Quantcast
CV boot replacement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CV boot replacement

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default CV boot replacement

When replacing the outter cv boot, how do you get that outter axle off? I've been reading that you have to hammer it off, but will that put a lot of stress on the side that's connected to the motor?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Jag

take my advice and replace the whole shaft. replacing just the boot can come back and burn you.

but yes to pull your axle disconnect your shock from your lower control arm, your sway bar link and your lower ball joint. than hit off the 32mm axle nut. to get the axle out take a pry bar or a large punch and hit the inner part of the axle till it comes out. make sure you have something under your car cause some transmission fluid will come out. while your at it, it probably will be a good idea to do your seal as well

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Oops, my bad, I meant outter part of the axel, where the outter boot is attached to. It's still too early in the morning!!

Yah, I've been reading threads for the past while about changing the boots and everyone on honda-tech says to take out the entire axle! As far as I know the axle is still in good shape, but I do need to change the boot cuz it's torn. changed the brakes, the oil, the strut and isn't it always the case, you'll find something else that needs to be changed!! Damn OG's and their OG cars!!

But yah, I'm only keen on changing the outter boot, so when I take the wheel off, the 32mm nut, the lower castle nut and cotter pin and hammer it so it breaks, how am I taking off the outter part so I can slide the boot onto the axle?

Cheers again mate for the help.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    public transit

u have to take off the ball joint

My Ride
    Jag

sorry been away from the comp most of today. but why they say that on honda tech is cause the whole thing has to come out. i know its cheaper to just do the boot but there is a reason why at shops we don't just replace the boot. which is the fact that its so easy to screw up (i know it seems easy) and later on down the road maybe the clip that holds the boot in place slips and you loose all your grease and what ever gets in there just fucks it up and than you have to replace the whole axle lol.

its happened to me once, at a small shop. happy that dealerships only do axles.

but to take the axle out it only takes 20min if your slow

My Ride
    95 GSR

me and my friend changed my whole cv axle and took 4hours...that's cause the axle was btch and wouldn't come out.

but ya the axle wasn't too expensive i only had to change my boot but ended changing the whole thing. If you go to partsource they do a refund if you give them your old damaged axle. They don't refund the whole thing but pretty close to it. I paid i think 170 for a new axle and returned damaged one and got 80 back.
    Originally posted by Neil4Speed

No your wrong. Checking out tits/ass is like looking at the sun. You can't stare at it long, it's too risky. You get a sense of it then you look away.