Quantcast
Moving Provinces - What has to be changed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving Provinces - What has to be changed?

Question Moving Provinces - What has to be changed?

I've recently moved into a different province.

- I've changed my health care over.
    - I'm not really planning on driving for a bit and have a car registered and insured in Calgary still. How does this work when I have to swap licenses?
    - Do I have to inform my bank?
    - Rogers swapped my number no problem.

I'm I forgetting anything? First and hopefully last time I have to do this.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

contact bank (credit cards too) and gov't.. Insurance is usually only good for 30 days after you leave, and then you're 'sposed to get a new licence and insurance.. Other then that it's just your regular bills that have to be switched, and finally the people you know who may be sending you shit..

What province did you move to? I can give you info on the car and the drivers licence.

BC
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

just go to the ICBC express and pay the 35 bucks to tansfer licence, they give you a bulky yellow copy then 2 weeks later you get the photo one... you will need a second pce of id other then your drivers licence,

if you live in the lower mainland...there is a good ICBC thats never busy on 152nd near the mall in fleetwood area... well i think its fleetwood

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

Ok, for your vehicle and licence you have 90 days from the day that you maintain residency in BC to switch it all over. For your drivers licence, you will need your AB drivers licence another piece of government ID and proof of address.

For the vehicle, you will have to undergo an inspection just like Alberta requests when a vehicle is from another province. The only thing different about the registration and insurance there is that its all in one. Its not like Alberta where your plates and insurance are seperate. You do it all in the ICBC branch. When your vehicle passes inspection, they will make you fill in a plate surrender form saying that you now have BC plates. Its super simple.

Your insurance though will depend on the insurance co that you are with here in Alberta. Some will cover you for 30 days and some will cover you for 90 days in that new province. You need to find out which one it is. Reason being, is that if you are in BC for 5 months and didnt change anything over and got into an accident, your insurance co can choose to not pay out because you are no longer a resident and you didnt inform them of a change.

As far as other things are concerned, my best suggestion for people would be to go thru your wallet first. Update everything in there. Rogers Video, Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Drivers Licence etc. The other thing I would check on are any utility bills here in Alberta. If you had an Enmax bill, make sure you receive an inactive account statement.

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_getlic_id_reqs.asp
    Last edited by dannie; 11-15-2008 at 01:37 AM.

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

Originally posted by dannie
    Ok, for your vehicle and licence you have 90 days from the day that you maintain residency in BC to switch it all over. For your drivers licence, you will need your AB drivers licence another piece of government ID and proof of address.

actually 2 of those are incorrect well they work and all but you dont need them to that degree

you dont have to have another piece of government ID you can use these also
    Bank Card( if it has your name on it)
    credit card
    employee card ( with picture)
    old sin card... only if it has the signature on the back of it, the new ones cannot be used...

and also proof af address is not needed they just ask you for your current address so they can mail out the hard copy to you... i know this for the reason i had mine switched over not to long ago...

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

If you go in without a government issued ID, your file will say that you are a MVI Candidate. This applies if he ever comes back to Alberta. If he is an MVI Candidate, he will have to provide additional ID to Alberta Registries before getting an Ab licence again.

My Ride
    Fat Boy riding a Fat Boy

Originally posted by 5000Audi

actually 2 of those are incorrect well they work and all but you dont need them to that degree

credit card
    old sin card... only if it has the signature on the back of it, the new ones cannot be used...

and also proof af address is not needed they just ask you for your current address so they can mail out the hard copy to you... i know this for the reason i had mine switched over not to long ago...
    When I changed my DL last year, I had to have my Birth certificate as well as my AB DL. My wife even had to have her marriage certificate to prove name change.

Originally posted by S4maniac

When I changed my DL last year, I had to have my Birth certificate as well as my AB DL. My wife even had to have her marriage certificate to prove name change.
    Exact same thing for me. I even brought in my passport the first time and they said it didn't count, it needed to be something like a birth certificate. Pain in the ass.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Moving Provinces - What has to be changed?

Originally posted by Toms-SC

I'm I forgetting anything? First and hopefully last time I have to do this.
    Depending on your income level, save some money for tax time. You may get raped.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    BC
    right on man what city/town?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1989 CRX

Originally posted by 5000Audi

credit card

actually, you need your birth certificate to get your license as i just got this done about 2 weeks ago after driving around bc with my alberta license and plate for about 10 months

bc has lower taxes than alberta

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by 300rwhp
    bc has lower taxes than alberta
    Only below $125,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Lease

Change your VoIP billing/home address if u use that

Remember that Ontario family living in Alberta, never switched their VoIP Ontario address and something happened to their child; when they called 911 (in Alberta), it automatically routed to Ontario's 911... and I think the kid past away because of the delay.

Good information in here. Thanks all.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default Re: Re: Moving Provinces - What has to be changed?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Depending on your income level, save some money for tax time. You may get raped.
    on that note, keep all of your receipts related to anything dealing with your moving expenses.

you may be able to claim all of your expenses on your taxes. i think the rule is that if the difference in distance between your old residence and new workplace vs your new residence and new workplace is greater than 40km you can claim it all. i'd verify this with CRA first. i was able to claim about $5000 when i moved from vancouver to here. all costs related to xfering your driver's license, registration, utilities cancellation and setup can all be claimed.
    Tim

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If you get GST rebate cheques or anything make sure to notify revenue canada, also notify elections canada of your move

IIRC you can only claim moving expenses if your job REQUIRED you to move, not if you just pack up and move.

If you are taking up residence in BC hurry up and change your vehicle and DL over right away (unless you seriously aren't going to be driving at all). That ticket is pretty nasty and the cops aren't very easy going about it.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

air care inspection - you'll have to look into this a little more, but i believe all cars are required to pass a carbon emissions test in order to be insured...

if you have a new address you should get Canada post to forward your mail - very simple form to fill out at any Canada post store. Around $40 to forward mail for 6 months. Even if you've changed all your addresses over it's still worth it just in case you missed something or the change never went through.
    J

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast