Quantcast
Where to get Sandbags for Winter - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to get Sandbags for Winter

Default Where to get Sandbags for Winter

Our family recently bought a new truck. First RWD vehicle we ever had, so no experience on how it is going to behave in the winter. The rear is light, so I would like to get some sandbags before winter hits. Maybe around 300lbs.

I read some other threads that said firestations give them out for free? Last time I was at a firestation to recycle some batteries, I didnt notice any sand. Are there specific ones to go to? And do they give out the bags as well, or just sand? Or if anyone knows other places to get sand for free around the NW, that would be great.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche

I believe they just give out sand for your sidewalk...

just wait til winter is closer..tons of gas-stations have them

My Ride
    93 integra

use old tire tubes fill em with sand and tie the ends up and stick in the truck bed.

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

It's also a good idea if you have the money to get a really good set of all terrain tires, on my 2x4 it's made a big difference.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Gas stations sell them, but you may find them hard to find ... might have to hit up a few stations in a row to get enough to get decent traction. I tend to put about 120# (6 bags) or more in my F150. Most stations will get a skid or more at once, but they go fast.

Residential fire stations in Calgary give out sand in the winter months. You can only take five pounds at a time and have to bring your own container. Here's a link to the fire station locations - click on a given station to find out if they give out sand or not. #17 definitely does.. they're by the University.

Darn, 5lb limit. I was hoping to get 300lbs in one go.

My Ride
    SRT Charger

Having lots of experience driving 1 wheel wonders in the winter. Getting propper snow tires made the most difference, but you'll still want to add balast. Try this: http://www.shurtrax.com/

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

If you don't find sand bags, you can use Water softener salt bags will do the trick too.

My Ride
    66 Accord

co-op wait until it actually starts snowing.. 4.99 a bag if i remember correctly

or the salt will work to until it dissolves those bags are heavy co-ops have them :p

I've also seen people use those concrete slabs used for walkways.

My Ride
    is Invisible

There is still plenty of rocks on the sides of the road from what the lazy sweepers 'missed' to pick up! so bring a shovel and a few sturdy bags, you can have as much as you want for free!

Get bags of rice, then eat them in the summer.... unless you are white? you drive a truck right?

My Ride
    NOYB.

I have also used cinderblocks.. and if you know someone who has a farm, you might score a bale of hay or four (which could be pulled apart and used for direct traction if you get really stuck)..

My Ride
    SRT Charger

There is another word for cinderblocks or bricks that are left in the back of a truck .... PROJECTILES.
    Slam on the brakes hard or get in an accident and watch them fly!

One more thing to be aware of is how (or better yet where) you add the weight will effect how the truck handles. Try to keep the ballast over the rear wheels, if you can't center it over the wheels, forward of the axel is better than behind the axel.
    Excessive weight added behind the axel will make the truck want over rotate going around corners. Keeping it centered or more forward will help keep the the handling more balanced

My Ride
    Axis powers

you do know they don't recommend putting sand bags in the rear of a vehicle..

i posted an article on this last year but in a brief summary, the sand bags and added weight work against you since they move around, if you get into a skid or a sliding position, the weight of the bags will cause more of an issue compared without. the bags will move around and transfer weight to where you don't need it
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Don't bother with that ghetto shit. A long time ago I tried sandbags and they didn't do a thing. They only came in handy when I got a big U-haul truck stuck trying to hop a curb. But that's a whole other story.

Get proper tires and you'll be fine.

My Ride
    AWOL

fill the bed with snow! wheeeee snowball fight!

My Ride
    2008 Evo X GSR

Originally posted by Grogador
    fill the bed with snow! wheeeee snowball fight!
    in theory that would work and it would be a lot of fun, but in reality it's the exact opposite.

In order for you to actually accumulate that much snow, you'd be looking at about 2-3 days of constant snow to fill up the truck bed with snow (that's based on your average 2 car driveway.

Now that wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have the issue of melting thrown into the equation, and I can guarantee you the snow melts a lot quicker in a truck bed than it does on the ground. This means you would have to keep replenishing your truckbed with snow all the time (if at all available at the time).

Finally come sprintime you'll have one helluva mess to clean from the back of the truck as all that snow will have left a nice dirty bed for you. (even if you use fresh snow, it's still dirty)

in all honesty, stick to sand, just make sure your sandbag's tightly tied or else you'll end up with a huge mess of sand in the back of your truck that'll take forever to properly clean out.
    Lurking in a forum near you

You just need to buy some bags at wal-mart and take a drive to a beach. I'm sure they won't mind if you borrow some of their sand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast