Quantcast
Shell gas ruins the cat? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shell gas ruins the cat?

My Ride
    Highlander

Default Shell gas ruins the cat?

Last week my mom had a servicing on her 2002 Suzuki aerio. The whole car had smelled like rotten eggs since very shortly after she got the car so I naturally thought it was the catalytic converter. When she went for her first servicing, I told her to get the dealership to check it out. They told her they wouldn't look at the problem until she had at least 8,000 Km on the car. So when she went back last week for a servicing, she was over 8000 and I reminded her to ask them about it.

She came home to report that the dealership said that Shell gas makes your car smell like that and also ruins your catalytic converter in the process. Soemthing about there being an overload of sulfer in the gas. I had never heard of anything like this but apparently this particular dealership gets a variety of misc cars (including BMW) with this same problem. Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?

Mel

That's bullshit. With the amount of people using Shell the whole city would smell like rotten eggs if that were the case and there would be huge class action lawsuits if it damaged catalitic converters. Sounds to me like the dealer realised they were responsible and told your mom some bullshit so they wouldn't have to fix the problem. That's like if your engine blew up and the dealer said that Mobil 1 was responsible. What BS. Dealers are such rapists

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by BigMass
    That's bullshit. With the amount of people using Shell the whole city would smell like rotten eggs if that were the case and there would be huge class action lawsuits if it damaged catalitic converters. Sounds to me like the dealer realised they were responsible and told your mom some bullshit so they wouldn't have to fix the problem. That's like if your engine blew up and the dealer said that Mobil 1 was responsible. What BS. Dealers are such rapists
    you see, this is what I thought as well. Mom asked me to look into it since I was just as shocked to hear this as she was. Suggestions on what can be done?

Didn't Shell have issues with wrecking fuel guage sending units with thier 87 octane gas? Or was it injectors? There was some issues with some detergents they used before, so I dunno, could be related.

sorry i am not an expert and dont know the facts. I've never owned a new car before so i dont know what warranty covers. If it covers the cat i would get them to change it. If not, there is not much you can do to prove that they are responsible. It's very hard to force dealerships to do something they dont want to. And taking it to court wouldnt be worth it. So if they dont fix it i recommend your mom take it to a muffler shop like Carline or Rapid Break and Muffler and get them to check it out. If they decide that the cat is really to blame then at least they will do the work cheaper then the dealer would (dealer rapes). Or if you're positive it's the cat you could save money by buying one from Partsource and paying a muffler shop like $20 to install it.

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
    Didn't Shell have issues with wrecking fuel guage sending units with thier 87 octane gas? Or was it injectors? There was some issues with some detergents they used before, so I dunno, could be related.
    If that were the case i would call a lawyer and start a class action lawsuit against Shell. I just dont see it as being true or else it would be a huge scandal already

Did some searching......what I came up with.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/transportati...l_canada_face/

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/030815/11/uaw2.html

http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_...ellcanada.html

Seems to be related to a different issue than the emissions....the additive was apparently withdrawn last year in March. Most manufacturers warranty the emissions components for 8 years or 100K kilometers. It's some kind of law I believe.
    Last edited by Akagi Redsuns; 09-17-2003 at 09:14 AM.

well i'll be damned. There is a class action lawsuit against them. But does it only apply to people living in Quebec?

That's what it looks like.

If the cat is screwed up, the dealer should be replacing it under the bumper to bumper warranty and if not, the emissions warranty. I am hoping they don't play the "It's your fault because of the gas you put in" line. The only requirement that the manufacturer specifies is octane (Aero is 87 I would think). The warranty booklet that came with the car should explain the components and replacements.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It was both. They accidently reintroduced the additive in a few refineries recently as well, therefore Shell is asking people with dead gauges or injectors in some cities to call them so they can pay for repairs.

I've seen the sign in a few stations up in Edmonton.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

It was both. They accidently reintroduced the additive in a few refineries recently as well, therefore Shell is asking people with dead gauges or injectors in some cities to call them so they can pay for repairs.

Yup. My mothers Chevy Blazer's injectors got munged from that batch of Shell gas. Shell paid for the repairs.

My Ride
    pedals

That's what it looks like.

If the cat is screwed up, the dealer should be replacing it under the bumper to bumper warranty and if not, the emissions warranty. I am hoping they don't play the "It's your fault because of the gas you put in" line. The only requirement that the manufacturer specifies is octane (Aero is 87 I would think). The warranty booklet that came with the car should explain the components and replacements.
    indeed. its not your fault if they didnt tell you that shell gas was bad. if the car only has 8000k then im pretty sure its covered under even the most basic warrenty.

Hey Mel, Davan had this same problemo but it wasnt gas related...
    Maybe talk to him about it.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by FastDak318
    Hey Mel, Davan had this same problemo but it wasnt gas related...
    Maybe talk to him about it.
    Yeah I remember him having several headaches with the dealership as well...I have a feeling suzuki are gonna do the same. maybe i'll bring it to my dad's attention, i have a feeling that they arent gonna listen to me or my mom

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Cats DO go sour all on their own, without needing sulphur pollution to do it. That being said, if its shell fuel thats causing the problem, it would have to be one of the additives because shell's base fuel has some of the lowest sulphur content of any of the refiners.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    Highlander

Anywhere I can find all this info to show the dealership? No sense in dancing with them, might as well just bring them the facts and tell them they're obviously mistaken with their info. It's a pretty new car with like 11,000 Km on it, if they wanna leave my mom driving this for the next 3 years (its a lease) that's garbage

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

Hey Mel... I heard my name somewhere...

Anyways, I never got my problems resovled. GM just ran me in circles. Typical.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not gas related. Just a plain old bad cat that the dealer doesn't want to replace. They even tried to blame it on my intake, changing air-fuel rates, even though the first TWO times I brought the car in was BEFORE I had installed the intake.

I actually remember a couple years ago, it was Esso that had the highest sulfur rating in thier gas... It probalby changes all the time though. I run mostly Petro-Can. Occassionally Shell. And the odd Husky.

My Ride
    '99 Civic HB, '95 Odyssey

I had a Sentra that produced a rotten egg smell. The dealer told me it was the cat and it had something to do with the type of gas I was using but I don't remember which it was. I have noticed that Nissans seem to poduce that smell more than other cars so it might have something to do with the design of a specific type of car + high sulphur gas.

Dunno, though...just throwing in my .02

Greg

My Ride
    BMW E70

It'd better not be Shell gas. Shell is all I run in my car, Gotta get my airmiles

My Ride
    GT TDi

Originally posted by rage2

do you have more info on this? my dads car always read 1/4 tank no matter how much he has, had his fuel pump changed a couple of times, etc etc.

btw, i sometimes fill up at shell, and my car has a constant smell, i find it pleasant, it smells like semi trucks driving in front of you, lol.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast