Quantcast
R1 & R6 - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: R1 & R6

My Ride
    gtr, 07 rr 600

Originally posted by boi-alien
    R1 = death on wheels.... that's all u gotta know

the R1 is a 1000 cc engine on a 600 cc chasis.... R1 & R6 look the same... cause they have the same chasis... R1 will kill u... R6 won't

no. an R1 is yamahas version of a full size 1000cc crotchrocket. the r6 is the 600cc version.they don't have the same chassis. modern r1s are quite anemic on the bottom end, and so not so "deadly" as you might think. if you are not a retard, slightly easier to ride than the 600. the problem with literbikes is you can get carried away too easily and wind up going way faster than you think, but its not like the bike will just flip over on you. if you are worried that an r1 is a death machine compared to the r6, don't buy a rocket. either one is way way too fast for the street at full throttle. buy the r6, it costs less, and you'll cry less when you crash it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/nathantheman/Dave_Chappelle.jpg?t=1169741316
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/nathantheman/ef_4.jpg?t=1169741811

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

Originally posted by boi-alien
    R1 = death on wheels.... that's all u gotta know

the R1 is a 1000 cc engine on a 600 cc chasis.... R1 & R6 look the same... cause they have the same chasis... R1 will kill u... R6 won't
    ^^^ any bike can kill ya. even 50cc dirtbikes if you ride like a retard. ok well maybe the 50cc wont kill as often cuz but its gonna hurt like a bitch when you bail

Originally posted by Spoons
    Plain and simple,
    You will never be able to push a 600 to its limits, so why go with something even more? I believe that there is actually no real reason to go with 1000 unless its a race bike, or you weigh a considerable amount.

Don't be dumb, and just go with a 600.
    ^^^ especially nowadays the 600s are built pretty well and are just different beasts from the old 600s. ive seen experienced riders beat busas, and 1000s on a track, they get eaten alive on long straights but damn you go into a corner and they are right back in front.

Originally posted by Spoons
    Plain and simple again,
    and basically just stating the obvious point everywhere in this post.

BIKES DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. In many cases, I'm going to say that you can get yourself out of messes that no person could in a car. Bikes are agile, fast, and can stop on the proverbial dime. The fast part can get you into trouble, but in a lot of the times, you're going to use all that to get you safe.

Again, BIKES DO NOT KILL PEOPLE, the rider does! You look at how many bike accidents there are. Mind you I'm going to say that there are not a crap load of motorcycle helmets, but we always hear about them because, well a lot of times they end up bad. Anyways, my point being though is that you look at a majority of the crashes on a motorcycle, and you'll see that a lot of them happen when the person is driving way to fast, and in an unsafe manner. You drive safe, and know the rules of the road, and TAKE THE SAFETY COURSE, you should be riding for the rest of your life.

you can start out with the 1400 bikes if you want, ride safe and smart, and you'll be fine. ride like a idiot and a 600 bike could kill. people buy 600 bikes and think they are safer than 1000s and they start riding like idiots. i call it natural selection. others just call it stupidity

My Ride
    05 GSXR600

another thread to yet again prove the stupidity of the typical beyonder...

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by nathantheman

no. an R1 is yamahas version of a full size 1000cc crotchrocket. the r6 is the 600cc version.they don't have the same chassis. .
    First person here to get it right, they DONT have the same chassis. The rotating mass between the two is significant. a 750 sharing the same frame as a 900/600 is possible, with some tweeks, but 600 and a 1000? no way. Maybe a LONG time ago (pre-deltabox days) before the technology grew into even a fraction of what it is today.

ever since the late 1980's (with the introduction of the Deltabox concept) the engine has been used in the manner of stiffening the chassis.. so: SO much depends on the rotating mass of the engine, and how it inter-relates to the rest of the bike... being the rigidarity of the frame and suspension geometry... as a couple examples. I dont think any manufacterer is that stupid to have a "one size fits all" mentality in terms of extreme performance sport bikes.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-31-2007 at 07:35 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Grip172
    another thread to yet again prove the stupidity of the typical beyonder...
    Don't know what that's supposed to mean. Guy asked us for help on choosing a bike, and all I see is him getting some help. There is a bit of discretion between some posts, but most of them all are solid points/opinions.

My Ride
    2005 F350

his point is that an R1 is NOT a learning bike and the R6 is debatable...

any monkey and learn how to survive on a motorcycle. if you want to learn how to ride, these bikes are not the best things to learn on.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    2007 Benelli TNT Sport

Quite simply both are awesome bikes but to suggest either one is a good choice for a beginner is irresponsible at best.
    These are not bikes for a novice. Can a beginner start on one and not get into trouble, of course it's done all the time. It's just not the best or safest way to start.

Both of these bikes will handle all that the most experience rider can though at them.

There is not a bike on the market that can be riden near it's potential on the street, at least nothing over 600cc's.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by 8Ball

and to a certain extent a 1000cc bike is safer than a 600... if you need the power to move out of the way in city riding. Which happens all the time.

you can argue all day long.... but what it all comes down too is the RIDER.
    that is the worst excuse to get a big bike I have ever heard

for the OP I have ordered my new R6S and am picking it up on may 4, and have been riding for 4 years. This is the most excited I have been to get a bike.

I have never been in a shitty situation on a bike where I went, oh shit only way out of this is to pin it, and then realized that if I had a 600 I would have been dead
    Cos...

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

Default Re: R1 & R6

Originally posted by RSeXy
    I know the R1 is the better of the two...but what are the differences? (ie. HP, wieght, mileage, price, etc) ...i'm too lazy to look this stuff up..plus i get it in layman's terms here.

IMO.

A $1500, 500cc or smaller is the best bike.

You'll sell it 2 months later when you get sick of it for the same price you paid, but the lessons learned will save your life.

Dump the clutch on a 50hp bike you can still hurt yourself, and hopefully learn your lesson. Imagine a 120hp - 180 hp bike.

THERE IS A 75% YOU WILL DROP YOUR BIKE IN YOUR FIRST YEAR OF RIDING.

I dropped my bike 2 days after getting it...thank God it was $1200. (1984 Honda CB450, and hit some loose gravel DT)

My Ride
    2007 Benelli TNT Sport

Best advice for a beginner is to buy a very used dirt bike and go play with it.
    A 125cc dirt bike will teach you more about balance and control than any M/C safety course or riding a streetbike in everyday conditions.

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by brendankharris

for the OP I have ordered my new R6S and am picking it up on may 4, and have been riding for 4 years. This is the most excited I have been to get a bike.

I have never been in a shitty situation on a bike where I went, oh shit only way out of this is to pin it, and then realized that if I had a 600 I would have been dead
    then you havent been riding long enough.

My Ride

X2, even a Yamaha Exciter 250 has enough power to merge easily. An EX500/Honda Shadow 500 has MORE then enough power to rocket around on city streets.

Sometimes when a high speed wobble occurs (usually when your pushing the bike up to its limits.. typically at high speeds) its great to "get on the throttle" and ride it out, which can help LOTS... but I agree "gassing it" is never a smart idea. (but in the case of maxing out the bike, is it really the bikes fault? or the driver asking too much from a bike that wasn't designed/set-up for such driving?
    Its almost a smart idea to take your bike to the track and learn what it can do (as well as what you can do) in a closed environment so nobody gets seriously hurt if you low/high side it etc. I used to have a 1991 YSR80 that I took to the track and really gave it. There I learned "SO MUCH" of what to do and what not to do... in terms of finding out yoru braking threshold and rider position in turns and so on.
    But I'd probably even further that and say whenever a person (including myself) gets a new bike, they should take it to the track and see exactly what it can do: and how the bike "likes" to be ridden. Everybike(/design of tires or suspension etc) has a driving style that should be taken note of. I noticed when people adhere to that, a person can really become a competitive racer or a safe driver.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    [B] X2, even a Yamaha Exciter 250 has enough power to merge easily. An EX500/Honda Shadow 500 has MORE then enough power to rocket around on city streets.
    meh... what do i know... I own 6's & 1k's in the garage.

When I ride on the street it is constant defensive maneuvers... take it for what its worth.

the best place to learn is on a dirtbike.

Well I've been on the side for a 600cc the whole time. Heck for a learners bike, get a 500cc, thats what I started on. I don't know why people desire a 1000cc bike? A 600cc will do you fine.

My Ride
    04 G35 Coupe 07 Yamaha R1 08 GSXR 600

and to a certain extent a 1000cc bike is safer than a 600... if you need the power to move out of the way in city riding. Which happens all the time.

you can argue all day long.... but what it all comes down too is the RIDER.
    hahaha, did you think up that retarded response yourself or did someone help you with it?!

It's all about defensive driving and predicting what cars are going to do.

I don't know if you're aware of this but bikes can turn pretty quick.................

My Ride

^ just keep a good two second following distance and signal when making a change and I think that'll make (almost) a world of difference in terms of safety..... The biggest tip I used to give to new riders was to keep your distance, that buys time in terms of collision avoidance, and avoiding shit that falls off trucks on deerfoot (etc) .

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ just keep a good two second following distance and signal when making a change and I think that'll make (almost) a world of difference in terms of safety..... The biggest tip I used to give to new riders was to keep your distance, that buys time in terms of collision avoidance, and avoiding shit that falls off trucks on deerfoot (etc) .
    you guys are starting to get my point without realizing it

the larger cc engine will respond to rider input that much quicker.

especially when you 2 gears higher than you should be.

My Ride

So the bike will make up for you being a shitty rider, is that what I'm understanding then?!

There is more to riding a bike than twisting your wrist.

My Ride
    Acura TL 6MT SH-AWD

I highly recommend this site for you.

http://www.canlaw.com/legalforms/legalwill.htm

My Ride

^^

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast