Quantcast
The Beyond 2009 F1 Season Thread - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beyond 2009 F1 Season Thread

Originally posted by rage2
    Oh shit we got our own forum?!?!?!

We don't have to post everything in 1 thread no more lol!
    lol, long over due IMO.

As for a F1 team based in the US, I guess we'll have to wait and see. It won't come online til 2010 at the earliest.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Oh shit we got our own forum?!?!?!

We don't have to post everything in 1 thread no more lol!
    So does this mean we are gonna have a separate thread for each race?

not a bad idea. It'll encourage more discussion.

My Ride
    Ice Resurfacing Machine

yeah i would be down for that... as a big F1 fan it would be nice to talk about the only decent racing out there.. and not that gay redneck left turn only weak ass attempt they call nascar
    "Cocaine is God's Way Of Telling You, You Are Making Too Much Money."

Looks like Bourdais will be back for another season. Toro Rosso just confirmed him. I was never a fan of his in Champ Cars and F1, but it will still be interesting to see how he does this year. There is no excuse now that he has a year under his belt.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The only reason Bourdais got his seat was because he was bringing in a shitload of sponsorship money for STR.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Wow just coming into this, so many terms and things to consider my heads about to blow.

Just read through the first and half of the second page of this thread, so much to know and think about i couldn't read the rest seemed gibberish.

Just from what i remember looking at the pics in first / second page, the BMW car is definitely ugly but the merc is badass. The front wing or whatever it is looks a bit bulky and long but it makes it look really good. Not sure how that would affect performance, all i know is the common sense stuff.

Obviously every second counts and its crazy reading all these posts on how precise the design of the car has to be and how precise the driver has to drive to get ahead. Very interesting stuff.
    Is there a schedule somewhere that shows exactly what time the tests, practice will be shown? On DishNetwork by the way.

Any links for the new guys would be great too, to learn about all these terms, like KERS which i managed to wiki.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'll be posting testing vids as they are available. No F1 on TV until the first race in March.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GT TDi

have they got onboard hd cams yet?
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

I'll be posting testing vids as they are available. No F1 on TV until the first race in March.
    Oh that sucks, i'll definitely be watching this thread for the vids then
    what do you look for in a practice/test? All it seems is the driver going around fast, but i've noticed some parts where the car shakes, that bad? should be watching for that? or just looking for the times?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by bart
    have they got onboard hd cams yet?
    BBC confirmed no HD this year. Just widescreen, like the last 2 years.

Originally posted by torob
    Oh that sucks, i'll definitely be watching this thread for the vids then
    what do you look for in a practice/test? All it seems is the driver going around fast, but i've noticed some parts where the car shakes, that bad? should be watching for that? or just looking for the times?
    It's tough to really read into testing times unless you can gather enough info on what each team is trying to accomplish for a particular test. BMW last year during winter testing was slow, but that was because they tested the entire winter on heavy fuel loads and tire wear management. The first race of 2008 Heidfeld surprised everyone and took the BMW home in 2nd.

I'll start a new thread for testing as soon as info starts coming down the wire. Watch for pics, vids and my analysis there.

The only reason Bourdais got his seat was because he was bringing in a shitload of sponsorship money for STR.
    oh maybe things changed... because wasn't he worried about his seat because he didn't have as much sponsorship money as other driver?

Default Re: F1 driver Webber seriously hurt

Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
    So he's back testing...
    Is he a good driver?

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by buh_buh
    Honda saved??

http://www.crash.net/formula+one/new..._f1_saved.html
    That's a BIG rumor... especially after missing so much testing time, but would be great to see them back in any case. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it will be powered by a Honda engine.

even if they are saved, they're destined to be a backmarker again.
    2 months of R&D time lost, testing time lost, chassis was built for a Honda engine, which they are no longer supplying.

Now they're saying only 4 races for Honda.
    Why do this at all? If this is just an attempt by Senna sponsors to get him into F1, I think its hurting him more than its helping. Getting Senna into a car that I have no doubt will not be competitive will only hurt his chances of getting into another seat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...one-honda-cash

My Ride
    TL

Sorry if this has been posted, but just read it last night. Thoughts?

Could U.S. F1 team in 2010 feature Danica Patrick?
    MADRID (AP) -- An American team will be racing in Formula One next year, and IndyCar driver Danica Patrick is a candidate to fill one of the seats.

USF1, which will be unveiled Feb. 24, will have a staff of at least 100, a working budget of $64 million and an aim to put two American drivers on the starting grid. The team is looking at several candidates, including the 26-year-old Patrick.

"She's great. She gets a lot of press," USF1 technical director Ken Anderson told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "(Indianapolis Motor Speedway president) Tony George would probably be pretty mad with me if I took her out of the IRL but we'll see.

"I don't know if it's something she wants to do. We'd certainly love to test her and go from there."

NASCAR driver Scott Speed, who raced 28 times for F1 team Toro Rosso from 2006-07, is also a candidate.

Conor Daly -- son of former F1 driver Derek Daly -- and Josef Newgarden are also being mentioned, with both drivers presently competing in European junior categories.

The team will be based in Charlotte, N.C., and with much of the technology coming from the United States it means "there are a lot of companies we can lean on to outsource," according to Anderson.

Calls by the AP to motor racing's governing body Sunday to confirm that USF1's entry had been accepted were not returned.

The team is currently looking for a secondary base in Europe, most likely sharing with Epsilon Euskadi's team headquarters in northern Spain.

"We're talking to (F1 engineer) Sergio Rinland about basing it at Espselon. It's a beautiful city, it's certainly on top of our list," said Anderson, who worked as a designer and engineer in F1 and IndyCar. "Spain makes a lot of sense with all the winter testing."

Epsilon Euskadi is active in Le Mans and there is a wind tunnel there that meets FIA standards.

Getting back into F1 was a no-brainer for Anderson.

"It's the biggest sport in the world and the biggest TV show in the world," he said. "NASCAR has just become a national sport, never mind an international sport."

With the global economic downturn, more independent teams are possible, especially since FIA president Max Mosley stepped in to reign in the costs with sweeping regulation changes and cost-cutting coming into effect to avoid any other teams from pulling out.

Honda's exit in December is no surprise to Anderson since the Japanese manufacturer's core business interests lay elsewhere.

"Mosley had to step in and stop F1 from killing itself with the manufacturers throwing ungodly money and people and resources at it. It's got to get back to a real business like Frank Williams owns Williams, Ron Dennis owns McLaren, Eddie Jordan owns Jordan and they all had to show a profit at the end of the year and, therefore, had to make intelligent decisions.

"One little hiccup like this and it's all sort of imploded."

The drop in costs has "leveled the playing field" although Anderson is targeting points to start.

Pete Windsor, a former team manager at Ferrari and Williams, will partner Anderson and run the competition side of the team.

Anderson remains a throwback to the late 80s and early 90s of F1 when he worked at Williams, Ligier and Onyx.

"In '92, the Williams was the coolest car ever with active suspension, (anti-brake system), that was kind of the peak of technology and their budget for that was less than 30 million pounds," Anderson said. "I missed the days when we could do some crazy things."

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Anti-brake system? What the hell is that?

Danica for F1.. She's good looking, but she's not even the best IRL driver. It would be a good show and a spectacle, but she would probably not be competitive. She's supposed to do some A1GP this year, and even there she's not expected to be very competitive. Just think of F1 then! haha.

Put her in GP2 like the rest of the wannabes. By next season I'm sure there will be at least a couple stand-outs. Though I guess it would do well to bring in a larger American audience.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast