Quantcast
Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission

Default Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission

Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission

A member of the North American GT-R Owner's Club forums started a thread recently in which he tells about dropping off his Nissan GT-R at the dealership when he began hearing loud noises coming from the rear of the car. The dealership told him that his transmission was toast as a direct result of him turning off the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too much, which you have to do in order to use the Launch Control function. The cost to repair the tranny is $20,000 and Nissan won't cover it under warranty since the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is for when you're rocking the vehicle because it's stuck in mud or snow. That's kind of like Nissan saying you should never use the Launch Control function despite the fact it's there.

My Ride
    93 integra

Figures. They've been dicks about this car ever since way before it came out. Saying they'd protect the price but they aren't stopping price gauging. Nissan dropped the ball on so many aspects with this car...Not with the car but with customer service. Like telling a Ferrari owner don't rev it over 4000 rpm or else no more warranty...

My Ride
    Elitist ideas into puritan minds

The owner knows the conditions before taking ownership of the car (heard representative explaining terms to owner of the new GT-R at Stadium NISSAN) - It is a shame as it's not a singular case.

Save for a class action suit that would win in court, I do not see how clients can expect NISSAN to pay for something that is pointed out as a NO NO

I'd buy a slower, more expensive Porsche any day.

25 seconds slower around the 'ring, at that!!

LMAO @ the Nissan "supercar"

My Ride
    Forester XT Limited, Nissan Micra, Honda Ruckus

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    I'd buy a slower, more expensive Porsche any day.
    Oh ya the Porsche may not be the slow one anymore according to the claim that nissan cheated in its test results on Nurburgring.
    Was it too good to be true?

My Ride
    2009 Impreza

Buy a sarcasm detector.

My Ride
    05 Lifted ram-08 Mega Cab Dually-1946 383 Chev

His may just be broken :P

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Did anybody consider this guy spent a whole day launching the car from every light and generally beating the living shit out of it? I understand that the car should take it, but really...whos to say what he did to it. I say thumbs up for putting black boxes in the cars to bust these dumbasses. If he actually didnt beat the shit out of it, i say to nissan, build a decent tranny. But really, from the previous generations of GTR ive seen from nissan, and every other awesome car they build, im sure they know what the fuck they are doing, and im sure this will be an isolated incident between a few dumbasses that abuse the car and think they will get warranty. I think i saw a few other cases with Integras or something on here, where a guy thought it would be fun to bounce his car off the limiter all the time, blew the engine, took it to acura and they said fuck off, were not warrantying this, you beat the shit out of it.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 10-13-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Did anybody consider this guy spent a whole day launching the car from every light and generally beating the living shit out of it? I understand that the car should take it, but really...whos to say what he did to it. I say thumbs up for putting black boxes in the cars to bust these dumbasses. If he actually didnt beat the shit out of it, i say to nissan, build a decent tranny. But really, from the previous generations of GTR ive seen from nissan, and every other awesome car they build, im sure they know what the fuck they are doing, and im sure this will be an isolated incident between a few dumbasses that abuse the car and think they will get warranty. I think i saw a few other cases with Integras or something on here, where a guy thought it would be fun to bounce his car off the limiter all the time, blew the engine, took it to acura and they said fuck off, were not warrantying this, you beat the shit out of it.
    You shouldn't be able to abuse an automatically controlled transmission, end of story.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by 962 kid

You shouldn't be able to abuse an automatically controlled transmission, end of story.
    and thats why LC is not an OFFICIAL feature. YES its there to use, but you are accepting the risk you are going to wreck stuff by using it, and thats why nissan makes you sign shit. If it was an official feature, i could see people having a case, but its not, they threw it in for kicks. But we'll see how many transmissions get wrecked, because i think this is going to be a small portion of people who break them. Its not like the car isnt a supercar without LC, its still brutally fast, and takes out cars wayy above its class, without LC.

My Ride
    Bicycle

People are making this way bigger of a deal than it is.

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/m5-5-s...s-waranty.html

Launch control also void warranty on the any SMG equipped M series.

So will buyers now demand launch control counts if buying used GT-Rs? Every launch will take $1000 off CBB?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-13-2008 at 10:00 PM.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Now where's the sarcasm for bmw fanboys

and thats why LC is not an OFFICIAL feature. YES its there to use, but you are accepting the risk you are going to wreck stuff by using it, and thats why nissan makes you sign shit. If it was an official feature, i could see people having a case, but its not, they threw it in for kicks. But we'll see how many transmissions get wrecked, because i think this is going to be a small portion of people who break them. Its not like the car isnt a supercar without LC, its still brutally fast, and takes out cars wayy above its class, without LC.
    LC not an official feautre... right. That's what you call "covering your ass" because you know you have a subpar product. Nissan claimed that LC allowed for perfect launches every time, and they made it ridiculously easy to enable. Nissan execs like to brag about the launch control feature in interviews, so it's not exactly like they were hiding it.

Maybe Nissan should take out a PDK 911 and try it's launch control out. It'll take a dozen or so consecutive launches, then disable LC and limit the power until the tranny cools down. Repeat as desired, and all without sacrificing your warranty.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Yeah, because BMWs are pieces of shit too.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

So will buyers now demand launch control counts if buying used GT-Rs? Every launch will take $1000 off CBB?
    I partially agree but I think a lot of it is Nissan's fault. The M5 isn't marketed with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, it doesn't need to be. That's not why people buy it so when they're told "You can't use this hidden feature without voiding your warranty" most, if not all, owners are okay with it.

Nissan, on the other hand, have purposely marketed this car as being x fast, faster than y and able to do z. People buy the GT-R because they want those speeds, not the speeds that Nissan forces you to abide to. If Nissan had advertised what the car could do with the VDC turned on and no launch control do you think people would pay $80,000 for it?
    I don't.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's all the bitching like these that let legal departments prohibit nice cars to be in NA.

Look, it's explained before delivery that launch control void warranty and you'll be responsible for a new transmission.

Just like most salesmen warn people about those $200 keys when you lose one.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you buy it and can't afford a new tranny, don't use LC.

All these chatter are from people who won't or can't buy one.

It's all the bitching like these that let legal departments prohibit nice cars to be in NA.

Look, it's explained before delivery that launch control void warranty and you'll be responsible for a new transmission.

Just like most salesmen warn people about those $200 keys when you lose one.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you buy it and can't afford a new tranny, don't use LC.

All these chatter are from people who won't or can't buy one.
    "Hey guys, come buy our car! It offers some really cool features, like launch control which allows you to get perfect launches and beat 997 turbos every time!! but for the love of god, don't ever actually use said feature "

Read the nagtroc thread. If the dealers clearly explained that using LC would result in transmission failure and a voided warranty, would there have to be a thread titled "do not launch your car or turn the VDC off?"
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    GTI

LOL @ Nissan fanboys. Not an "official" feature? WTF is an official feature?

My Ride
    Axis powers

you obviously didn't read the posts that well.. there are a few other people who are in the same situation as him but this is the only story getting publicity.

he also hadn't launched his car for over 2 weeks and the nissan techs pulled a report from the black box confirming this.
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Yeah .. It shouldn't be that hard to "protect"

Nissan can set the car computer to "disable" the LC after few consecutive launches .. and won't let the the drivers use LC untill the gear box cool down ... something like that ..

Again, just like Porsche, you can use the LC .. consecutive .. but up to certain point (or whatever high tempeture) The computer won't let you do it anymore .. and a warning sign will come up .. at that time, all you can do it, drive the car gentle for 15 min or so .. when the warning light is off .. you can use the LC again.

Unless people are using the LC on every stop light, otherwise, the computer wont' disable it, and turn on the warning light.

Why Nissan doesn't do it that way?
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast