Quantcast
Chocolate Condo = Dust Magnet? Why so much freaking dust!!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Condo = Dust Magnet? Why so much freaking dust!!!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Chocolate Condo = Dust Magnet? Why so much freaking dust!!!

Anyone else living in the Chocolate condo having a dust problem, or is it only us? Seriously, this shit is impossible. Is it because we don't have carpets and have just cement floors or what? It's filthy. We bought an air cleaner and put it in the bedroom to keep air in there semi clean, however, before it went there is was in the living room, and fuck did it suck up alot of dust.

Our lease renewal is coming up in a few month, and I am not sure if I want to continue to rent in this building or find some other place.

My folks house never had so much dust. Seriously, like 3 month of dust at my parents house is like 1 week of dust in this dust magnet.

Anyone else has any issues? Knows how to prevent dust coming in and all that? It just seems unnatural and unhealthy. I am thinking of pluggin all air vents in the place with some filter material. I did this with the vent by the door but made no difference. I really wish I could figure out where it's coming from and see if anyone else has this problem.

My Ride
    '11 FB25

It might be due to the intake air for the building is taking in all the dust from the surrounding construction sites. Find out where the intake is and see if that is what is causing it. I'm not sure there is much they can do. Maybe a better filtering system on the intake until construction is complete.

It is also possible that the ducts were not cleaned prior to occupancy. I know that at the Peter Lougheed expansion we are doing we have to seal all ducts to ensure no dust or contaminants are in the system the first time it is run.

My Ride

Anyone know where the central air intake into the appartment actually is? Is it that thing right as you walk inside the unit by the door, or the multiple outlets, one in the kitche, one in the living room and one in the bedroom on a 1 bedroom suite?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

The central air INTAKE will come from outside.

Do you have any sort of ceiling access to a mechanical unit (in laundry room, closet, etc?).

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't know if the internal air recirculated. May be there are quite a few units under reno.

Can you install filters at the heat outlet?

how about one of these...

My Ride

Originally posted by 88CRX
    The central air INTAKE will come from outside.

Do you have any sort of ceiling access to a mechanical unit (in laundry room, closet, etc?).

Yes I have ceiling access in the loundry room and I believe that is where the AC sits, don't know much else, but I can lift the roof panels and gain access to that area. I am thinking of putting some filtration on each outlet.

The heating in the unit is provided by hot water pipes, not through these outlets, the outlets inside the house seem to only be for AC as that is where the cool air is coming from when AC is turned on.

The mop thing that was shown is already used, well not exactly, but we use those static sheets adn they are discusting after just going along one wall.

My Ride
    04 Skyline 350GT TT

ask your property manager who is taking car of your buildings mechanical. Secondly ensure that the air grills in your hallway are clean. Dirty signs there will prove dirty filters. Secondly it could just be leaky windows after all condos need to breath. Third enusre you do not have a floor mat of anything blocking the gap under your door going to the hallway. It make proper air flow in your suite

544 wrhp 555 ft/lbs torque @ 15psi

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by sputnik
    how about one of these...

A dirty floor would be the least of my concerns.. imagine breathing that in every day... terrible.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

How dusty is your place? And what kind of dust are you getting? Is it construction type dust like fine particles of concrete, sand, etc?

Calgary is pretty dusty especially if youre living downtown and in a high traffic area or near construction. Id try to determine if you are getting a lot of dust or if its just a lot of dust compared to where youve lived before. Then Id try to figure out what the source of the dust is.

My Ride
    MKV GTI

I know in our Condo we have a filters inside all the units that are supposed to be replaced once a year. It filters the air from the central system before entering the unit itself. Maybe check with your property manager as others have suggested.

My Ride

Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
    Third enusre you do not have a floor mat of anything blocking the gap under your door going to the hallway. It make proper air flow in your suite
    Hum, my floormat did block the door, as it was going right under the door as well. It was taped down (from the bottom) to the floor so that it wouldn't slide. I just repossitioned it to give it a good 3 inch gap between the door and then mat, hopefully it will do something positive.

I didn't realize that gap was important.

There are a few consturctions nearby, so it could be from there. I will post pics in a week or so (as i wiped everything before I posted this) to give you an idea of type of dust we have.

My Ride
    Nissan Safari

I used to live just off 17th Ave and 8th St and the dust was insane. It was gross when the sun was shinny in just right so that you could see particle streams all over. Take a few pictures with the flash on a camera and you will see lots of little white dots all over the image. That is light reflecting off the dust.
    I think it might have something to do with downtown in general really.I have worked in lots of places in the beltline and they were all unreasonably dusty. Could have something to do with all the construction all over the place and stuff getting tossed up from cars on gravel alleyways.

Never had that much of a problem in the burbs.

My Ride
    Taco

^^^
    I live in the beltline and it gets extremely dusty, immediately after I clean my glass tables they're dusty again, PITA.

a) surrounding construction kicks up crazy dust
    b) downtown calgary is CRAZY dry and dusty
    c) The Chocolate condos are relatively new and the make up air units are most likely still circulating old drywall dust from the sanding/pre-painting stages.

Dust lots. That's all you can do.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

^
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    MKV GTI

Let me know how that air cleaner works out for you. Was thinking about one for my dusty place too.

My Ride

Originally posted by Ripper
    Let me know how that air cleaner works out for you. Was thinking about one for my dusty place too.
    I think it works good since its always full of filth, but I don't think its near big enough to handle our condo (just 1 bedroom). We placed it in the bedroom by itself but there is no door to the bedroom, so it's sucking in lots of dust, but its overwhelmed because there is too much space for it to try to clean, so really, I don't notice a difference with it on or off (mind you i don'nt know if our bedroom is any cleaner or not, since i don't pay attention so much, its the living room that is a dust trap.

Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
    ask your property manager who is taking car of your buildings mechanical. Secondly ensure that the air grills in your hallway are clean. Dirty signs there will prove dirty filters. Secondly it could just be leaky windows after all condos need to breath. Third enusre you do not have a floor mat of anything blocking the gap under your door going to the hallway. It make proper air flow in your suite
    anyone have more info on this gap under the door? i have a gap, but the air seems to be flowing inwards and bringing with it a lot of dust... after a week or so you can see the film of grey dust by the door...
    J

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Ripper
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

Get this. It's 1/2 off right now. Consider the replacement filter alone is over $100, it's a great deal.

I have a couple and it helps my allergy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast