Quantcast
Speaker box inside spare tire well - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Speaker box inside spare tire well

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Speaker box inside spare tire well

    I'm thinking about putting a box inside my spare tire well. I have a 98 Prelude and i'm planning on putting a 12" sub where my spare tire currently sits. How does a person go about figuring out the volume/size of the box?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The White Ghetto
    My Ride
    Altima Se-R
    Posts
    2,288
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    mine was done by audio concepts
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    tape measure how deep and how wide the spare tire compartment is...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally posted by jaylo
    tape measure how deep and how wide the spare tire compartment is...
    ummm yeah, but how would i figure out the volume of the box?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Posts
    1,586
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    you mean the actual volume you need? Or just any volume?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,738
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Originally posted by 5gluder


    ummm yeah, but how would i figure out the volume of the box?
    Are you making a rectangular box and fitting it into the tire well?? If so, length * width * height (of box internals) all divided by 1728. Don't forget to subtract the speaker displacement if you're trying to get an accurate internal volume of the box with the speaker installed...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally posted by D'z Nutz


    Are you making a rectangular box and fitting it into the tire well?? If so, length * width * height (of box internals) all divided by 1728. Don't forget to subtract the speaker displacement if you're trying to get an accurate internal volume of the box with the speaker installed...
    Thanks, but i'm actually thinking of making a box that would contour the inside of the tire well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally posted by jaylo
    you mean the actual volume you need? Or just any volume?
    I need to know how to figure out the volume of box i plan to build, since it's not a perfect box i need to know how to go about figuring out it's volume.
    Last edited by 5gluder; 08-12-2002 at 09:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,738
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    If that's the case, I think it could be:

    (pi * radius^2 * height)/1728

    I *think* that's it, but don't quote me on it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy
    Posts
    1,629
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Do the demensions actually matter *that* much? I bought the car after the install was done, but on my Passat the wheel well was used for a 15"Sub inclosure and im pretty sure it wasnt perfectly symetrical, it was off center alot, and the amp took up some of the space.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,738
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Originally posted by James
    Do the demensions actually matter *that* much? I bought the car after the install was done, but on my Passat the wheel well was used for a 15"Sub inclosure and im pretty sure it wasnt perfectly symetrical, it was off center alot, and the amp took up some of the space.
    As far as I know, they don't. It's the internal volume of the box that matters.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    CA/AB
    Posts
    1,818
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by 5gluder


    I need to know how to figure out the volume of box i plan to build, since it's not a perfect box i need to know how to go about figuring out it's volume.
    if you buy jl audio subs you can put em pretty much anywhere and they'll sound really good, id definatly reccomend them for in the spare tire well a couple of guys at a&b sound had them fiberglassed in there and sounded 2 times better than any other sub installed in the well

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder
    Posts
    461
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ok first off are you talking fiberglass or wood? i have never heard of anyone using wood, mabey i dont open my ears enough

    if you want to see a fiberglass box i could show you either of my cars. ones a single 12" and the other is 2-10"
    A$$

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally posted by TomTom
    ok first off are you talking fiberglass or wood? i have never heard of anyone using wood, mabey i dont open my ears enough

    if you want to see a fiberglass box i could show you either of my cars. ones a single 12" and the other is 2-10"
    I thinking of using MDF board. I have no real idea of the designs on these boxes. I'm looking for some insight as to weather i can do this myself. I assumed that a person can use either fiberglass or wood, but i only assumed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    740
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    On the RSX Type-S, they have a Bose sub in the wheel well. Too bad it isnt that good of an sub.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2011 BMW X5 5.0
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Speaker box inside spare tire well

    There is a really easy way to find out the volume of your tirewell. I had to do it in one of my previous cars when I had the fiberglass box done.

    Just get those popcorn stuffing (the ones you find from shipping packages) and fill your tirewell with that. You can choose to use real popcorn if you're REALLY hungry!

    Once you have done that, remove all of the popcorn and measure with something with measurement such as a blender or something. The easiest thing to use is a box that's 1 ft cube, possibly made out of cardboard.

    Hope this helps!

    Originally posted by 5gluder
    I'm thinking about putting a box inside my spare tire well. I have a 98 Prelude and i'm planning on putting a 12" sub where my spare tire currently sits. How does a person go about figuring out the volume/size of the box?

    Thanks
    Last edited by OMOYYC; 08-13-2002 at 11:43 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    RSX Type S
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have 2 10` JL`s in my spare tire compartment in my S -- the install looks great and its nice to have a hatch again... I had it all installed so I couldn`t tell you alot other than the security is great with the back seats down with nothing to see in the hatch....
    RSX Type S driven by
    The Pizza Guy

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Re: Speaker box inside spare tire well

    Originally posted by Cwave
    There is a really easy way to find out the volume of your tirewell. I had to do it in one of my previous cars when I had the fiberglass box done.

    Just get those popcorn stuffing (the ones you find from shipping packages) and fill your tirewell with that. You can choose to use real popcorn if you're REALLY hungry!

    Once you have done that, remove all of the popcorn and measure with something with measurement such as a blender or something. The easiest thing to use is a box that's 1 ft cube, possibly made out of cardboard.

    Hope this helps!

    Thanks that's a really good idea

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    It really isn't that hard to do. Here's a site that helped me out, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7165/how_to_1.htm

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic
    Posts
    1,242
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I just bought some fiberglass and fiberglass resin and im gonna give a custom sub enclosure a shot, im still trying to come up with something that will look cool hehe...Ill keep u guys updated on how it goes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. weird picture inside...

    By spyguy in forum General
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
  2. *notice*- lost spare tire cover found @ sept 2nd track day

    By Alpine Autowerks in forum Events and Meets
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 09-04-2002, 02:34 PM
  3. Spare wheel?

    By speedracer in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 07-12-2002, 01:18 PM
  4. Pics of my Supra I'm selling inside..

    By legendboy in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 06-02-2002, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •