Quantcast
How would a person attain a "Dealer plate" ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would a person attain a "Dealer plate" ?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Question How would a person attain a "Dealer plate" ?

Hi guys, first off thanks a lot for taking the time to read this
    this is for a smaller car/truck dealership to be started up, what would a person have to do to get their hands on one? what is the insurance typically like? and what is the yearly registration fees?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

I cant comment on cost of the garage policy, but to get a dealer plate you have to provide your insurance policy (garagemans), drivers licence and amvic licence. The cost is $159.45 for the full year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    08 X5

For a garage policy (what you need to get a dealer plate) under $10k in total value (vehicles) you will be looking at around 1000/year for one plate. Goes up by about 600 per plate.

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

Originally posted by Jynx
    For a garage policy (what you need to get a dealer plate) under $10k in total value (vehicles) you will be looking at around 1000/year for one plate. Goes up by about 600 per plate.
    You need a business license, AMVIC number and GST number. For cars up to $10 000, it is $1000 per year for insurance and ~150/year to register it. You also have to have private insurance (on ur own vehicle) before you can get insurance on a D-Plate. You also can not use the plate for personal use ( if caught it's a $500 ticket I heard)

My Ride

interesting. Thanks for the help. What is the insurance costs for vehicles over and above $10k? but under $30k?
    What is a "garage policy" specifically? I never heard of that.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Its just the type of policy that you have to buy. Its like a personal use policy or commercial. Just a name. Some places also refer to it as a blanket policy.

Originally posted by Toms-SC

About $3

hahahaha

nice.

My Ride
    08 X5

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    interesting. Thanks for the help. What is the insurance costs for vehicles over and above $10k? but under $30k?
    What is a "garage policy" specifically? I never heard of that.
    Just the name of the type of policy in question.

A guesstimate would be apprx $1300 for 30k

It goes up marginally from the initial $1000 base price.

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

most of this info is wrong....dont listen to any of it.

first get you amvic lic and make a company. then find a insurance company that gives out garage policies. you dont have to have a personal vehical insured to get a dealer plate.

i have a dealer plate with co-operators and i pay 500 bux a year.

and yes, you can get in shit for driving on a dealer plate if you are useing the vehical for personal use.(not 500 bux thow, its like a 230 bux ticket) but just say you are on a test drive and they cant do very much to you.

i mainly got it cuz i dont want to pay 1600 bux for insurance on my 75 caddy. i just screw on the D plate and drive it when i want.

^ Why wouldnt you get an antique plate and insurance? It cost less, the plate is life long and the insurance rate is lower.

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

Originally posted by Moe Man
    most of this info is wrong....dont listen to any of it.

first get you amvic lic and make a company. then find a insurance company that gives out garage policies. you dont have to have a personal vehical insured to get a dealer plate.

i have a dealer plate with co-operators and i pay 500 bux a year.

and yes, you can get in shit for driving on a dealer plate if you are useing the vehical for personal use.(not 500 bux thow, its like a 230 bux ticket) but just say you are on a test drive and they cant do very much to you.

i mainly got it cuz i dont want to pay 1600 bux for insurance on my 75 caddy. i just screw on the D plate and drive it when i want.
    Maybe the rules have changed in the past couple of years, but when I was in the process of getting a d-plate, I had to get a business license then AMVIC license. When I was calling around for insurance, the agent I talked to said you can not get insurance on a dealer plate if you don't have insurance on a private vehicle. Maybe the rules have changed. Thanks for the info on the ticket though, a friend of mine got pulled over for driving around with his d-plate, probably was exaggerating when he said $500.

Originally posted by dannie
    ^ Why wouldnt you get an antique plate and insurance? It cost less, the plate is life long and the insurance rate is lower.
    how old does the car have to be to qualify?
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

25 years or older

My Ride

WOW... why so much? Jesus.... $1600?

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

you have to get an apprasial on your car for classic insurance, i dont remember what else i had to do but it was such a pain in the ass, i only paid 2700 for the car, i dont really care what happens to it. they will apraise it for 7 grand and then the insurance says "hey a 7 grand caddy, cool now you will pay 1600 bux a year for this car". its bull shit, so i fucked with the system.

i curb the odd car hear and there, cuz i cant drive any of my personal cars in winter.

My Ride
    See sig

you have to get an apprasial on your car for classic insurance, i dont remember what else i had to do but it was such a pain in the ass, i only paid 2700 for the car, i dont really care what happens to it. they will apraise it for 7 grand and then the insurance says "hey a 7 grand caddy, cool now you will pay 1600 bux a year for this car". its bull shit, so i fucked with the system.

i curb the odd car hear and there, cuz i cant drive any of my personal cars in winter.
    So what are you using as your place of business? To retail cars a home occupation license will not suffice, you need to provide proof that you have a lot.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    w163

Originally posted by bituerbo

So what are you using as your place of business? To retail cars a home occupation license will not suffice, you need to provide proof that you have a lot.
    You can get a city of calgary business license and yes you can have a home occupancy permit for which there are some guidelines/restrictions.

Moe Man aren't you at supreme auto sales?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast