Quantcast
Getting the last rep in? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting the last rep in?

My Ride
    X5

Default Getting the last rep in?

Hey guys,
    This is more for people who don't have a training partner like myself. I usually lift heavy weights because im an ectomorph and am trying to put on size, but i usually find that on working sets I am almost always one or maybe two reps short of my target number of reps. Is there any advice or tips that you guys use to squeeze out this last rep if you don't have a training parter?

I have been trying rest-pause technique ( just a quick 5-10 second rest to get the last rep in)

Thanks,
    Marsh

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

quickly lower the weight a little?

My Ride
    wrx wagon

It's all mental man. Just focus on keeping perfect posture and form, and concentrating solely on the muscle that the exercise is targeting. Close your eyes, grunt if you have to, and giver. There's not really much advice anyone can give, either you force yourself to do it, or you don't. If you just can't do it, then go down in weight or reps.

My Ride
    WRX STI

I do as most weight as i can handel , 3 sets of 8 reps. Then on the 4th set you shouldnt be able to make it to 8 but try ur best. Your muscles should feel pretty dead after.

I also take creatine. Drink 15 min before the work out. Gives your muscles an awesome boost of energy and you can find u can lift more weight and push alot harder. Then drink another glass after before you take your protine shake.

Ya alot of it is mental. You really got to ignore the pain. I find creatine really makes your muscles not feel tired during the reps so that helps.

Are you AT the gym or home gym?

Ask for a spot...only douches would say no.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

next time you're lifting remember how some stranger (me) called you a pussy for not doing it. Then get all e-thug angry and finish off the set. Pussy.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    TDi

Yeah I would agree about asking for a spot.

Grunting also does the trick. Close your eyes, scrunch up your face, and just put all the power into that last rep.
    GO FLAMES GO!

steroids

It's best, too, while grunting, to let out a huge, stinking fart. If you touch cloth, you get style points too....just don't fret the wet, you may drop the weights.

Depending on the exercice, just try focusing on the negative motion as slow as possible. Heavy negs are great for breaking plateaus

My Ride
    X5

Haha thanks for the advice. Its usually just the last set or sometimes the 2nd last set where I end up short, but I go very early in the morning to the gym so there really isn't anybody else there, that is the only problem with asking for a spot, but otherwise good advice. Thanks

use the smith machine if you can't let your ego drop 5lbs a side or w/e?

My Ride
    UA6

As you already mentioned and as someone else suggested, I like to do rest-pause or drop sets when working out without a spot. Although only recommended for people with experience and only on certain exercises, safely cheating on that last rep can be useful too.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Originally posted by colinxx235
    steroids
    LOL, awesome
    Autosignature

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Default Re: Getting the last rep in?

Originally posted by Marsh
    Hey guys,
    This is more for people who don't have a training partner like myself. I usually lift heavy weights because im an ectomorph and am trying to put on size, but i usually find that on working sets I am almost always one or maybe two reps short of my target number of reps. Is there any advice or tips that you guys use to squeeze out this last rep if you don't have a training parter?

I have been trying rest-pause technique ( just a quick 5-10 second rest to get the last rep in)

Thanks,
    Marsh
    Really there is no way, I wouldn't get too hung up on entirely fatiguing the muscle though. Read up on the topic a bit, that last rep, at the risk of having a weight smash your sternum isn't worth it.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Originally posted by a social dsease
    It's all mental man. Just focus on keeping perfect posture and form, and concentrating solely on the muscle that the exercise is targeting. Close your eyes, grunt if you have to, and giver. There's not really much advice anyone can give, either you force yourself to do it, or you don't. If you just can't do it, then go down in weight or reps.
    Wrong

keeping perfect posture and form on your last rep you can harldy do isn't going to work, you'll end up sacrificing these things on your last reps to push through

i wouldn't close eyes either, the risk of passing out ...
    Autosignature

Originally posted by calgarygts
    next time you're lifting remember how some stranger (me) called you a pussy for not doing it. Then get all e-thug angry and finish off the set. Pussy.
    This is how i get it done. Training partners say it is a terrible way and that they cant do it. For me, getting mentally angry for 30 seconds thinking of something that really rattled you that week always helps me get a couple more out than i would normally be able to.

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    Are you AT the gym or home gym?

Ask for a spot...only douches would say no.
    Best advice on here... on my heavy set, when I'm alone, I always always ALWAYS ask for a spot.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    It's best, too, while grunting, to let out a huge, stinking fart.

So true. If you're concentrating on holding in the fart, you're not putting 100% into pushing the weight!

I find having a good spot will help you get 2-3 more reps out, especially good for getting in some negatives at the end.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Originally posted by pinoyhero

keeping perfect posture and form on your last rep you can harldy do isn't going to work, you'll end up sacrificing these things on your last reps to push through
    +1. I stop when my form starts to deteriorate. It's not worth risking injury just for that last rep.

I laugh when I see those people arch their backs and their faces turn red when they try to push for the last rep while benching.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast