Quantcast
does the brand of CAI matter? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: does the brand of CAI matter?

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

Default does the brand of CAI matter?

does it matter what brand of CAI you buy? who has the best record? theres a big price gap in intakes and i was wondering why
    A$$

Clem is offline FLAMESFAN 4LIFE-Canes in 4
    My Ride
    Turbo AWD Sled

IMHO the 2 main factors are design and materials.

1. Where does the CAI draw in air

2. Does the material the CAI is made out of asorb much heat (which you don't want)

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Archie (B18C) did an actual temp. comparison between a CAI and a SRI. IF you go tho www.403honda.com, you'll find his whole thesis/anlalysis on this subject. Basically he found that the differences in intake temp. in a SRI was 10degF higher than that in a well-known CAI. This diff. in temp. equalled to approx. 1hp. With this being said, it's up to YOU to spend the extra $200-$250 for '1hp.' I think if you're going to go all out on your engine, then yes, you definitely want the most hp you can squeeze out of your engine. But if all your going to do is mild bolt-ons, than I quote the I.N.G. Direct dewd, "Save your money!" Just my $0.02, based on Archie's $0.02

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Originally posted by cocoabrova
    Archie (B18C) did an actual temp. comparison between a CAI and a SRI.
    Keep in mind that B18C's car is far from stock and is also equipped with forced induction. Also, his name-brand CAI is not the one I favor For a better test take a stock '97> 'Lude and try back to back dynos with an AEM CAI and then a basic Ractive SRI. Now, are you looking at the peak numbers or the entire curve?

There is more to it that intake temp...intake "tuning" is where the key lies and there is only one Honda/Acura company that I know does it right....AEM! I won't get into a long debate out intake tuning but suffice to say that it is VERY important area if you want maximum power and torque across the entire powerband.

Rob

hey rob can i get a intake for my car?!?!?!?! hehe
    http://www.sfu.ca/~joh/teg/fastlane.gif

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Intake temperature can be easily solved with insulation

Iceman also engineers their intakes.

Originally posted by E36S50B32

Keep in mind that B18C's car is far from stock and is also equipped with forced induction. Also, his name-brand CAI is not the one I favor For a better test take a stock '97> 'Lude and try back to back dynos with an AEM CAI and then a basic Ractive SRI. Now, are you looking at the peak numbers or the entire curve?

There is more to it that intake temp...intake "tuning" is where the key lies and there is only one Honda/Acura company that I know does it right....AEM! I won't get into a long debate out intake tuning but suffice to say that it is VERY important area if you want maximum power and torque across the entire powerband.

Rob
    Yes, my car is far from stock but I think the principles are still the same. My intake is an Injen, which for all of you that don't know, is a company that was started by an ex-AEM empolyee. It's design is VERY similar to that of the AEM except that it has a 3" Diameter (like the ITR AEM intake) and is a 2-piece. From what I can gather, the extra pipng of the CAI is supposed to create a resonance effect whcih increases intake velocity at low to mid RPM's. This is what causes that famous AEM hump at 4000-5000rpm, which is where AEM makes all their big hp gains (10-15whp). That is great and all but if you look at any dyno graphs comparing a 3" AEM CAI with that of a 3" shorty you see that that is the ONLY range that the AEM is superior. Where that extra piping gets in the way is in the high RPM range. Above 7500rpm the CAI just gets in the way.

That said, I'm not telling everyone not to get a CAI. All the dynos that I have seen comparing SRI's and CAI's have been on pretty done up cars. The problem is that no one that only does minor bolt-ons seems to care about testing intakes.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

my cars not excally stock, but idont have a s/c or turbo either

i have the akimoto rs intake, and was thinking of switching the the aem cai
    but theres so much mixed info its hard to get proper info ya know.
    A$$

Let me clear a few things up from my point of view...

For me, the cold-air extension was simply not worth it. For some it may be. I'm sure that AEM didn't still a zillion CAI's for nothing. I don't think there will be a clear cut answer for you but if you really want the best intake for your car, I would suggest doing some more research. For the most part, people just don't care because in reality you are really only talking about a few hp.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I say comptech ice box is the only way to go!

My Ride
    07 E92 335i

Well I was able to test both the ice box and the CAI on my car.
    With the ice box I honestly couldn't feel any noticible gains. It was louder because I had removed the resonator box, but other than that the feel was pretty much stock. When I installed my Injen CAI, right after I started it up I could tell a difference.
    That thing sucks air from 750rpm all the way up to 8400!
    Once my VTEC open up, it screams like a 16 year old girl!

Another reason for buying a CAI is if you are planning on doing some FI later on and need some intercooler piping...voila!

I love my CAI....until I get my turbo!

Voodoo Child