Quantcast
Well paying jobs with lots of travel? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Well paying jobs with lots of travel?

Default Well paying jobs with lots of travel?

Subject basically says it all. Got an engineering degree, currently working the oil patch, went in with the hopes of lots of travel but not quite getting it. Gonna stick around for a while longer and hopefully get abroad, but other than that any ideas?

I always thought a lot of people (esp with families/significant other) didn't like travelling, so someone who did would be that much farther ahead.

Teaching English abroad would be nice, but I'd like to be earning at least 50-60ish k and doing technical work, comparable to other engineers with a few years experience.

Not that I have experience in this, but I'm wondering if you have expanded your search to international companies and highlighted other assets you might have that would benefit you in other countries?

But I have noticed that WorleyParsons has some employees who travel on business quite frequently.
    Last edited by Amysicle; 11-09-2008 at 09:33 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Man, offtopic, but it's shocking to see someone say they'd like to be earning such a realistic amount. Then I noticed you're from Halifax.

This same post by someone in Calgary would say they want at least 6 figures, an expense account, 2 months vacation, paid living expenses, and no taxes

My Ride
    CRF 250L

www.rigzone.com

Theres lots of postings for international work.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

marketing does a lot of travel, well at least in my company they do. I guess sales would also have travel as a requirement

there are TONS of engineering companies all over the world i'm sure you could find a position within one of them...

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Drug Mule?

seriously though maybe try changing oil companies (taqa north is expanding all over the world and wanting people). one of the bigger ones might have opportunity for moving to a different country. Or are you looking for 1 week in one place and then a week in another.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Try and get on with a company that does a lot of international work like Nexen? My Dad's an economist and travels to some pretty crazy places, so you just need to get in with the right company.

Originally posted by googe
    Man, offtopic, but it's shocking to see someone say they'd like to be earning such a realistic amount. Then I noticed you're from Halifax.

This same post by someone in Calgary would say they want at least 6 figures, an expense account, 2 months vacation, paid living expenses, and no taxes
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by WWJAI

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Yeah, 50-60,000 is a pretty damn good wage on the east coast.
    Back to the original question, companies like Weatherford have services all over the world or maybe Schlumberger. I am not sure they would send you to work somewhere else until you had alot of oilfield experience here first though.

Well I'm currently with SLB, supposed to be about the best for travel. Its a toss up whether I'll get abroad next year, but at the same time I don't know if I want it. Reason being here we work 15/6, and those 15 days are killer. Abroad you don't get the time off. You just work. At the end of 4 months you might get a couple weeks to do whatever, but that doesnt seem like a great deal. What good is being somewhere exciting if you only ever see a shop and the rig? Also currently in GP.

My Ride
    See sig

Hey Seadog,

A friend of mine was recently telling me about a company who specializes in sending oil workers to foreign regions, and not just rig pigs; engineers and Heavy mechanics also. I'll try and track him down and ask him the name of the company, I believe his son went through there and is now working in the UAE making about 120k as field engineer.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Become an international man whore!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc