Quantcast
How to deal with difficult neighbour - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with difficult neighbour

Default How to deal with difficult neighbour

We are needing to do some work on the exterior side of my duplex facing the neighbours. In order to reach certain places we need to set up some equipment for a few hrs that goes on the neighbours yard.

He refused and kicked the crew off which I get but how on earth can we finish the work?

Wbat the general contractor should have done is went to the neighbour beforehand and gave them a heads up

My Ride
    '14 Taco

... have you tried to go talk to him and explain whats needed?

otherwise, have you tried fucking his father?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Someone needs to talk to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Left work and went to have a heart to heart with them. They don't want to deal with the general contractor anymore so I'll be the middle man to address any further concerns. Glad that got sorted out

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Whew

What a rollercoaster.
    Thank you for taking us along for the ride.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

How to deal with a difficult neighbour? Sounds like a thread your neighbour should be posting.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    How to deal with a difficult neighbour? Sounds like a thread your neighbour should be posting.
    Some asshat starts setting up equipment on my yard without so much as asking my permission. What a lack of common decency! I'm going to shut this down to teach these losers a lesson.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Some asshat starts setting up equipment on my yard without so much as asking my permission. What a lack of common decency! I'm going to shut this down to teach these losers a lesson.
    This. All day long.

If you built your home in such a way that you need to be on your neighbors property to maintain it, that’s a you problem.

You know access right of ways on private property aren’t free right?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

This. All day long.

If you built your home in such a way that you need to be on your neighbors property to maintain it, that’s a you problem.

While I agree with the sentiment, tons (many, if not most?) of 2-storey homes built inside the city limits might require putting equipment on neighbours lots to get to high-up places. Our last house was a 1976 build on a large lot, but to repair the woodpecker holes on one side, the ladder was tall enough that it had to be placed on my neighbours walkway leading to the back of their house. Of course, we asked them first like normal adults and it was fine, but just saying that you can get everywhere on a house without encroaching on any other property is probably not do-able.

If I knew they were setting for scaffolding then I would have let the neighbour know ahead of time but I was unaware. It would have been two poles set up so not taking any room at all. I do get it but if that was me I wouldn't yell at the trades but that's just me.

- - - Updated - - -

This. All day long.

With the way houses are built nowadays there isn't much room to safely set up scaffolding equipment. But for the hassle I'm paying for a full exterior clean of thier home.

But again, I don't agree how the general contractor just didn't approach them first.
    Last edited by jabjab; 04-02-2024 at 06:03 PM.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    If I knew they were setting for scaffolding then I would have let the neighbour know ahead of time but I was unaware. I
    ---
    I don't agree how the general contractor just didn't approach them first.
    My dude, this one's on you. You should be diligent about the work taking place at your home, and consider the impacts it will have on the surroundings. "I didn't know (and didn't bother to find out)" and pushing your responsibilities onto your contractor are weak ass excuses. Don't cop out, and learn from this one.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    V8s

Ya I’m of the same mind. If someone put any scaffolding in my yard without talking to me first, I’d be pissed.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Do we have a new Mar?!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m having some renovations done right now, first thing I did was text both my neighbours to give them a heads up this will be going on.

It will have 0 effect on either of them as they are interior Reno’s. But it’s a common courtesy to keep likes of communication open.

And I didn’t expect my contractor to do that, that’s on me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    My dude, this one's on you. You should be diligent about the work taking place at your home, and consider the impacts it will have on the surroundings. "I didn't know (and didn't bother to find out)" and pushing your responsibilities onto your contractor are weak ass excuses. Don't cop out, and learn from this one.
    I disagree it being on jabjab. He hired the GC to manage this. The GC should know how any reasonable person would react to some contractor setting up on their lawn. Even the contractor completing the work should know better. We work on others property fairly frequently, and always talk to the owner prior. Even though we aren't required to since we are working within a city ownerd ROW. Now, when jab was made aware, he did the correct thing and went to discuss with the home owner.

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    I always ask for updates from the general contractor and they fail to provide them to me. I go to the site everyday after work to document what's going on due to the lack of communication.

From my understanding they were pouring garage slab, no mention of setting up scaffolding. Not sure what more I could have done to prevent this. I left work to fix the situation with success and now the neighbours would like to deal with me instead of the general contractor.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m having some renovations done right now, first thing I did was text both my neighbours to give them a heads up this will be going on.

It will have 0 effect on either of them as they are interior Reno’s. But it’s a common courtesy to keep likes of communication open.

And I didn’t expect my contractor to do that, that’s on me.
    I don't live there yet so it's hard for me to know what is going on day by day even tho I ask for updates. If I would have known ahead of time I would have knocked on their door with a gift card to a restaurant just cause

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    I disagree it being on jabjab. He hired the GC to manage this. The GC should know how any reasonable person would react to some contractor setting up on their lawn. Even the contractor completing the work should know better. We work on others property fairly frequently, and always talk to the owner prior. Even though we aren't required to since we are working within a city ownerd ROW. Now, when jab was made aware, he did the correct thing and went to discuss with the home owner.
    Yeah I agree with this, a homeowner hires the GC to run the job and the GC should be fully aware they need to consult with the owners of any property they're going to infringe on. At the very least they should have let jab know well in advance so he could clear it with the neighbour. Realistically, should your average homeowner be expected to innately understand how a contractor is going to set up scaffolding?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

A rare instance where both sides are right:

Jab lets the neighbour know they need access to their side when made aware that was the case, GC is getting paid to GC and should be responsible for logistics.

All in all, this sounds more like classic GC crap leadership where people are flying by the seat of their pants and don't actually have any managerial skills or foresight to organize a project, yet charge 25% overhead for their service.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    A rare instance where both sides are right:

Jab lets the neighbour know they need access to their side when made aware that was the case, GC is getting paid to GC and should be responsible for logistics.

All in all, this sounds more like classic GC crap leadership where people are flying by the seat of their pants and don't actually have any managerial skills or foresight to organize a project, yet charge 25% overhead for their service.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I've told my fiance that they fly by the seat of their pants. I told them to clear up the bottom of the walkout of all the spare wood and junk for city inspection and they didn't do it. Surely enough, city inspector said they need to have this more livable and cleaned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast