Quantcast
Paying for gas on a road trip - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paying for gas on a road trip

My Ride
    2007 G5

Default Paying for gas on a road trip

How would everyone recommend to pay for gas on a road trip besides a amount of litres used gage or figuring out miles per gallon?

Me and my bf say the driver should fill up the tank before he goes with his own money and any top ups along the way and the filling of the tank when back in the home town will be split by everyone. Sure it sucks that he has to fill the tank with his own money to begin with but then he will have a full tank to go on when he gets back into town.

My sister says everyone should pitch in to fill his tank before we go and everyone should pitch in on top ups on the way. When we get back into town the driver is on his own to top up once back into town. This way makes no sense to me!!!
    Colleen

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Step 1 - Car starts full at driver's expense
    Step 2 - Everyone contributes to fuel purchases along the way
    Step 3 - Eveyone contributes to refill tank upon return home
    Step 4 - ????????
    Step 5 - Profit!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Default Re: Paying for gas on a road trip

Driver should have a full tank to start out.

he pays for everything until he's back in town and tops up to full again. Then split the bill evenly between everyone.

So, the first way makes sense. You should always be starting a trip on a full tank... and he's being reimbursed toa full tank again when you get back in town anyways, so no loss to him.

I'm always the driver and the second way is stupid. There's always cheapos that screw over the person who has to drive by doing it this way though. I bet your sister isn't a driver.

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

Default Re: Re: Paying for gas on a road trip

Originally posted by bulaian
    Driver should have a full tank to start out.

he pays for everything until he's back in town and tops up to full again. Then split the bill evenly between everyone.

So, the first way makes sense. You should always be starting a trip on a full tank... and he's being reimbursed toa full tank again when you get back in town anyways, so no loss to him.

I'm always the driver and the second way is stupid. There's always cheapos that screw over the person who has to drive by doing it this way though. I bet your sister isn't a driver.
    I tend to know who the cheapasses are and refuse to road trip with them

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

No road trip unless you do it the first way!

Drivers need compensation!

My Ride
    GSR

How we did it this summer was we pooled in money including driver and when that ran out we pooled in more, worked out pretty well.

My Ride
    2007 G5

I don't even see why she would consider the second way. The first way is so easy! But try explain it to them haha. I'm trying to think of a very easy way to explain it cause they don't understand!
    Colleen

My Ride
    POS

Take a guess on how much money it will take and get the money before leaving. Everyone has to pay up or they won't be coming. If they snicker about how inaccurate it is and they don't want to be ripped off, tell them to take a bus and you'll meet them there. I've always been the driver and it's a PITA to get money after the trip is done because "they used up all their money on the trip" and will promise to pay you back afterwards.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

so the argument is he just doesn't want to pay to fill up his tank? What does he do at the end of the week? First way for sure.
    Originally posted by adamc
    you can pretty much skip over any posts that have no punctuation, as a general rule of thumb.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

One person pays for it , then split the bill when you arrive at destination. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by topmade
    Take a guess on how much money it will take and get the money before leaving. Everyone has to pay up or they won't be coming. If they snicker about how inaccurate it is and they don't want to be ripped off, tell them to take a bus and you'll meet them there. I've always been the driver and it's a PITA to get money after the trip is done because "they used up all their money on the trip" and will promise to pay you back afterwards.
    Me and my friend always go on roadtrips together, we take turns filling up while we're there, then we split the tank 50/50 when we get back.

My Ride
    2007 G5

Their explanation is to fill it up before they leave because that will be the fuel we will be using for the trip.
    I'm not worried about no one paying for gas. It is me, my sister, her fiance, and my bf so no one will get ripped off.
    Colleen

Just explain to them that if it the tank starts full and ends full then they are only paying for the gas used on the trip.

Same deal if it starts empty and ends empty. You can do it their way if you come back to town with an empty tank.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Ass, cash or grass....

No one rides for free...
    ...@therealarifjina...

The driver shouldn't have to pay a single cent for gas... start with a full tank, end with a full tank, and any top ups along the way should be shared by the passengers (assuming a full car... wouldn't be fair if it was just one person you're driving).

No one takes into account the depreciation on the car, especially people who don't drive. Who wants to put 1000+kms on their car and only get reimbursed a share of the gas? Think about it... everyone who's riding along doesn't pay for the wear/tear on the car, the depreciation, new tires, rock chips, etc.

So to be fair, driver shouldn't pay a penny for gas... he's providing the vehicle, everyone else should provide the fuel.

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    Ass, cash or grass....

No one rides for free...
    It's actually Ass, gas, or grass. (in no particular order)

according to the biker jackets I've seen at least.

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    The driver shouldn't have to pay a single cent for gas... start with a full tank, end with a full tank, and any top ups along the way should be shared by the passengers (assuming a full car... wouldn't be fair if it was just one person you're driving).

No one takes into account the depreciation on the car, especially people who don't drive. Who wants to put 1000+kms on their car and only get reimbursed a share of the gas? Think about it... everyone who's riding along doesn't pay for the wear/tear on the car, the depreciation, new tires, rock chips, etc.

So to be fair, driver shouldn't pay a penny for gas... he's providing the vehicle, everyone else should provide the fuel.
    This is what I'm thinking too. Unless they drive a beater or something, the car owner will have to pay for insurance, maintenance and depreciation. That's why unless people are willing to pay for ALL of the gas, I'd rather drive alone and pay for everything rather than let the passengers get on.

The other way to think about it then is the scenario of a car rental. If you rented a car, basically everyone would then split the total bill evenly for the car rental, gas and associated expenses.

When someone is using their own car, for the most part, the gas should be the smaller portion of any associated costs or expenses.

My Ride
    2007 G5

We are just going from Lethbridge to Great Falls (3 hours both ways) for the day. It was their idea and they asked us to come.
    Colleen

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by Super_Geo

Thank you!!

My Ride
    s14

I agree, driver is the one who has to concentrate on the road, he can't just chill in the back seat sleeping/watching movies/ playing psp/ reading a magazine. Hes the one who gets you there and back safely, and if his car breaks down along the way, who is going to help him pay for it? Passengers pay for the gas all the way, and for the fill up after the trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast