Quantcast
Used Car Audio/Video? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Used Car Audio/Video?

Default Used Car Audio/Video?

Is buying used car audio/video a good idea? I am trying to decide if I should buy used or new but I'm not sure if it's the right move. I might just buy a used deck and new subs/amp, what do you guys think?

I have purchased many used decks and amps, all great deals.

Speaker wise, I have bought both new and used.. no issues.

Box's I have built myself, and I have always bought the subs new for some reason.

Originally posted by Alterac

Box's I have built myself, and I have always bought the subs new for some reason.
    Well subs can be blown I suppose as far as buying a used deck I don't see why I shouldn't.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Well, I buy everything used for the most part. Car audio depreciates like you wouldn't believe. In my last big stereo install, I bought about $8k worth of audio equipment for it, for $1k. MSRP being $8,000 for everything really. Frankly I'd much rather let somebody else take a HUGE financial hit. I dont mind buying one or two year old equipment for a fraction of the cost.
    I do my research first, and I buy my stuff from the same seller on here, Mainly the ///Loud Load\\\ guy on here, which I've known for years. He finds great deals from other people, as he's big into the competition scene, and a Retailer himself, so I just buy it from him. Saves me boat loads of cash.
    For a show winning install, obviously it makes sense to buy it new, in immaculate condition, but I dont care if my ($3k new) amp (that I bought for $1100) has a small scratch or two on it.
    I buy my CD decks new though, as I find used ones almost always have quirks about them.

With subs you have to know how to tell a worn sub. Its best to hook it up and give it some serious juice right then and there to tell for damage and old age.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-16-2008 at 09:07 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Well, I buy everything used for the most part. Car audio depreciates like you wouldn't believe. In my last big stereo install, I bought about $8k worth of audio equipment for it, for $1k. Frankly I'd much rather let somebody else take a HUGE financial hit. I dont mind buying one or two year old equipment for a fraction of the cost.
    I do my research first, and I buy my stuff from the same seller on here, Mainly the ///Loud Load\\\ guy on here, which I've known for years. He finds great deals from other people, as he's big into the competition scene, and a Retailer himself, so I just buy it from him. Saves me boat loads of cash.
    Is that right, I saw a thread of his, and he seems like he knows his stuff, perhaps he would be the guy to talk to. Thanks.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ yeah Clay is a very knowledgable guy, and very trustworthy. I havn't yet tested anything I've bought from him, before buying it as I know it works just as he described it.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Haxor, and a Jimbo

Damn that handsome devil lol thanks for the kind words Graham.
    Worlds loudest daily driver, and Bassracer!

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

Originally posted by Alterac

Box's I have built myself