Quantcast
R1 & R6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: R1 & R6

Default R1 & R6

I know the R1 is the better of the two...but what are the differences? (ie. HP, wieght, mileage, price, etc) ...i'm too lazy to look this stuff up..plus i get it in layman's terms here.

Originally posted by ashee
    What's 30 grand when you're buying a BMW, M6 please.

Originally posted by t-im

You sound like the type of guy who would buy a C-Class just so you could tell people you have a Benz.
    Oooh the irony.

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

R1 = death on wheels.... that's all u gotta know

the R1 is a 1000 cc engine on a 600 cc chasis.... R1 & R6 look the same... cause they have the same chasis... R1 will kill u... R6 won't

i find it funny how everyone says the R1 is too much for first bike. i got a chance to test ride a friends R1 and it was not hard to handle.... just don't do stupid shit and take it easy until you get to know the bike. i say get the R1 and take it easy, that way you don't have to upgrade later if you want a faster bike.

My Ride
    money-pit

man once you get a bike, in this case an r6... and then you get good at riding it responsibly..youll want an r1.

i have a couple fo friends who have gottin r1's and yet people were telling them its too much for a first bike.....and now they dont regret it at all and are glad they got the r1 instead of listening to other people.....

get the r1!
    or gsxr 750...
    No and Im not like them....

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

The R6 is a nice bike...very good to start on IMO...

Heres my friends in Vancouver...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Travel

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

R6
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Travel

My Ride
    purdy blue car

(All comments regarding the 2002 models)

Major HP differences (about 100 for the R6 vs. 140 for the R1)

Major Torque differences (about 47 for the R6 vs. 79 for the R1)

Very similar weight

The R6 is easier handling and quicker steering

The R6 has been criticized as having a rather clunky gearbox.

The R1 is way quicker in a straight line, and you don't need to rev the shit out of it to go quick.

Throttles aren't digital - you don't have to crack it WFO all the time, so it's not going to be a problem to have the R1 as a first bike. It's just as easy to pizza yourself on either of them, but if you work on your skills, either would be fun.

Take a test drive on both, and see what you like best. Definitely try a number of bikes before popping down your cash - you may like something completely different. They're ALL way quicker than 99.9% of the cars you'll come across, so you may be more than happy with the power of a 600 - particularily if you're light.

I'd take the Gixxer liter-bike over all of them, but that's just me.

As a half-way point, you may want to take a look at the Gixxer 750 as well - a great blend of power and handling (about 125 hp / 60 ft-lbs), and probably the best all-around sport bike on the market right now.
    Last edited by Fat Dave; 08-12-2002 at 11:47 AM.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

My Ride
    money-pit

thats what im tryin to tell everyone..gsxr750..all the way
    No and Im not like them....

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    i find it funny how everyone says the R1 is too much for first bike. i got a chance to test ride a friends R1 and it was not hard to handle.... just don't do stupid shit and take it easy until you get to know the bike. i say get the R1 and take it easy, that way you don't have to upgrade later if you want a faster bike.
    if the power is there, you'll wanna use it... and probably kill yourself in the process

Originally posted by Strider

if the power is there, you'll wanna use it... and probably kill yourself in the process
    lol. you make a very good point. but i'm sure if you try hard enough you can contain yourself

Whoever said the weights are similar is very wrong. On the new ones, stock, the weight difference is 16 kilos. Thats about 35lbs. With that, an r6 can not only out corner an r1, it can also outbreak one.

Im just looking at stats, never riddin the r1 but from experience i know that even a 250 can put you on your ass. Ever riddin a 250 2 stroke? At first theyre pretty damn hard to control, for a first time rider theres no way the r1 is suitable.

The r1 has the addition of speed, but really how many people really push the bike to the limit? Maybe 1% of the bikers out there? We're not all practicing daily on tracks. Also theres the insurance factor, especially in Canada insurance is a b*t*h.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I went from a 6 wanting a 1000 then I had one and now wish I had my 6 back

6's (typically) are lighter and easier to handle, i went from a 600RR to a VTR1000F which was a huge difference in riding style

personally you dont need a 1000 a 6 is more than enough
    Cos...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by brendankharris
    I went from a 6 wanting a 1000 then I had one and now wish I had my 6 back

6's (typically) are lighter and easier to handle, i went from a 600RR to a VTR1000F which was a huge difference in riding style

personally you dont need a 1000 a 6 is more than enough
    The VTR is a totally different kind of bike than the 600RR. Power delivery of a V-twin does not compare to a 600 or even a litre 4-cylinder.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by benyl

The VTR is a totally different kind of bike than the 600RR. Power delivery of a V-twin does not compare to a 600 or even a litre 4-cylinder.
    I know, never said it didnt.

but i still like 6's, rode a buddies gixxer 1000 and its not that amazing for the extra cash
    Cos...

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Even if you can handle the R1, doesn't mean you should get it The R6 is ***IDIOTICALLY FAST*** and definately overkill for any person that plans on keeping his license for more then two months Like you can double the speedlimit on deerfoot, merely in the time span of a few seconds.... without the bike even coming anywhere NEAR close to trying. Did I mention thats all with the R6?
    The R1? Good God... why even bother
    At least with the R6 there will be cheaper insurance, fewer pit stops for gas (and less gas at that) as well a less of a chance at doing something stupid while your on it.
    My vote goes 100% in favor of the R6. You wont grow tired of it, trust me.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Schwinn 21 speed....

Its not all about the dry weight of the bike either. They may have a seemingly small weight difference but a 1 liter super sport bike is much less maneuverable because of the gyroscopic effect of the larger engine. A 1000cc bike is NOT a starter bike, they are for extremely experienced riders. I currently have a 2k6 GSXR600 and most people will even say thats too much for a first bike. If you must have a supersport bike buy it used as you will most likely dump it and wear all gear all the time(AGAT) and respect their power a newer 600 has over 100hp and will outrun almost any car on the streets.

My Ride
    Cbr600F3, Dodge Colt 90hp!

Originally posted by boi-alien
    R1 = death on wheels.... that's all u gotta know

the R1 is a 1000 cc engine on a 600 cc chasis.... R1 & R6 look the same... cause they have the same chasis... R1 will kill u... R6 won't
    Any bike can kill you even 250 cc...If you have no faking respect..Riding like an idiot on the street...and you should know R1 dont do shit after 7000 RPM Oh yeah forgot to remind you 1 guy got kill on the R6 last summer..
    Last edited by Fusion; 03-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Originally posted by Fusion

Any bike can kill you even 250 cc...If you have no faking respect..Riding like an idiot on the street...and you should know R1 dont do shit after 7000 RPM
    haha, thats where most of the powerband is 7000-14000 rpm

why get a Jap bike like everyone else?

My old Gixxer have more low end than the new R1..so my friend 03 Gixxer 1000..same thing cant keep the front down ahahha

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast