Quantcast
$170M Glenmore Tr. project complete - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: $170M Glenmore Tr. project complete

Originally posted by KyleTA
    glenmore and 37th st is still a shit show for the most part
    As is Crowchild, from Nose Hill Dr to Stoney Trail, among other parts.

My folks live up in that area and it seems like that area's been under construction for ~5+ years!!!

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I hope theyre not done.. the road along that whole new section is garbage. Does know one in this city not know how to built a smooth flat surface? With the condition that the roads in along with the right/left hand sweeper and the stupid lane exits and entries you're going to see some serious accidents. I can't believe that was a $170M project, it looks like they just carried in a bunch of used roads and pieced them together.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by dimi
    Its such a dumb fucking design. 2x more lights everywhere
    Its still easier to go from Glenmore to Elbow though. More lights yes, but they move so much faster.

I'm not trying to say its the most ideal design, but I think they did a damn good job considering the entire project is surrounded by a lake and houses with hardly any space to work with.

2years 2 late..took that route every day for 5fucking years to uni
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

16th ave is getting more lights between 10th an center

is the construction at 14th and glenmore complete now too?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Originally posted by KyleTA

glenmore and 37th st is still a shit show for the most part
    They plan to tackle that next, there should be an overpass there within the next 5-10 years.

Originally posted by kenny

Everywhere the city is pushing density, aka "Transit Oriented Development".

Heritage and Macleod Trail will be a shitshow once the condos and other buildings are complete there.
    They are in the planning phases of building an overpass there in the near future as well. Luckily the city actually planned ahead a little bit and left plenty of open space to work with.

Originally posted by finboy

is the construction at 14th and glenmore complete now too?
    Yes, that's what I was referring to, that little section was the last phase to be opened, as of last night city crews took down all the cones and pylons and changed the 50 signs to 80's.
    Michael Scott: "Do I want to be feared or loved? Um... easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

Originally posted by PGTze
    They are in the planning phases of building an overpass there in the near future as well. Luckily the city actually planned ahead a little bit and left plenty of open space to work with.
    "Planning ahead" would be constructing the necessary infrastructure before or during development and densification of the area.

IIRC, there are more condos and commercial buildings planned for the Heritage LRT station area and while the city wants people to take transit, it is more likely that people will drive instead of hopping onto the train.
    ---

3 lanes over Glenmore for Deerfoot N and S would be awesome in the mornings. I think there is a lot of changes that could be made at a lower cost than the overpasses by just changing traffic flow and light control.

My Ride
    E36 M3

Transit Oriented Development is awesome...IF you provide the transit first. Densifying the area, increasing strain and load on existing infrastructure and leaving the transit improvement for years down the road is not so awesome.

My Ride
    Ram

deerfoot, where anderson is and glenmore, such a stupid fucking design

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

I was so pumped on the way to work this morning to see this was done! Too bad the city can't do anything about the idiots behind the wheel in Calgary, I still got stuck behind a bunch of cars doing 50

My Ride
    4Runner

anyone have a before and after picture? I remember it being really small, but can't remember how small. I also remember a Husky gas station on glenmore?
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Always wanted a celica? Or just since you got your first period?

My Ride
    MB C63

So after spending 170 million is it any better for those that drive on it daily?

Originally posted by kenny

Heritage and Macleod Trail will be a shitshow once the condos and other buildings are complete there.
    I agree. It's bad already. Even changing the lanes to a dual lane turn from Heritage onto Macleod didn't help.

Originally posted by djayz
    So after spending 170 million is it any better for those that drive on it daily?
    Not really.

14th Street northbound to Glenmore west is about the same. Never had problems there to begin with.

Crowchild Southbound to Glenmore east is a bit better since the right lane doesn't end now, but it wasn't worth waiting 3 years for. It just ends up bottlenecking at the Hosptial and at Heritage park.

The elbow drive interchange and pathetic ramp going to Chinook center from eastbound Glenmore is a joke. They really dropped the ball there. It was way more efficient before they did anything.

All in all it was a useless project. They let it sit idle for a year, caused all kinds of traffic backups for three years and there's hardly any benefit.

My Ride
    Audi

I wouldn't say hardly any benefit - considering how much traffic has increased, if the project was not done it'd be significantly worse then it is now. They just could've done better.

I do agree with benyl........ country hills is a friggin disaster. Granted, he does drive it more then I do! So many lights on such a major east/west route.

My Ride
    MB C63

I would have to say the lights in this city are the number one bottleneck, everything is stop and go because of the lights and nothing flows like it should and could.

Memorial/16th ave and deerfoot interchange is a prime example of this. Take 16th for example heading west you get a green line at 19st come down the hill to a red light you stop. No traffic goes accross onto deerfoot but you sit and wait. Light turns green for westbound traffic and 20 meters away you hit another red light that waits for no traffic to pass, you then get a green light to go southbound on deerfoot and hit another light 15 meters away to watching noting go by on eastbound 16th. Horrible shit.

Next would have to be the lanes that end in the middle of no where then reappear way down the line. You all know where these are so I don't need to type out anything.

im kind of sad now though...i have no excuse to be late for work anymore. "oooh glenmore traffic was CRAZY! it was at a stand still!" haha jk jk

i was off work at 4, on my way home i take glenmore to crowchild, at first i was like wow...this whole project sucks shit, there's still a TON of traffic and its backed up like no other, but when i got home my dad told me that there was an accident further up the road.

oh and people who are in the far right hand lane trying to get into the left lanes to go through instead of going onto crowchild need to realize that there is a LOOOONG road ahead to make the change over.
    they fucking cluster fuck the whole right side where the left n right side meet, because they're soo worried they wont make it into the left hand lanes.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Oh dear god, I didn't know they were thinking of Heritage and Macleod... that'll be a nightmare for me (I live quite close)

And they're thinking of a traffic circle? ARRRRRGHHHHHHH

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/...roundabout.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

And they're thinking of a traffic circle? ARRRRRGHHHHHHH

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/...roundabout.pdf

Traffic circle...really?
    people here can barely figure out four way stops and traffic lights

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    i was off work at 4, on my way home i take glenmore to crowchild, at first i was like wow...this whole project sucks shit, there's still a TON of traffic and its backed up like no other, but when i got home my dad told me that there was an accident further up the road.
    Yeah, I literally read this thread, left work and it was the slowest from blackfoot to crowchild ever
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast