Quantcast
The Beyond 2009 F1 Season Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beyond 2009 F1 Season Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default The Beyond 2009 F1 Season Thread

2009, here we come!

The 2009 cars are gonna look kinda silly .

The sides is still 2008 spec, 2009 spec should look a lot simpler.

Here's a look at the F2009 differences.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I actually don't mind that Williams shot, but the Ferrari looks bad. Maybe because it has no livery on it. But once they put on slicks, it'll look better too. That front wing is WIIIDE.

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

interesting differance on the car... i thought they always ran slicks?? and only not if it was raining?

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

They've been on grooved tires since '98.

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

ohh gotcha... didnt even notice haha

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

The '09 cars will be

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I think the new front wings are gonna be brutal for 1st lap carnage haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2006 Magnum SRT8

Man that rear wing looks wierd, just like they were in the 80's. Are slicks back for sure as I thought I read it was still up in the air?

Rage is right, those front wings will be all over the track until they spread out after a lap or two.

Nice to see all those winglets and spoilers off the side go though.

Hopefully Montreal returns and I will get to see them in person.

Mike
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I suggest you spend less time watching sex in the city and more time looking for your penis.

^ Without all the upperbody aero they remind me of any other formula series.......They might as well pass out a spec chassis. I won't be surprised if the FIA eventually forces a spec engine on them

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by mikemechanic

Hopefully Montreal returns and I will get to see them in person.

Apparently, all hope is lost for next year...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44618

which is a crying shame really... hopefully they get some sort of North American date for 2010.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Senna will be testing with Honda tomorrow.
    I hope he gets a race seat for 09' !

Should be some interesting pics from the session, apparently they will be using a modified 08' car.

Originally posted by ryanallan
    Senna will be testing with Honda tomorrow.
    I hope he gets a race seat for 09' !
    I hope not... and I'm a Honda fan.
    I don't think Senna's a horrible driver, but I have a feeling he's on a similar or lesser skill level than Piquet. He was on a strong team, and didn't amaze me in any of his gp2 drives this year. If his name wasn't Senna, he wouldn't be getting as much press as he is. But he doesn't have much experience in a race car, so there's still room to improve and his results have been pretty good for someone who hasn't been racing that long. But I would love to see a Senna back in Honda, just for reminiscence sake.

With everyone unveiling brand new cars for this year because of the new regulations, they'll need as much good feedback on the car as possible, and Barrichello's been around, and knows how a good car should feel like, and obviously has the experience to give good feedback for the engineers to help them make the car better. Honda needs to focus on building a better car this year, not just sign a big name, although Alonso couldn't have hurt the team.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Barachello needs to retire and write his book...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...13100740.shtml

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

They won't look silly. Just think of how weird/absurd the shape is and has been since forever anyway, it's just one's associations with something. I.e. it will 'grow on you'. Almost anything can be made to seem cool with enough associations for it (advertising/sponsorship/exposure).

I recently read up on the new car and the regulations. The thing was that using some one turn as example, the 2008 car would need to be 4 seconds faster per lap to overtake by that turn if no one makes any mistakes. That's not very good for overtaking, which is what the public wants more of. They predict the 2009 car will just need to be 2 seconds per lap faster to get by the car in front of it.

The idea is to lower the downforce and the dependance on it and raise the mechanical grip instead. Ecclestone/mosley FIA guys think it'll be a 50% cut compared to the 2008 model, but insiders think it'll just be about 25% once the genius engineers are done working on it.

The raised rear wing stuff makes the after flow much less turbolent and makes it easier to follow in the wake without losing grip.

The front wing is larger presumably to deal with following in the wake of a car in front.

The front wing is also adjustable from the steering wheel knobs - two adjustments can be made per lap. This too is intended to be used when following close to a car and trying to overtake, so you don't understeer in high speed bends.

The new slick tyres make the car turn better, obviously, and leads to higher grip on the front tires as a result (you mostly need grip on the fronts for turning obviously as they're the only ones turning the car). As such, the teams want to move the weight distribution to the front of the car. KERS won't be placed up front and will make this difficult.

As for KERS.. seems very mysterious and hard to predict. It's supposedly optional for 2009 but most teams think they have to use them to win races. But development isn't going very well. They are a device with notable weight (maybe 30kg?) that can give a boost of perhaps 50ish hp now and then. If stuff works out.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Holy shit Mikko, it's been years! How have you been? Nice to see ya back here!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mikko
    As for KERS.. seems very mysterious and hard to predict. It's supposedly optional for 2009 but most teams think they have to use them to win races. But development isn't going very well. They are a device with notable weight (maybe 30kg?) that can give a boost of perhaps 50ish hp now and then. If stuff works out.
    The biggest problem with KERS right now is how they'll effectively use it while maintaining good weight distribution. With the new aero rules and slick tires, teams are predicting a more forward weight distribution for a competitive package. With KERS adding 30kg to the rear they'll have a lot less ballast available to shift the weight forward. Some teams such as Toyota are planning NOT to use KERS because they believe the better weight distro will get more time than the 0.3s/lap KERS will provide.

The team that solves this huge problem, KERS with optimal weight distro, will dominate the field.

Williams is using a 100,000+rpm flywheel energy storage system, which supposedly is lighter and more consistent than using battery storage. If that's the case, we may see Williams up top again.

slicks are looking sexy!

Senna 6 seconds off the pace in an 08 spec car I believe.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Holy shit Mikko, it's been years! How have you been? Nice to see ya back here!
    It's been very long. But because I knew some people (I don't talk to a single one of them anymore though) who frequent this forum, and I remember the drama/attitudes and other things, I've come back to read maybe every 1½ years. Now I felt like replying.

Life has been unkind to me to say the least. Not super-bad but compared to most out there. I hope I can turn it around.

Could you do me a favour and check when I made my very first post here? My memory is fuzzy and I'm dead tired at the moment. And you probably know your way around the system well too.

Williams is using a 100,000+rpm flywheel energy storage system, which supposedly is lighter and more consistent than using battery storage. If that's the case, we may see Williams up top again.
    I heard something about flywheels too, which seems absolutely crazy. 100k+ rpms. How the hell do you 'tap into' that energy afterwards? It's beyond me how it works. But it sure is fascinating. It's great that F1 always changes. One of the least static motorsports out there.

I've only recently become hooked on circuit racing and F1 (touring/GT cars are tons of fun too). Before, I was just interested in the most technical tracks/driving which was rally racing. Finally discovered the fun in having a less advanced/challenging place to race on, but having tons of people involved instead. Still don't care for oval racing however..

slicks are looking sexy!
    Senna 6 seconds off the pace in an 08 spec car I believe.
    That car doesn't look strange or bad at all does it? It grew on me in about 1 second. It's nice to see slicks back. There's something about them that says 'hardcore'.

When they say off the pace, I wonder if that's compared to the last Honda or the lead car. Also that's Senna's first in a F1 car, which is very undeveloped as of yet I'm sure (might be heavy with KERS without solving the new slicks/weight distribution issues, bla bla).
    Last edited by Mikko; 11-17-2008 at 10:32 AM.

I actually like the looks of these cars from certain angles. But from some angles I really don't like it. The BMW I posted I actually like. Direct side view looks good too.
    Senna 6 seconds off the pace is to the first place Toro Rosso driven by Sato He also only did 16 laps.
    Still over 5 seconds off Wurz in a Honda, but I have no idea whose on slicks and or grooved tires or '08 or '09 wings. I do believe Senna is on a complete '08 setup. Another notable is Loeb who fared pretty well in his first real f1 test.

1. T. Sato Toro Rosso Toro Rosso STR3 1:20.763 78 pit
    2. S. Buemi Toro Rosso Toro Rosso STR3 1:21.071 +0.308 76 pit
    3. A. Wurz Honda RA108 1:21.198 +0.435 51 pit
    4. P. de la Rosa de la Rosa McLaren MP4-23 1:21.417 +0.654 38 pit
    5. G. Paffett McLaren MP4-23 1:22.235 +1.472 47 pit
    6. R. Kubica BMW Sauber BMW Sauber F1.08 1:22.899 +2.136 36 pit
    7. N. Piquet Jr. N. Piquet Jr. Renault R28 1:23.018 +2.255 65 pit
    8. L. Badoer Ferrari F2008K 1:23.515 +2.752 50
    9. N. Hülkenberg N. Hülkenberg Williams FW30 1:23.608 +2.845 75 pit
    10. S. Loeb Red Bull Racing Red Bull Racing RB4 1:23.617 +2.854 63 pit
    11. C. Klien BMW Sauber BMW Sauber F1.08 1:23.685 +2.922 25 pit
    12. A. Sutil Force India Force India VJM-01 1:23.852 +3.089 60 pit
    13. M. Gene Ferrari F2008K 1:24.521 +3.758 12 pit
    14. V. Liuzzi Force India Force India VJM-01 1:24.530 +3.767 53 pit
    15. G. van der Garde van der Garde Renault R28 1:24.903 +4.140 27 pit
    16. L. Di Grassi Di Grassi Honda RA108 1:25.512 +4.749 48 pit
    17. B. Senna B. Senna Honda RA108 1:26.638 +5.875 16 pit

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Could you do me a favour and check when I made my very first post here? My memory is fuzzy and I'm dead tired at the moment. And you probably know your way around the system well too.
    Your first post: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...8232#post78232

I heard something about flywheels too, which seems absolutely crazy. 100k+ rpms. How the hell do you 'tap into' that energy afterwards? It's beyond me how it works. But it sure is fascinating. It's great that F1 always changes. One of the least static motorsports out there.
    From what I read, it's a flywheel with magnets attached to it, so in "charge" mode the magnets polarity is flipped so energy going to it increases the flywheel's speed. When it's time to use the power, the magnet's polarity reverses, and it goes into discharge mode, so it begins to release power back the other way. It's just a lightweight method of storing electrical energy without a battery.

Originally posted by buh_buh
    Senna 6 seconds off the pace is to the first place Toro Rosso driven by Sato He also only did 16 laps.
    Still over 5 seconds off Wurz in a Honda, but I have no idea whose on slicks and or grooved tires or '08 or '09 wings. I do believe Senna is on a complete '08 setup. Another notable is Loeb who fared pretty well in his first real f1 test.
    I believe all the teams still using the '08 spec cars have already trimmed the downforce level to match the '09 cars, thus a huge drop in pace for everyone.

Also, most first time testers take at least a few days to get used to the level of downforce and grip in F1 cars. When Hamilton first tested, he was way off the pace too, which is why McLaren was debating between him, Paffett and De La Rosa for '07. We all know how that turned out .

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast