Quantcast
120V Garage Heaters..Good enough for the winter? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 120V Garage Heaters..Good enough for the winter?

Default 120V Garage Heaters..Good enough for the winter?

Winter is coming, I was just wondering if anyone has experiences with 120V garage heaters? I have a slightly above average sized double garage and I would like to be able to work on my car in the winter (oil changes, etc...). I rather not have to run a 220V outlet, and I think most 120V outlets max out at 15 amps (1.8kW). So is that enough heat to be able to comfortably work? Any other tips on what I should be looking for? eg. infrared, fan based ...

My Ride
    Audi

Is your garage insulated - minimum R12 on walls and R20 on the ceiling?

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Doesn't matter. a 120v electric heater won't heat your garage.
    I had a 240v contruction heater in mine last year, and while my insulation left something to be desired, it would barely start making a difference after being left on for a few hours.
    I'm running a gas line for a real heater out there this year.

The only way it could conceivably make a difference is if it's on pretty well 24/7, which is quickly going to cost you as much as just doing it properly with a gas heater in the first place.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

1.8KW x 3412 = 6141BTUH at about 15-16 amps. If you keep it close (but not too close to the front of your car there may be enough heat there to allow for easier starting in the morning on cold days. - It is easier and more reliable however to just plug it in.

My guess is that you would need about 20,000 btu for every 500 square feet of floor space.

That said I have no heat in my garage and I set up a portable room heater to blow on me or my feet when I have to do an oil change or minor work under the older cars in the winter. Some heat is better than none but it is by no means 'comfortable'

Ill check later to see what insulation my garage has. It is a typical Jayman built house.

I suppose I dont need it to be comfortable, but just enough to do the occasional maintenance. I thought infrared heaters were more directional
    such that I could just point it towards my work area.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

It won't do shit

When its -20 deg your heater won't even be able to heat the air passing through it.

I had a 10,000w electric heater in my garage for the last 2 years. It worked well but cost .70c an hour to run

I just finished digging up my whole back yard, and putting in a 45,000btu gas fired unit heater

I dreaded doing the job but it is over and well worth it.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by TKRIS
    Doesn't matter. a 120v electric heater won't heat your garage.
    I had a 240v contruction heater in mine last year, and while my insulation left something to be desired, it would barely start making a difference after being left on for a few hours.
    I'm running a gas line for a real heater out there this year.

The only way it could conceivably make a difference is if it's on pretty well 24/7, which is quickly going to cost you as much as just doing it properly with a gas heater in the first place.
    You're right, for some reason I thought he was going to heat his garage 24x7 with that electric unit .

My neighbor across the street is heating his garage with 2 electric floorboard heaters. They're about 6ft long each and going to consume a crapload of $$$$.

I just heated my garage with a Calcana unit, installed it was just about $2000. My other neighbor is getting a forced air unit heater in, about $1100 installed.

In the long run, the NG units will be cheaper to run than an electric unit - even with the increased cost of NG this winter.

Ok yea I just checked. The roof on my garage has insulation (because there is a bonus room right above it), but the sides have nothing. Just want enough heat to be able to do an oil change, should I go for an infrared one or fan based unit?
    Last edited by nobb; 10-17-2008 at 09:21 PM.

just do oil change during days when its not -10 or below, its really chilly and ur heater won't help much. above -10 heater should keep u warm.

My Ride
    your mom

garage is insulated and walled
    220 heats no problem

4800W/240V Portable Construction Heater - Almond
    Dimplex
    Model: DCH4831A
    Internet/Cat #: 901508
    Store SKU #: 116310
    Thermal protection for safety
    160 CFM offers quiet running operation of unit
    6 ft. cord and plug stores around handle
    Stainless steel tubular element
    Heavy duty construction
    Built-in thermostat

$69.95

if you got a 220 plug in ur garage then you got no problem, but most house i've been to, do not have that.

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by punky
    if you got a 220 plug in ur garage then you got no problem, but most house i've been to, do not have that.
    its not rocket science

My Ride
    49cc Honda bicycle/89 Accord SE-i/59 Impala/93shaq

k

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

Originally posted by nobb
    Ok yea I just checked. The roof on my garage has insulation (because there is a bonus room right above it), but the sides have nothing. Just want enough heat to be able to do an oil change, should I go for an infrared one or fan based unit?
    man you guys crack me up.....think about it for like 30 seconds. it is going to cost you more in electricity than just going to kal tire and paying the 20 bux to get an oil change. how are you saving money buy doing your oil changes? unless you have a fetish for oil or something.

btw i didnt count the time you are going to waste by waiting 2 hours untill your garage is warm enough to work on your car.

i have a 60 000 btu rezno heater in my insulated garage and the thing turns on every 2 mins in cold weather. how is your little 110w heaters going to keep your garage warm enough?

Well if you read my post more carefully, I mentioned I only wanted to warm up my work area, not the entire garage. That's why I was asking opinions to see if anyone has experience with the infrared based units, which focus the heat more directionally. I know I wont be able to keep the whole garage at a comfy 20C, but just enough heat to make it a little more bearable is fine with me.

Also, this isnt only for oil changes. There are other things I want to be able to work on as well.

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

well pick a warm day, because if it is below -10 even with infrared heating you are going to find that it is difficult.

if your going to be doing other work as well, what happens when you need to walk to the other side of the garage to get a tool.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by 8Ball
    garage is insulated and walled
    220 heats no problem

4800W/240V Portable Construction Heater - Almond
    Dimplex
    Model: DCH4831A
    Internet/Cat #: 901508
    Store SKU #: 116310
    Thermal protection for safety
    160 CFM offers quiet running operation of unit
    6 ft. cord and plug stores around handle
    Stainless steel tubular element
    Heavy duty construction
    Built-in thermostat

$69.95
    one won't be enough. they don't move enough air.

i built a custom electric heater using 2 dimplex drywall heaters and a 700cfm centrifugal fan. it worked pretty good but not something i felt comfortable setting and forgetting.

Originally posted by Moe Man
    i have a 60 000 btu rezno heater in my insulated garage and the thing turns on every 2 mins in cold weather. how is your little 110w heaters going to keep your garage warm enough?
    its turning on every 2 mins because your heater is WAY too big for your garage. if your btu is too high you loose all your furnace efficiency

still way cheaper then electric heater tho lol
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Wanted to bring back an old thread. Got a single car garage that is 90% insulated (need 16" on the roof and one side left). I want just enough heat so I don't have to take all the paints and motorbike batteries and such inside.

I am more worried about just keeping the garage above freezing. Any chance this is gonna work? I am in a townhouse if that matters.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    boosted awd

Originally posted by Cos
    Wanted to bring back an old thread. Got a single car garage that is 90% insulated (need 16" on the roof and one side left). I want just enough heat so I don't have to take all the paints and motorbike batteries and such inside.

I am more worried about just keeping the garage above freezing. Any chance this is gonna work? I am in a townhouse if that matters.
    110 heater?

something like this?
    http://www.princessauto.com/all-seas...radiant-heater

We got 3 for our garage, its a bigger 2 car garage but they didnt work for jack shit. Only thing it was good for was warming your hands when they were cold as shit. We replaced them with a small house furnace just for the garage haha.. total overkill but its nice to work in a tshirt in middle of winter.

In your case, it might work if you leave them on all the time.. I may still have them in the garage if your interested in them ill give them for dirt cheap..

Originally posted by .norco.

110 heater?

something like this?
    http://www.princessauto.com/all-seas...radiant-heater

We got 3 for our garage, its a bigger 2 car garage but they didnt work for jack shit. Only thing it was good for was warming your hands when they were cold as shit. We replaced them with a small house furnace just for the garage haha.. total overkill but its nice to work in a tshirt in middle of winter.

In your case, it might work if you leave them on all the time.. I may still have them in the garage if your interested in them ill give them for dirt cheap..
    Yeah sorry was thinking a 110 one. Hmmm that makes me a little choked. I just have so much shit in there that will have to be taken into the basement if that is the case.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast