Quantcast
Official 08/09 Snowboard Season Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 08/09 Snowboard Season Thread

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

made it out to louise yesterday after all.. it was soooo much fun even though it was only wiwaxy open.. take it easy on those first few runs.. saw someone on the snow patrol sled being taken down on every chair lift going up..

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Went to Louise for opening day yesterday. What can I say, it was actually pretty fun considering there was only 1 lift and 1 run open. No lines at all for the chairlift, we hit runs until our legs burned. As you can see from this picture, the riding is solely dependent on snowmaking right now, 0-5cm base in the off-piste areas.

So the riding was good (for what was open), but I still came away majorly disappointed. Let me explain. I checked the website on friday, it said 1 lift 1 run would be open, but at discounted prices. I figured the prices were reasonable at $39 for adult, $26.50 for student, and some other rates for seniors, kids etc. Since I am a student at UofC I figured I would pay $26.50, which would be fair for what is open. I even checked the website Saturday morning before I left, same prices.
    Well I get to the hill, go the ticket counter and ask for 1 student ticket. The guy tells me they are no longer offering student pricing. SINCE WHEN? Its the first day of the season, and I had checked the website less than 3hrs prior, and it showed student pricing. How they can discontinue student pricing in less than 3 hrs????? The guy insists I have to pay $39. Well I know its not his fault, but I argued with the guy for a good 5 minutes until there was a line 15 deep behind me, but I finally had no choice but to pay. $39 f*ing dollars, well at least the riding was good.
    This morning I check the website, and they've already changed the pricing page! It no longer says student, just adult ($39) and 13-17 yr old ($26.50). No student to be seen. I just want to extend a major to the lake louise management, their tactics are completely underhanded and unethical, I hope they don't get any snow this yr and are forced to shutdown. I for one will never be back, I can't justify giving these cons any more money, not after this. LONG LIVE SUNSHINE!
    And just for the record its not about the money, I could care less about $14, its about the blatant lying and disrespect for the customer. You can't put one thing on the website and then have people drive out for 2 hrs and charge something different. Big thanks to lake louise for putting a sour note on an otherwise great day. Rot in hell you bastards

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Sunshine hasn't had Student pricing for a while either. I wish they'd bring it back.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I went to Norquay. Dead as nails, with a dozen buds, quite a few huckruts, and a couple jibs. I had a blast.

Only $20. Snickered seeing all the punters, and gorbys heading to Louise.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

louise could till be in transition mode sine they changed management and are basically being run completely separate from the other RCR hills

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by cam_wmh
    I went to Norquay. Dead as nails, with a dozen buds, quite a few huckruts, and a couple jibs. I had a blast.

Only $20. Snickered seeing all the punters, and gorbys heading to Louise.
    Norquay is the most boring hill out of the big 3. I've skied there WAY too many times

Originally posted by Canmorite

Norquay is the most boring hill out of the big 3. I've skied there WAY too many times
    What but their park is AMAZING! One of the best kept secrets for parks.

I'm currently on my way out to snowboard these two quarter pipes and a jib me and some buddies made out back of a hockey arena...

My Ride
    FA1

In regards to Lake Louise, I was wondering if we can still use the Lake Louise pass for the other hills that are part of RCR? In particular Kimberly....

Also, what are the differences between Sunshine and Lake Louise? Last year I just went to Lake Louise I didn't mind it lots of room and it wasn't too too packed there when I went on the weekends.

I went to Sunshine once or twice but it was like the first day I got on a snowboard so I really didn't enjoy much of it if any of it in any of the areas I should have been in.

I'm just wondering what card to get and which hill to go to? I'm pretty n00b still and my girlfriend is as well. So whatever is better to learn on, etc..etc...

^ ^

I think louise is nicer for ppl who don't prefer flats or have trouble on flat zones.

Sunshine is:
    + closer
    + usually more "fresh" snow
    + quality of snow is there longer (you go up 1500ft via gondola)
    + PARK <---- esp since RCR f@cked the dog last year
    + fast quads galore

- flat
    - parking sometimes sucks d@ck
    - runs are short
    - visibility is shit most of the time... downfall of being 1500ft up

Lake Louise is
    + there awesome days are better then sunshines awesome days
    + runs are long, well defined, and not many flat spots
    + lots of capacity around the hill to get away from the rush
    + the summit platter is the bomb!

- further
    - no park... gay ass rcr
    - manmade snow on front
    - i think more difficult terrain (for beginners)

As a beginner I always liked louise better... but as i got better and more lazy i now prefer sunshine. For the park... and the short runs... the number of combinations of runs you can pull off chaining lots of short runs together is unlimited... just need to be able to ride proficiently to rip through flats/odd areas to chain em together.

Its closer which means i get more sleep.
    Last edited by cmodem; 11-10-2008 at 06:19 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Spoons

What but their park is AMAZING! One of the best kept secrets for parks.

I'm currently on my way out to snowboard these two quarter pipes and a jib me and some buddies made out back of a hockey arena...
    Last year they had a decent park, but years ago they had some crazy shit. Kinda gone downhill, and it's not nearly long enough.

Louise's park 3-4 years ago owned all

anyone know how much opening weekend will be at Sunshine? Saving my sunshine card if the savings are huge...
    J

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

fuck im jacked

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

just picked up some new gear! cant wait to get out and go on the snow haha

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Thanks tips. You laughing at your own befuddled logic?

2 of the 3 hills are open. The one I chose is almost an hour closer to home, 1/2 as much for a day pass, and has similar terrain open. Yep just a small swath of base-less man-made, with a half dozen huck ruts, and a couple lil jibs. I'm sure a "LOL" should be inserted here, no?

After 13 seasons, YES THIRTEEN, seasons as an RCR passholder, I was not obligated to be a poll sitter at the 500 this year, as I finally bit the bullet and bought a Sunshine pass. Unfortunately I caught wind too late, that Chuck bought Louise back from Edwards, and they should be building jumps again.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Last year they had a decent park, but years ago they had some crazy shit. Kinda gone downhill, and it's not nearly long enough.

Louise's park 3-4 years ago owned all
    Last season Norquay's park killed. A friend put on a sweet lil "anti" contest, fun ass time.

I wrote a feature on Louise Park when Patterson was cutting. It's too bad they couldn't market the park properly, "hi Mosteller "

The really shitty death was Nakiska. Clayton killllllllllllllllllllllled it with that park. Great flow, serious 'tang, & creative.

Folks have a place in Windermere, so I made it Panorama a few times last season. They have a fun nice park on skiers right now, in addition to the little one with the stunt ditch near the base on skiers left. I only met their park guy for a moment, and his name slips me. Great family hill, too bad they get the pineapple express so often.

But, if you are really all about the ramp farm, COP is where you should be. Wade has the place on lock.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by cam_wmh

Thanks tips. You laughing at your own befuddled logic?

2 of the 3 hills are open. The one I chose is almost an hour closer to home, 1/2 as much for a day pass, and has similar terrain open. Yep just a small swath of base-less man-made, with a half dozen huck ruts, and a couple lil jibs. I'm sure a &quot;LOL&quot; should be inserted here, no?
    I just got sick of Norquay. I went to school up there and skied that place everyday. It's closer and cheaper, but theres a whole 300 meters of run...

I just got sick of Norquay. I went to school up there and skied that place everyday. It's closer and cheaper, but theres a whole 300 meters of run...
    Oh yeah by no means is it super short. When I head up there I pretty well just hit the park, and that's it. Some runs are pretty fun and tech.

BTW RCR WILL HAVE JUMPS AGAIN THIS YEAR! New management, bringing the old school park back. Looks like Louise will be my favourite again.

My Ride
    G35x

I'm jacked up, picked up a Burton Custom for $370. I got it on clearance from a skate, surf, board shop on Melrose Ave, LA back in March!

Probably gonna hit Sunshine mostly, starting late November. On my list this year - Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Whistler, Big White.

Anyone ever do up Kimberley?

My Ride
    my bike

Pano trip booked for December, praying for snow

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by badseed

Anyone ever do up Kimberley?
    kimberley has some pretty bad ass terrain, just gotta skate your way there fackk.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast