Quantcast
What We Could Have Done... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What We Could Have Done...

My Ride
    MB C63

Default What We Could Have Done...

So I was just surfing around a few sites I visit regularly and came upon this. After reading just the first paragraph I was speechless...just look for yourself and tell me what you can say about this...

When the Sunday morning political pundits began talking last year about the tab for the war in Iraq hitting $1 trillion, Rob Simpson sprang from his sofa in indignation.

"Why aren't people outraged about this? Why aren't we hearing about it?" Simpson said. And then it came to him: "Nobody knows what a trillion dollars is."

The amount — $1,000,000,000,000 — was just too big to comprehend.

So Simpson, 51, decided to embark "on an unusual but intriguing research project" to put the dollars and cents of the war into perspective. He hired some assistants and spent 12 months immersed in economic data and crunching numbers.

The result: a slim but heavily annotated paperback released, "What We Could Have Done With the Money: 50 Ways to Spend the Trillion Dollars We've Spent on Iraq."

Simpson is no geopolitical, macro-economic, inside-the-Beltway expert. He's an armchair analyst and creative director for an advertising agency, a former radio announcer and music critic in Ontario and a one-time voiceover actor.

His alternative spending choices reflect his curiosity and wit.

He calculates $1 trillion could pave the entire U.S. interstate highway system with gold — 23.5-karat gold leaf. It could buy every person on the planet an iPod. It could give every high school student in the United States a free college education. It could pay off every American's credit card. It could buy a Buick for every senior citizen still driving in the United States.

"As I started exploring, I was really taken aback by some of the things that can be done, both the absurd and the practical," Simpson said.

America could the double the 663,000 cops on the beat for 32 years. It could buy 16.6 million Habitat for Humanity houses, enough for 43 million Americans.

Now imagine investing that $1 trillion in the stock market — perhaps a riskier proposition today than when Simpson finished the book — to make it grow and last longer. He used an accepted long-term return on investment of 9 percent annually, with compounding interest.

The investment approach could pay for 1.9 million additional teachers for America's classrooms, retrain 4 million workers a year or lay a foundation for paying Social Security benefits in 65 years to every child born in the United States, beginning today.

It's too recent to make Simpson's list, but that $1 trillion could also have paid for the Bush administration's financial bailout plan, with $300 billion to spare. It might not be enough, however, to pay for the war in Iraq. Nobel Laureate Joseph Stiglitz has recently upped his estimate of the war's cost to $3 trillion.

Simpson created a Web site companion to his book that lets you go virtual shopping with a $1 trillion credit card. Choices range from buying sports franchises to theme parks, from helping disabled veterans to polar bears.

Click on Air Force One, the president's $325 million airplane. The program asks: "Quantity?"

"At one point we couldn't find anybody who actually stuck with it long enough to spend $1 trillion," Simpson said. "It will wear you out."
    A link to the site where by you can go shopping with a trillion dollars. You can buy the whole world a can of Coke and it doesnt even make a dent to your account!

Spend Away

Military industrial complex. /discussion

BUT THEY ARE SAFER NOW!!!1

lol took me 10 mins to spend all that money...but it was a struggle...couldn't believe just how much stuff you could buy for that amount of money...such a waste of money...but I think I'll go console myself with the 1000 bentleys I bought on my own island...in my own theme park...that I flew to on my air force one...all while feeding thousands of people....with coke...
    Originally posted by xLostx
    I like getting random texts, some guy kept texting me calling me his girl and baby, i told him that i have aids and he should get tested. he no longer texts me
    Originally posted by dimi

I'm a grammar paramedic, unlike those assholes from the grammar police.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I had like 1000 race tracks or something and 999 mansions

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

The thing is if the government wouldn't have wasted the money on this war, they would of just wasted it on some other useless bullshit. Wasting money is what governments do best, it would seem. Still interesting to see what that kind of dough can actually buy.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    The thing is if the government wouldn't have wasted the money on this war, they would of just wasted it on some other useless bullshit. Wasting money is what governments do best, it would seem. Still interesting to see what that kind of dough can actually buy.
    Quite right, and coupled with the fact people fell powerless to do anything about it is the reason I believe that noone is voting!

My Ride
    CRF 250L

From teh 1 Trillion:
    700 Billion for Universal Health Care for every American
    10 Billion for better regulatory control of the financial markets thus avoiding the financial meltdown
    290 Billion for investment in alternative energy and switching vehicles over to natural gas.

wham bam boom
    - energy crisis solved
    - financial crisis solved
    - economy boosted from alternative energy investment
    - Dependency on foreign oil reduced
    - Health Care for all.... Wait that's communist lets go bomb someone
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

for a trillion they could have nuked the country, then pay off people to not be mad

How much did this guy spend to hire his assistants and pay them for the 12 months? Of course its a small number compared to the trillon dollars, but that money could be given to charity and not wasted on a website that will change nothing.

Originally posted by 06civic
    How much did this guy spend to hire his assistants and pay them for the 12 months? Of course its a small number compared to the trillon dollars, but that money could be given to charity and not wasted on a website that will change nothing.
    the difference being he spent his own money for that...
    the governement spent other people's money.

if it is your money spend how you want...if it is the people's money I think they should have say in it and choice of what is done with it

My Ride
    You Crazy

I was gonna say... 1 trillion? Is the article a joke?

Then at the end it notes the estimate is closer to $3 trillion, which is a much better estimate.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Toma

Then at the end it notes the estimate is closer to $3 trillion, which is a much better estimate.
    State your qualified and unbiased source please

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by rmk
    BUT THEY ARE SAFER NOW!!!1
    Haha exactly. SO much safer...
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

so much money.... that's insane. I got tired of spending... I got down to 86 billion and just gave up.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

i like the how much they have spent while you have been on this site

My Ride
    01 BB6 :(

Originally posted by Toma

BS
    state your source

Originally posted by CUG
    State your qualified and unbiased source please
    Originally posted by Casa

BS
    state your source
    Cost to date:
    ~$600 Billion
    ~$600 Billion

Also, you have to keep in mind that the war is being funded with borrowed money that the US will have to pay interest on...

Stiglitz's full quote:
    "The figure we arrive at is more than $3 trillion. Our calculations are based on conservative assumptions. They are conceptually simple, even if occasionally technically complicated. A $3 trillion figure for the total cost strikes us as judicious, and probably errs on the low side. Needless to say, this number represents the cost only to the United States. It does not reflect the enormous cost to the rest of the world, or to Iraq."

Washington Post - $3 Trillion
    Vanity Fair - $3 Trillion
    Christian Science Monitor - $2+ Trillion

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by 06civic
    The whole point of it was to educate people in realizing alternatives (as he said practical or not). Who are you to say it will do nothing? The gears might start turning in citizen's minds and you never know, people could speak up.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers

The whole point of it was to educate people in realizing alternatives (as he said practical or not). Who are you to say it will do nothing? The gears might start turning in citizen's minds and you never know, people could speak up.
    No man...Anthrax and pen bombs and shit! That money needs to be spent!
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast