Quantcast
2nd Gen Rx-7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gen Rx-7

Default 2nd Gen Rx-7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is there any 2nd gen people out there ?
    I need some sugestions on mods , and I'd like to hear any problem's you may have encountered along the the way.
    I just puchased a 1987 gx n/a last friday
    1987 Rx-7 GX

My Ride
    3 Rotor RX7

only thing i would suggest is swap your motor for a 13b TT .. and from there you can go on.

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

20B all the way!!!!!

its only what, 15K and 300 hours?
    Having a fast Honda is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still retarded

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

I would recommend a racing beat header/presilencer. That is generally the best bang for the buck to start off with. Then make sure that your 5th and 6th intake ports are opening properly, I was pissed when i realized mine weren't after owning the car for 2 years.
    Last edited by ecstasyracer; 09-17-2003 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by ecstasyracer
    I would recommend a racing beat header/presilencer. That is generally the best bang for the buck to start off with. Then make sure that your 5th and 6th intake ports are opening properly, I was pissed when i realized mine weren't after owning the car for 2 years.
    Thanks for the heads up
    I was actually reading up on that issue yesterday,and a freind of mine had the same problem because of staight pipes.
    1987 Rx-7 GX

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

what i would do if i were you, is to just get that engine to run fine, and then go for either a 20B swap or 13B TT swap. o and you cant get stock replacement apex seals, they have the same ones, but with the same mmaterial as the RX-8s (forgot what it was...) but apparently they swal better and last longer.
    Having a fast Honda is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still retarded

Originally posted by Eric Happy Meal
    what i would do if i were you, is to just get that engine to run fine, and then go for either a 20B swap or 13B TT swap. o and you cant get stock replacement apex seals, they have the same ones, but with the same mmaterial as the RX-8s (forgot what it was...) but apparently they swal better and last longer.
    20b can you explain were I could buy this motor
    maybe 20b twin turbo
    1987 Rx-7 GX

My Ride
    '15 GTI

uhh whats with you guys and these huge engines you wanna swap in...thats some major $$$, the later turboII engines from the FC chassis are pretty potent and can be had for alot less

Everyone likes to think big and think its a easy swap to put in a 13B-REW from a FD3S and a 20B-REW from the Cosmo in Japan, without realizing what a HUGE undertaking such a project would be in a NA FC3S, for time and more importantly $$$$. If anything use the 13BT that came in the FC3S Turbo and put that in. Usually it's a lot easier to just buy the Turbo II car itself and you get the turbo engine, but also the better tranny, LSD rear end, bigger brakes and the turbo suspension pieces. I say on the NA, just do the standard I/H/E mod, activate the 6PI electronically or through the airpump (to see the actuators, follow the small airpipe coming from the exhaust to the side of the engine). The non-turbos are still a fun car to drive with a few mods, just lose in raw accleration and top speed to a stock Turbo II.

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

and the NA engine isnt the same as the turbo engine, just in case you hadnt learned that yet, and the Na engine cant ever make the same hp as the turbo one could.

My Ride
    White Car #3

Some general problems you're probably gonna get is grinding gears, the wiper switch won't work, leaking injectors, clogged catalytic converter. You'll spend a good amount of money fixing alot of things on this car, but when everything works, you'll be happy.
    However, I would sell the NA and get yourself a Turbo II.
    But if you're adamant about keeping the NA body, The 13BT can make as much power as the 13BREW with the right mods.
    You won't regret it.

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

o and i think you can get the 20B from www.nipponmotors.com the 20B is the three rotor, and as near as i can tell they weere all twin turbo.

4 port NA bridge port motors are pretty potent too.

My Ride
    "i dunno, i just drive it"

i've just finished a 13bt s4 (motor and tranny) into an 88 gx

it was relatively straightforward except for modifying the wiring harness from the n332 ecu to match the n/a gauge cluster and such

otherwise, it runs like a stock tII

awesome car and a lot of fun to drive

there's a 13b-re twin turbo out of a 91 cosmo at kawa used jap. engines w/ an auto tranny right now

thanx for everyones help on this subject. does anyone know if there is a rx-7 specialty shop in calgary?
    1987 Rx-7 GX

My Ride
    "i dunno, i just drive it"

yeah rx-7 specialties, but they rip people off and do creappy rebuilds

but your welcome to look in the phone book for the number

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

just do the work yourself, will save you lots of time and money, and then everyones happier.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
    Everyone likes to think big and think its a easy swap to put in a 13B-REW from a FD3S and a 20B-REW from the Cosmo in Japan, without realizing what a HUGE undertaking such a project would be in a NA FC3S, for time and more importantly $$$$. If anything use the 13BT that came in the FC3S Turbo and put that in. Usually it's a lot easier to just buy the Turbo II car itself and you get the turbo engine, but also the better tranny, LSD rear end, bigger brakes and the turbo suspension pieces. I say on the NA, just do the standard I/H/E mod, activate the 6PI electronically or through the airpump (to see the actuators, follow the small airpipe coming from the exhaust to the side of the engine). The non-turbos are still a fun car to drive with a few mods, just lose in raw accleration and top speed to a stock Turbo II.
    Yup...
    although remember the GX is about 500 pounds lighter than a TII...
    Depends what you want to do with the car really, street drive it around calgary and run the 1/4, do a no holds barred n/a with twin throttle bodies and a full bridge port, won't idle worth a pinch but it scare the panties off the grannies when you go cruisin..If you want a nice cruising car with occasional highway in mind, do a turbo with a stand alone, the worst thing about mazda's is the stock turbo stuff, I started with a TII when I built my turbo car, but very little of the turbo stuff that was stock is left, basically the diff, tranny and driveshaft, I am now working on suspension... With the moderate to large turbo, I can drive my car anywhere, its pretty docile, till 10 psi comes around then its a whole different machine...
    I love the second gen cars, they are cheap to buy and pretty cheap to drive..
    But there is a reality to, you bought an 87 GX, how much money do you want to spend on it, considering its pretty much the cheapest fc you can buy....
    20b 3 rotor, at least 15 grand and thats doing it all yourself, I've looked into it...
    13brew, mounts need to be swapped, plumbing is different..
    13bt, if you could get the motor cheap enough, and understand turbocar fundamentals much better than the average joe..
    13b n/a if all you want is 200-250, that would be a decent route..maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

o and a 20B swap in an FC is cheaper than in an FD, beacuse in an FD you need to buy a new subframe...

and bridgeports are the coolest sounding things in the world!!! too bad they dont last so long.

My Ride
    something green

You need to buy new mounts for the FC as well, if you were to fabricate the mounts for an FC, you could also fabricate the subframe for the FD, its about the same amount of work, 6 and half dozen of the other really, the price tag is about the same, also the FD already has a semiworkable intercooler setup, where as the FC needs a good size fmic added, for the price of a running 300 hp 3 rotor, I could build a 600 hp 2 rotor and still have money left over...Maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast