Quantcast
timing belt change caused engine to crank but never start - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: timing belt change caused engine to crank but never start

Default timing belt change caused engine to crank but never start

hey, the car ive got problems is a 1993 1.5 civic, anyway last week i was cruising around and my engine starting overheating and starting smoking. so i pulled over and saw i had no antifreeze, one of the clamps on the hoses broke or something and all the antifreeze leaked out. got it towed home put some antifreeze in and it stared er' up and she had a whining sound coming from the timing belt area, also whenever you drive it after a while it starts to act like its about to stall or as if it out of of gas, no acceleration, starts bumping back and forth. anyway talked to a mechanic, he suggested maybe the problem lay with the water pump, because it was ran dried and maybe a bit seized. so after 5 or so hours we got the timing belt off and the water pump was fine. so we put on a new timing belt on and put her back together. before i continue, i made sure the timing was set properly, compression is good, no spark at plugs too. anyway now after all that the engine cranks but never starts...any ideas?

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Something tells me you timed it wrong. How do you know your water pump is ok? I would have changed it when i had the belt off, as water pumps "weep" when they are toast. Anyways, i would take it all apart and make sure you are TDC with the bottom end, and have your cam at the EXACT mark location. even 1 tooth off can screw you

good luck

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

This sounds more like a distributor problem, I would suggest getting a used one from the wreckers, or buying a reman unit. Its common problem with civics !

My Ride

^^^actually now that i think of it, rick is correct, it just seemed a funny co-incidence that it started acting up after the timing belt change, but i didnt read the post right, the bucking and stuff before could be a distributor problem. What did the timing belt look like when you took it out? any missing teeth or heavy wear, enough to slip maybe?

My Ride
    AWOL

Put distributor back on 180deg out? Did that when I changed the timing belt on my 86 Prelude...

My Ride

^^^it let you put it in 180 degrees out? wierd. Well, i dont know that many hondas, but i know my 86 prelude se engine didnt let me do that, one side of the notch was fatter than the other so you could only put it in one way.

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    ^^^it let you put it in 180 degrees out? wierd. Well, i dont know that many hondas, but i know my 86 prelude se engine didnt let me do that, one side of the notch was fatter than the other so you could only put it in one way.
    Yeah, it was notched, but I'm gifted

My Ride

you are all missing a key factor in his problem description; He has no spark at the plugs.
    Regardless of how his distributor is timed it will still have spark.
    If the ignitor, or the coil is dead then he will have the symptoms he is experiencing now.
    A timing belt change on a honda does not require the removal of the distributor, so it should not matter what position the cam is on so long at it matches the marks for TDC, same goes for the crank.
    Weather or not the engine is on its compression stroke or its exhaust stroke is completely dependent on the cam to crank gearing which is married by the timing belt.

A no start, with a no spark only means ignition trouble, had it been a latter year veh, A cranking no start with no spark could mean a variety of things, such as low Fuel pressure, lack of cam and crank angle sensor sync. Inop TP sensor.etc...etc...
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 10-19-2008 at 08:59 PM.

My Ride
    reebok Jams

well no if he has no spark then the dizzy can be dead, it happened to me. i replaced the dizzy had spark and engine ran. just take dizzy cap off and check for flaws, or stick a screw driver into a spark plug cap and have someone crank the engine while you have the screw driver near a ground and watch for sparks.

RIDES: 94' EH2: Sold, 98' DC4 sold, 93 S13 sold, 93 S14 the lead sled

1992 Honda EG6 SiR for sale!:ONLY! $4900.00Message me for more info!

My Ride

Originally posted by jdm_eg6
    well no if he has no spark then the dizzy can be dead, it happened to me. i replaced the dizzy had spark and engine ran. just take dizzy cap off and check for flaws, or stick a screw driver into a spark plug cap and have someone crank the engine while you have the screw driver near a ground and watch for sparks.
    I don't think you are following either.

The "dizzy" is a term of endearment used by some to refer to the "Distributor" which is were the problem is being isolated to. No spark mean no power from the distributor, those older hondas have the Coil built into the Distributor, you can change just the coil but its better to replace both since the bearings on the distributor assembly don't last very long in those hondas.

hey thanks alot guys, im going to install a new distributor see if that helps. ill post back when its done.

hey finally got around too it, it turned out to be the distributor, whining was power steering pump.

My Ride

My Ride

^^good job rick (=

you>than me