Quantcast
Speaker box inside spare tire well - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speaker box inside spare tire well

Default Speaker box inside spare tire well

I'm thinking about putting a box inside my spare tire well. I have a 98 Prelude and i'm planning on putting a 12" sub where my spare tire currently sits. How does a person go about figuring out the volume/size of the box?

Thanks

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

mine was done by audio concepts
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

tape measure how deep and how wide the spare tire compartment is...

Originally posted by jaylo
    tape measure how deep and how wide the spare tire compartment is...
    ummm yeah, but how would i figure out the volume of the box?

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

you mean the actual volume you need? Or just any volume?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by 5gluder

ummm yeah, but how would i figure out the volume of the box?
    Are you making a rectangular box and fitting it into the tire well?? If so, length * width * height (of box internals) all divided by 1728. Don't forget to subtract the speaker displacement if you're trying to get an accurate internal volume of the box with the speaker installed...

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Are you making a rectangular box and fitting it into the tire well?? If so, length * width * height (of box internals) all divided by 1728. Don't forget to subtract the speaker displacement if you're trying to get an accurate internal volume of the box with the speaker installed...
    Thanks, but i'm actually thinking of making a box that would contour the inside of the tire well.

Originally posted by jaylo
    you mean the actual volume you need? Or just any volume?
    I need to know how to figure out the volume of box i plan to build, since it's not a perfect box i need to know how to go about figuring out it's volume.
    Last edited by 5gluder; 08-12-2002 at 09:59 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

If that's the case, I think it could be:

(pi * radius^2 * height)/1728

I *think* that's it, but don't quote me on it

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Do the demensions actually matter *that* much? I bought the car after the install was done, but on my Passat the wheel well was used for a 15"Sub inclosure and im pretty sure it wasnt perfectly symetrical, it was off center alot, and the amp took up some of the space.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by James
    Do the demensions actually matter *that* much? I bought the car after the install was done, but on my Passat the wheel well was used for a 15"Sub inclosure and im pretty sure it wasnt perfectly symetrical, it was off center alot, and the amp took up some of the space.
    As far as I know, they don't. It's the internal volume of the box that matters.

I need to know how to figure out the volume of box i plan to build, since it's not a perfect box i need to know how to go about figuring out it's volume.
    if you buy jl audio subs you can put em pretty much anywhere and they'll sound really good, id definatly reccomend them for in the spare tire well a couple of guys at a&b sound had them fiberglassed in there and sounded 2 times better than any other sub installed in the well

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

ok first off are you talking fiberglass or wood? i have never heard of anyone using wood, mabey i dont open my ears enough

if you want to see a fiberglass box i could show you either of my cars. ones a single 12" and the other is 2-10"
    A$$

Originally posted by TomTom
    ok first off are you talking fiberglass or wood? i have never heard of anyone using wood, mabey i dont open my ears enough

if you want to see a fiberglass box i could show you either of my cars. ones a single 12" and the other is 2-10"
    I thinking of using MDF board. I have no real idea of the designs on these boxes. I'm looking for some insight as to weather i can do this myself. I assumed that a person can use either fiberglass or wood, but i only assumed.

On the RSX Type-S, they have a Bose sub in the wheel well. Too bad it isnt that good of an sub.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    2011 BMW X5 5.0

Default Re: Speaker box inside spare tire well

There is a really easy way to find out the volume of your tirewell. I had to do it in one of my previous cars when I had the fiberglass box done.

Just get those popcorn stuffing (the ones you find from shipping packages) and fill your tirewell with that. You can choose to use real popcorn if you're REALLY hungry!

Once you have done that, remove all of the popcorn and measure with something with measurement such as a blender or something. The easiest thing to use is a box that's 1 ft cube, possibly made out of cardboard.

Hope this helps!

I'm thinking about putting a box inside my spare tire well. I have a 98 Prelude and i'm planning on putting a 12" sub where my spare tire currently sits. How does a person go about figuring out the volume/size of the box?

Thanks
    Last edited by OMOYYC; 08-13-2002 at 11:43 PM.

My Ride
    RSX Type S

I have 2 10` JL`s in my spare tire compartment in my S -- the install looks great and its nice to have a hatch again... I had it all installed so I couldn`t tell you alot other than the security is great with the back seats down with nothing to see in the hatch....
    RSX Type S driven by
    The Pizza Guy

Default Re: Re: Speaker box inside spare tire well

Originally posted by Cwave
    There is a really easy way to find out the volume of your tirewell. I had to do it in one of my previous cars when I had the fiberglass box done.

Just get those popcorn stuffing (the ones you find from shipping packages) and fill your tirewell with that. You can choose to use real popcorn if you're REALLY hungry!

Once you have done that, remove all of the popcorn and measure with something with measurement such as a blender or something. The easiest thing to use is a box that's 1 ft cube, possibly made out of cardboard.

Hope this helps!

Thanks that's a really good idea

It really isn't that hard to do. Here's a site that helped me out, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7165/how_to_1.htm

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

I just bought some fiberglass and fiberglass resin and im gonna give a custom sub enclosure a shot, im still trying to come up with something that will look cool hehe...Ill keep u guys updated on how it goes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast