Quantcast
Interac Email Money Transfers... safe? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Interac Email Money Transfers... safe?

Default Interac Email Money Transfers... safe?

So I'm planning a university reunion weekend in Montreal and I've found a sick place to rent, works out to $1110 for the weekend and the guy wants a $555 deposit... over Interac email money transfer. I told him I want to do it via credit card, but then he says PayPal (who the fuck uses paypal for this type of shit??!) would ding him pretty big.

If I email him the money and he ends up being a scammer, am I fucked? Or is there some type of recourse through the banks that would get me my money back?

Here's the site with the rental (it has links to his site, which has other rentals as well):
    http://www.loftsinmontreal.com/Mezza...oft_Suite.html

I found him on vacationrentals.com and other rental sites, he seems legit... what do you guys think?

Yes, you're fucked. There is no protection like as credit card. As far as the bank is concerned you know who you are sending the money to and you are resoncible for the transaction.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

I’m talking from personal experience. ALWAYS use paypal and offer to pay the %3 premium. EMT is like giving him cash in hand. There is no recourse outside of busting kneecaps. The police or your bank will do nothing even if the guy is a multi-million dollar scammer.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

^^ What those guys said.

I might be tempted to call and talk to him on the phone- ask him if you can get a little bit of a deal to cover the paypal charges.

BTW that place is SICK
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Originally posted by adamc
    I might be tempted to call and talk to him on the phone- ask him if you can get a little bit of a deal to cover the paypal charges.
    The seller pays paypal charges. Not the buyer.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by richardchan2002

In this case the seller doesn't want to use PayPal because of it and the OP doesn't feel secure using EMT, so offering to pay the PayPal fees may be a good compromise for both of them.

I haven't really used PayPal very much.

If I do end up getting fucked, how hard is it to get my money back via Paypal?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Don't do it! I've been reading on various internet forums that this is the latest internet scam. Post pictures of rental properties you don't own and they try to get the money via Western Union or via EMT (if you are in Canada).

Tell the guy you will pay the 3% surcharge on the paypal fees.......but even then, there is an element of risk as the guy could clear out his paypal account and take off.

My Ride
    Jag

Fuck that, did you talk to the guy over the phone?

Well, I just called the guy and said that my company won't allow me to make payments over Interac for deposits, so he has the option of Paypal today or payment in full upon arrival via certified cheque or cash (the rental is for this weekend).

He said it shouldn't be a big deal, as long as I sign the rental agreement he has no issues doing payment in full upon arrival. Sounds like it isn't a scam, which is a relief cause I'm looking forward to a weekend of debauchery in Montreal with a pimp pad!

My Ride
    MB C63

I say pay in full when you arrive but make sure you aren't shafted like he lets you stay one day then the place is locked off and he's no where to be found the rest of your stay.

I wouldn't pay anybody anything through money transfer, even paypal I try to avoid unless it's a last resort and if I do pay through paypal it's always with a credit card.

Doesn't seem as shady as some other places but you can never tell these days.

I gave a deposit via EMT when I rented a vacation condo in Kelowna. It was through ownerdirect.com. I was a little scared at first, but I phoned ownerdirect and asked them about the history they have with this particualar renter. They told me that this person had rented 15 times before with no complaints so that was enough for me..sent her the EMT and all was good.

mmm there is some scams though but yeah definitely research.

good thing your rental for the weekend isn't a scam though!

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by richardchan2002

LOL WTF... That's just an eBay rule, not a Paypal rule.

Fuck that's a nice place. And for the price, an absolute bargain compared to "5 star" hotels.
    Last edited by clem24; 11-11-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

FYI, paypal is a HASSLE to deal with

someone hacked my account about a year ago and was trying to steal about $7,000 worth of my "money"

i called paypal because they emailed me telling that their was suspicous activity within my account

took quite awhile and lots of waiting on hold and call backs and sending information etc etc to get it dealt with