works, but seems a bit dodgey cuz the seller said that shipping would be included and that she'd take care of it.

Not too sure what to think and if I'll get screwed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    public transit

Hey man trust me it's a scam! What kind of car is it? And how much?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

afaik ebay does not offer an escrow service - youd need a third party

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

There are allot of scams out there, did the e-mail look like this?

I once inquired just for the fun of it:

Hello,
    Thanks for your email ! First of all I want to tell you that I'm not
    located at home,in Stouffville, Ontario,where the car is.
    Because of my job I have to move all the time. The price of the car is
    $8,000.00 I know it may seem low, but i find it reasonable. I have
    no use for the car anyway,due to my job.
    I have a clean title ready to be signed. The car has no electrical or
    mechanical problems.We can use eBay Safe Pay Insurer to complete the
    transaction. The deal will go strictly according to eBay rules and
    policy.
    In order to start the official transaction, I need to know your details:
    -full name and shipping address
    As soon as I have them, I'll start the official procedure and eBay
    service will notify you about this. You'll also receive important
    guidelines and payment instructions from them . I'll handle the
    shipping, so this will be free of charge for you. We will use eBay
    Safe Pay Insurer to manage the payment because it is the safest way
    for both of us and also you will have 10 days to inspect the car
    before I receive the money. Also, a refund policy will be included.
    1992 Acura : NSX
    Kilometres: 75785
    VIN: jh4na1157nt000018
    Inspection: Inspected
    Vehicle Title: Clear
    Condition: Used
    Transmission: Manual
    Engine: 6 Cyl

My Response:

Thanks for your e-mail!

I have been looking for a Blk/Blk NSX for a while. Tell me where you live in Canada and I will be there in the next 2 days, we can do a cash transaction.

His Response:

Hello,
    The car is located in Stouffville, Ontario (in a container at the shipping company ready to be shipp). We will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them.eBay will supervise this transaction so there won`t be any problems.They will take care of the shipping and all the small details.You will get the car and you will have 5 days of inspection in which you can decide if you buy the car or not.If you won`t like my car(not your case)you notify eBay and you send the car back on my cost,if you want to keep it you announce eBay you send the money(payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay)and you keep the car.eBay will send you an invoice at your email in which you will see how to start the this transaction and in which you can see that this transaction is legit.Please get back to me with your full name,full address and phone number so i can forward your details to eBay in order for you to receive the invoice.
    Thank you !

My Response:

I am sorry, I have recently been caught by local authorities with trying to trying to solicit my body online with strangers on the internet. I essentially inquire to thousands of for sale ads in the hopes of finding companionship as I have been really lonely for a really long period of time. Am I unlovable? uncaring? no. Do I have severe birth defects and a womans voice? Yes.

Wish you the best of luck in trying to sell your car.

I haven't received a response yet.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Oh mate, you pretty much nailed it in verbatim!! haha, I said the exact thing, I would fly down to Texas to pick it up if this was in fact legit, and I haven't heard back from her!

Saw it on autotrader for about 5500 bux and then I did some bargaining and got it down for 4800 and then she said she would include shipping for free. That's when the red flag went up, and just like you posted, tried to get me to send the money via ebay purchase protection.

I did read the ebay purchase protection website and they are not affiliated with ebay and are in fact their own company.

Oh well, did seem too good to be true!

Oh yah, it was an S2K by the way and in really good shape.

I did give her my mailing info and then she placed it into some ebay template blah blah blah. I'm hoping that her having my mailing addy won't allow her to scam me...will it?

Anyway, didn't send any money cuz this shit seemed dodgey as!

Thanks for the heads up mate! Wasn't gonna send the money but good do know that my suspicions were accurate!

Fuck I hate scamming cunts!!

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    There are allot of scams out there, did the e-mail look like this?

I once inquired just for the fun of it:

Hello,
    Thanks for your email ! First of all I want to tell you that I'm not
    located at home,in Stouffville, Ontario,where the car is.
    Because of my job I have to move all the time. The price of the car is
    $8,000.00 I know it may seem low, but i find it reasonable. I have
    no use for the car anyway,due to my job.
    I have a clean title ready to be signed. The car has no electrical or
    mechanical problems.We can use eBay Safe Pay Insurer to complete the
    transaction. The deal will go strictly according to eBay rules and
    policy.
    In order to start the official transaction, I need to know your details:
    -full name and shipping address
    As soon as I have them, I'll start the official procedure and eBay
    service will notify you about this. You'll also receive important
    guidelines and payment instructions from them . I'll handle the
    shipping, so this will be free of charge for you. We will use eBay
    Safe Pay Insurer to manage the payment because it is the safest way
    for both of us and also you will have 10 days to inspect the car
    before I receive the money. Also, a refund policy will be included.
    1992 Acura : NSX
    Kilometres: 75785
    VIN: jh4na1157nt000018
    Inspection: Inspected
    Vehicle Title: Clear
    Condition: Used
    Transmission: Manual
    Engine: 6 Cyl

My Response:

Thanks for your e-mail!

I have been looking for a Blk/Blk NSX for a while. Tell me where you live in Canada and I will be there in the next 2 days, we can do a cash transaction.

His Response:

Hello,
    The car is located in Stouffville, Ontario (in a container at the shipping company ready to be shipp). We will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them.eBay will supervise this transaction so there won`t be any problems.They will take care of the shipping and all the small details.You will get the car and you will have 5 days of inspection in which you can decide if you buy the car or not.If you won`t like my car(not your case)you notify eBay and you send the car back on my cost,if you want to keep it you announce eBay you send the money(payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay)and you keep the car.eBay will send you an invoice at your email in which you will see how to start the this transaction and in which you can see that this transaction is legit.Please get back to me with your full name,full address and phone number so i can forward your details to eBay in order for you to receive the invoice.
    Thank you !

My Response:

I am sorry, I have recently been caught by local authorities with trying to trying to solicit my body online with strangers on the internet. I essentially inquire to thousands of for sale ads in the hopes of finding companionship as I have been really lonely for a really long period of time. Am I unlovable? uncaring? no. Do I have severe birth defects and a womans voice? Yes.

Wish you the best of luck in trying to sell your car.

I haven't received a response yet.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    335i

Anytime you see a posting where the price is unreasonably cheap and they won't let you fly down to pick up the car, it's a scam. If they want you to use escrow, its a scam. If they want your banking information, it's a scam.

If you buy from the states, know the limits. You are not going to find an unreasonably cheap car, even in the states.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Anytime you see a posting where the price is unreasonably cheap and they won't let you fly down to pick up the car, it's a scam. If they want you to use escrow, its a scam. If they want your banking information, it's a scam.

If you buy from the states, know the limits. You are not going to find an unreasonably cheap car, even in the states.
    Yah, those were my initial sentiments. I was curious to see though just to see if there really was such a things as too good to be true! haha

So are there any things that I should be worried about her (or him) having my addy and name?

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    MB C63

Haha i inquired about the exact same car!!!

Is it Melissa Tompson?

Haha I'm still emailing her just to see how much bs she can come up with, its pretty funny!

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Yup yup, that'd be the one bro! Too many fucking scams aye! n:

Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
    haha this one?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=HONDA&co

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by djayz
    Haha i inquired about the exact same car!!!

Is it Melissa Tompson?

Haha I'm still emailing her just to see how much bs she can come up with, its pretty funny!
    Yah mate, she (or he) I'm assuming it's a bloke using the cover of a bird to make it look less dodgey!

Did you offer to buy it as well and did she give you the same option with ebay purchase protection plan? Ever since I offered to come fly down there to pick it up, I haven't heard anything from her!! Oh well, at least it's obvious it's a scam

Hey, just out of curiosity, how do they get the money? I did a search on that ebay protection and it does come up with a site. So how does the scammer actually get that money? Is it not going to the ebay site and in fact going straight into the scammers account?

I'm not much of a scammer so I'm pretty naive I guess on how to take someone's money! haha

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    MB C63

In my first email I said I would like some more details on the vehicle and some more pictures then right away she responded with the ebay protection plan thing. Then I said there would be no need for that as I would be personally coming to see/purchase the vehicle and would be handing over cash/cheque. Thats when she stated that the cars with her in dallas texas because of her job.

I then emailed back saying thats fine I will still come and she said the ebay protection plan is a good way to cover us both and she said that she would ship the car to me let me view/inspect it for 5 days and if I didn't like the car then I could let her know and she would take it back all on her expense.

So I said interesting...I get a car for 5 days to do whatever I want and all she needs is my name and address. So I was like lets fuck with this bitch a little haha.

I emailed back confirming that all costs and everything would be covered by her and I would have 5 days to inspect the vehicle before purchasing. I then stated to her and said what if the car is damaged before shipping and when it gets here it's messed up and I don't want it, will you still take it back or will you blame the damage on me and make me pay for it?

Since then I haven't heard back from her. My first two emails she responded within hours but the last 2 its been a day or two in between so she knows I've caught on but I'm going to milk this until something happens. I even face booked Melissa Tompson but its some indian girl by the looks of it haha so I dont know probably just stolen identity.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Haha, I did the same thing and it's that girl with the bloke in the photo aye!!

That's so funny, when have you been emailing her? I did this just this past week! How do you report scams like this anyway?

Would be a real shame if people actually sent the money!

Originally posted by djayz
    In my first email I said I would like some more details on the vehicle and some more pictures then right away she responded with the ebay protection plan thing. Then I said there would be no need for that as I would be personally coming to see/purchase the vehicle and would be handing over cash/cheque. Thats when she stated that the cars with her in dallas texas because of her job.

I then emailed back saying thats fine I will still come and she said the ebay protection plan is a good way to cover us both and she said that she would ship the car to me let me view/inspect it for 5 days and if I didn't like the car then I could let her know and she would take it back all on her expense.

So I said interesting...I get a car for 5 days to do whatever I want and all she needs is my name and address. So I was like lets fuck with this bitch a little haha.

I emailed back confirming that all costs and everything would be covered by her and I would have 5 days to inspect the vehicle before purchasing. I then stated to her and said what if the car is damaged before shipping and when it gets here it's messed up and I don't want it, will you still take it back or will you blame the damage on me and make me pay for it?

Since then I haven't heard back from her. My first two emails she responded within hours but the last 2 its been a day or two in between so she knows I've caught on but I'm going to milk this until something happens. I even face booked Melissa Tompson but its some indian girl by the looks of it haha so I dont know probably just stolen identity.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    NC1

^^

Some people actually do and get pwned!

At least you posted here. Remember, if it's too good to be true.......

Trust no one
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    MB C63

Yah I emailed her first two days ago and since then I've been emailing her.

From what I got out of this whole thing is we don't have to send any money she covers all shipping charges etc back and forth. Only if we are going to purchase the car we send the money for the car.

I'm going to take this a step further and send her a name and address (not mine) and see how far she goes haha.

My Ride
    60 Double Cab, 60 Beetle, 86 Jetta, 99 Passat Var

Here's the response you get back from Ebay when you send them A name and address. I wanted to see how far one could go without sending $.

Buyer and Seller agree on the transaction terms and a selling price. Seller contacts eBay Customer Support with the transaction details;
    eBay Customer Support accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the Buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from neither Buyer or Seller);
    The Buyer receives an invoice and sends the payment to eBay Customer Support. After the payment is verified by eBay Customer Support, the Seller will initiate the shipping.
    The Buyer receives the vehicle and has five (5) business days to inspect it. If it is as described and as agreed, the Buyer should accept the vehicle. If he refuses it, the Buyer must ship the vehicle back to the Seller expense;
    After the inspection period is over (5 business days), the Buyer must contact eBay Customer Support with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer accepts the vehicle, the payment will be sent to the Seller within three (3) business days.

From what I understand, if you choose to not accept the car, they leave it in storage in the last shipped destination until they can find another sucker.

There sure are a ton of these types of super cheap cars that come up. Lots on Kijiji. My head just does not work this way. Who comes up with these ideas?

The new story is...recently divorced. Husband cheated IN the car! (Not really a selling feature) and want to get rid of it fast. E-bay protection allows her to donate the money easier too. Cripes!

Heads up out there.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Bahahaha, I asked about an S2K on kijiji which was on sale for 8000, got this message back:

Hi
    I'm really sorry for this late reply but I've been very busy lately and away from a computer. The car is located in St. John's . It has all the papers(complete). This was my son's car who passed away 8 months ago, it only brings me bad memories. I want this transaction to be smooth as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and I don't have much time at my disposal. The car is in perfect condition, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs what so ever, no leaks, rust free. A great car ready to be yours. It has a clear title.
    The price is $8500 including shipping costs anywhere in Canada. There are no other costs regarding this transaction. Regarding payment I am aware of the Kijiji's rules and we will use Vehicle Purchase Protection Program which will hold the payment until you receive the car. If you are interested please let me know the following information:
    - full name
    - address for shipping
    If I receive the requested information you will be informed by Kijiji during the next hours with details about your purchase.

Thank you,
    Andrew

Kijiji doesn't even have a Vehicle Purchase Protection Program what a fucking retard.